Microsoft is almost dead.

vipejc

As long as Microsoft keep removing features and customization for no reason other than dumbing down ("simplifying"), they ARE a bully. There is a drastic difference in the way Windows was made up to XP and the releases following that. Look at Task Manager for example. From NT 4.0 to Windows 7, it improved incrementally. In Windows 8, it's "improved" but it's worse than ever. But there is objectivity be damned. Users don't get it, if Microsoft says it's "improved", then by all means it must be improved.

The real skill was if they have improved it making all the nice additions (which it does have) without breaking/re-imagining existing design.

As long as Microsoft keep removing features and customization for no reason other than dumbing down ("simplifying"), they ARE a bully. There is a drastic difference in the way Windows was made up to XP and the releases following that. Look at Task Manager for example. From NT 4.0 to Windows 7, it improved incrementally. In Windows 8, it's "improved" but it's worse than ever. But there is objectivity be damned. Users don't get it, if Microsoft says it's "improved", then by all means it must be improved.

The real skill was if they have improved it making all the nice additions (which it does have) without breaking/re-imagining existing design.

Microsoft just changes stuff to change stuff and makes the less perceptive think it's better and fresh. They don't make intelligent changes that actually improve the OS.

Microsoft just changes stuff to change stuff and makes the less perceptive think it's better and fresh. They don't make intelligent changes that actually improve the OS.

A lot of techies have been wanting a better task manager for years. The new task manager is fine... kinda like a strange hybrid of ProcExp, but I think the only real problem I have with it is that it uses the Executable Name in the task list and not the Process filename. This is a problem because if some programs are not written very well (no duh huh?) and their names appear as generic listings. I should be able to get a screenshot of this behaviour in a little bit.

Here I posted the picture in this thread:

Edited by Tripredacus

Guys, I don't have time to argue all your points, so I'll just say this. Everything Microsoft does, I would do differently. If you're happy with the new Microsoft management, that's your business. I've spoken my mind, and hopefully many will adopt my thinking and refuse to give a company that instead of innovates their products constantly and makes people want to upgrade, ignores innovation and tries to force upgrades. Enjoy Windows Vista, 7, and soon 8. Microsoft is a bully. And you have two choices: either beat up the bully, or willingly hand it your lunch money.

I suggest you go and check out this thread, where you will see very little love expressed for Microsoft management. The thread started out as a follow-up review of Windows 8 from a "not highly technical" user's viewpoint, but has evolved into a discussion of everything that's wrong with MSFT.

Short version: We'll enjoy Windows 7 (and some of us, Vista), but certainly not Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Windows 7 is nothing more than XP on eye-candy (Aero Glass UI) with a few super lame new features. Yeah, as if I'm paying a penny for that when my custom XP looks just as good.

Windows 7 is not just XP with eye-candy (I *hate* it when people say that...they said the same thing about Vista :no: )

It's built on the secure foundation of Windows Vista!

And Aero isn't just "eye-candy". :blink:

Excellent overview of Vista that you found there, UltimateSilence. I'm still making my way through it. :)

--JorgeA

Guys, I don't have time to argue all your points, so I'll just say this. Everything Microsoft does, I would do differently. If you're happy with the new Microsoft management, that's your business. I've spoken my mind, and hopefully many will adopt my thinking and refuse to give a company that instead of innovates their products constantly and makes people want to upgrade, ignores innovation and tries to force upgrades. Enjoy Windows Vista, 7, and soon 8. Microsoft is a bully. And you have two choices: either beat up the bully, or willingly hand it your lunch money.

I suggest you go and check out this thread, where you will see very little love expressed for Microsoft management. The thread started out as a follow-up review of Windows 8 from a "not highly technical" user's viewpoint, but has evolved into a discussion of everything that's wrong with MSFT.

Short version: We'll enjoy Windows 7 (and some of us, Vista), but certainly not Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Hey, Jorge. I'm aware of that thread. If we want to save desktop computing, we must encourage every Windows user we can to not purchase Windows 8. Microsoft only listens when their finances take a nose dive. Imagine a non-desktop computer world with mini screens and buttons. Absolutely nothing would get done - no more graphics editing, no more video editing - no more audio editing...

I'm not sure I agree that Microsoft is a bully, but you're entitled to your opinion. You seem especially vitriolic lately, though.

You should be, too. Microsoft is trying to turn Windows into a POS and force upgrades. Watch Windows 9 come out three months after 8. Next, Microsoft is going to SIMPLIFY their standard 1-year warranty to 10 days. LOL

Edited by vipejc

A lot of techies have been wanting a better task manager for years. The new task manager is fine... kinda like a strange hybrid of ProcExp, but I think the only real problem I have with it is that it uses the Executable Name in the task list and not the Process filename. This is a problem because if some programs are not written very well (no duh huh?) and their names appear as generic listings. I should be able to get a screenshot of this behaviour in a little bit.

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1016054

Yeah the Task Manager is improved, I am not denying that but it also has regressed in a number of ways if you read the article on my blog. The skill of improving something lies in improving it without causing regressions and a giant multi-million $ corporation with hundreds of employees dedicated to one component is not capable of improving something without breaking things and causing regressions? Not done. Simply not done. The Task Manager was not dormant after XP. It also improved in Windows Vista and Windows 7. They could have added new tabs in Windows 8 for Metro apps without destroying familiarity. Imagine if all the SysInternals tools are "re-imagined". Sure they would be "improved" but no one would want to lose features from Process Explorer right or even break their usual workflow?

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1016054

Yeah the Task Manager is improved, I am not denying that but it also has regressed in a number of ways if you read the article on my blog. The skill of improving something lies in improving it without causing regressions and a giant multi-million $ corporation with hundreds of employees dedicated to one component is not capable of improving something without breaking things and causing regressions? Not done. Simply not done. The Task Manager was not dormant after XP. It also improved in Windows Vista and Windows 7. They could have added new tabs in Windows 8 for Metro apps without destroying familiarity. Imagine if all the SysInternals tools are "re-imagined". Sure they would be "improved" but no one would want to lose features from Process Explorer right or even break their usual workflow?

Microsoft is always regressing something while trying to progress it. Just leave it alone! They're obviously not intelligent enough to know how to improve that thing. Improvement is not removing something good and replacing it with something else. Improvement is leaving something good and adding something else good.

Microsoft is always regressing something while trying to progress it. Just leave it alone! They're obviously not intelligent enough to know how to improve that thing. Improvement is not removing something good and replacing it with something else. Improvement is leaving something good and adding something else good.

For NO apparent reason :w00t: :

tire_swing_tall.jpg

:lol:

jaclaz