Sonic & Knuckles Collection not working on Dell OptiPlex GX150

LeaflameSD

OK, so here is the deal.

I tried to play this game on Windows 95C, but when it went past the SEGA logo, it froze my whole computer. I disabled MIDI sound and then it worked. Tried of Windows 98 SE, but same thing happened. I installed Direct X, but same thing happened. Can you guys give me any pointers?

EDIT: Reinstalled Win98 SE due to problems, and Direct X 8.0 (From Virtua Tennis PC version).

Edited by LeaflameSD

So from what I understand, the only way you can get it to work is if you disable MIDI?

What is your soundcard model? Might as well post your complete specs since you're talking about an old computer and there is no way I can reasonably expect that you are still at the original specs for the Optiplex GX150.

For reference, here are the game's requirements:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sonic-knuckles-collection/techinfo

I don't personally have this game, so I can't test it.

The system specs for Dell OptiPlex GX150 are:

Intel Pentium 3 933MHZ processor

256MB SDRAM

Intel 815E chipset

3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

Intel 3D with AGP

Onboard nVidia Riva TNT2 (Currently using as graphics)

Sound Blaster emulation: Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec (SoundMAX x86 VM General MIDI server)

Windows 98 Second Edition.

The audio is funny too, it sounds OK but is a pitch higher.

Is there something wrong here?

Edited by LeaflameSD

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also interested. Have an old copy here that I never could get to work in XP, which the box says it supports. (Maybe that's why I found it in the bargain bin...)

I'm also interested. Have an old copy here that I never could get to work in XP, which the box says it supports. (Maybe that's why I found it in the bargain bin...)

I've actually made it work on Vista by installing it in Windows 98 compatibility mode...

Leaflame, I am not sure which version you are using, but there should be a couple of options for sound/video in the file menu. I will have to get back to you.

EDIT: Reinstalled it today on Vista, and it works without compatibility mode!

Will send screenshots of options later, hopefully they will be of assistance.

Edited by UltimateSilence

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Try going to senntient. It is a website that is runned by Sonic Xtreme and Sonic 2 workstaff. Sonic 2-Knuckles was made in the USA,

under Nanka. They have all kinds of Sonic nuts over their.

Their should be a fix for Sonic CD, PC listed on the website, browse the forums, and do a search. Back then Direct X ( DIrect Sound, Direct Video, Direct etc were all differnt components, and was made along side Sonic CD PC version. Somebody made a fix for the Sonic CD PC game. There might be a fix for that game as well. The same problem probably occurs with Comix Zone and Earthworm Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

It might be related to how the game is designed for a 486 and you have a Pentium 3.

The game was actually designed for a Pentium. Even if it was designed for a 486, it should still run on newer Intel CPUs unless it used undocumented instructions.

The emulation backend used in the game is written by a friend of mine, in very high performance assembly code. I never had issues with the game on my PIII or P4 machine. There is a patched program executable that fixes "way too fast" problem.

I would suggest taking an emulator such as Kega Fusion 3.64 and play the original games themselves.

Edited by TmEE