Microsoft is almost dead.

vipejc

OK that could very well be.

But in a seriousness would a 32 core\4gig system even really run? :blink::unsure:

I don't think that anyone needs so many cores at home :w00t:

But 4/8 cores are pretty common nowadays and there's really no reason not to use XP Home on such a system.

2+ posts directly in a row is also spamming...

There was NO need for that (Other than to build your post count)

If they made service packs feature packs they would go out of business quicker. You paid $99 - $199 for your XP home. and you have used it for a LOOOONG time. What else has MS gotten from you for the support they have given it? They would make little to no money that way...

Plus without MAJOR changes (Things that would denote a whole new OS essentially) there is no way the programming could keep up with hardware. Just look at the max ram and cores each OS could handle when they came out. Please by all means use your XP home on a new era multi core comp:

Maximum:

1 Physical CPU (Multi-Core + Hyper-threading supported)

4 GB of RAM

4 GB of Virtual Memory

4 GB FAT16 Partition

32 GB FAT32 Partition (Formatted during Setup)

2 TB FAT32 Partition

2 TB NTFS Partition (Basic Volume)

2 GB FAT16 File Size

4 GB FAT32 File Size

2 TB NTFS File Size (Basic Volume)

* > 137 GB Hard Disks require SP1 or higher (48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS Required)

XP home cannot properly use more than 2 cores and cannot address even the full 4gigs ram...

See nearly any HONEST Windows 8 thread and article to figure out how the new heads of MS are full of themselves.

The vast majority of people that have tried Win8 or even looked into it have expressed major concerns about allot of problems.

The heads of MS in their infinite wisdom and since they clearly know what we want and need have decided all of this sh*t...

I.e. the major couple:

Smart screen filter (Not easy to disable) sends user statistics to MS (Read spy ware) as to what you download and install.

NO DVD\BRD optical drive support without spending extra dough.

Extremely difficult to use without touch screens out of the box.

Here is a huge list of MS (We know better so you don't need this) UN-features in Win8:

I couldn't care less about my post count. This isn't some geek popularity contest. But sorry, I pledge to post once a day? You obviously haven't read my earlier posts in this thread, because the whole point of this thread was to express how to build a Microsoft the whole world enjoys, not put them out of business. THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU ABOUT MICROSOFT AND WINDOWS 8. Again, you're not listening. I NEVER want new hardware, I know all my future hardware limitations, and I am 100% happy with my AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton single core CPU. So happy, I have a backup in the closet. I'll say it once more. The world is happy with XP. I know all about 32-bit OS limitations and none of it hinders me. A 64-bit OS is just a gimmick.

Edited by vipejc

OK that could very well be.

But in a seriousness would a 32 core\4gig system even really run? :blink::unsure:

I don't think that anyone needs so many cores at home :w00t:

But 4/8 cores are pretty common nowadays and there's really no reason not to use XP Home on such a system.

LOL Kelse, you're funny. You don't even know your facts, but you're making technical references.

The truth is XP Home supports 1 CPU with as many cores as the motherboard supports, and XP Pro supports up to 2 CPUs with as many cores as the motherboard supports.

Tomas, I use XP Home with a single core CPU. A home user never needs more than 2 cores. It's all a gimmick. All multi-core means is the cores work together to get work done a little faster, but since most people use one, maybe two, apps at a time, it's never a problem. :lol:

Edited by vipejc

I agree with you on XP. Probably the best MS OS. It would be nice if we could keep XP alive even after 2014. I tried, for example to install XP on my AMD laptop... and I got bluescreen after bluescreen. Cant find any compatible AMD Mobility drivers.

You said: "XP will live forever, at least in this house. Can't reveal secrets, but I've gone to great pains to guarantee that".

My I ask you how? What about drivers and software that drop support for XP? How are you going to install XP on a new computer, lets say year 2017?

Why not hoard and keep multiple spares of (cheaper as time passes) compatible hardware parts?

I've been doing that for years and my collection is almost complete. Just got a sweet 32 GB USB flash drive for just $30 bucks. It's the best you can get for USB 2.0, which is all I ever plan to use. ;^)

Man, you're so full of yourself (and full of other stuff as well).

Edit: this is no longer relevant after vipejc edited his post... :rolleyes:

It had a something in the lines of "I know everything about the soft- and hardware that I own. You can't be as awesome as me,..."

Edited by Felipe

Hey, guys. I don't get much time to post here, but when I do, I like to make an impact.

I am failing to see the impact :w00t:

I mean, once removed the whining :ph34r: and the "non-news", the cited declaration of intents is all that remains, with just three words:

MS sucks big!

you could have conveyed the same message, and no, it is not an entirely new one

jaclaz

Hey, guys. I don't get much time to post here, but when I do, I like to make an impact.

I am failing to see the impact :w00t:

I mean, once removed the whining :ph34r: and the "non-news", the cited declaration of intents is all that remains, with just three words:

MS sucks big!

you could have conveyed the same message, and no, it is not an entirely new one

jaclaz

Uh, not only did I say MS sucks, but I gave very specific examples as to why they suck. Ever since Gates left and starting in 2005, Microsoft can do no right. XP isn't even that great of an OS. It's Microsoft's best effort, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. You know it's bad when a 12-year-old OS is still your crowning achievement. :lol:

I purchased an Xbox 360 in 2005 and may have played it five times. Games would freeze every 30 minutes. I performed one Dashboard update - followed all directions to the letter - and then the DVD drive started jamming for no good reason, and of course there was no rollback feature. I got so frustrated, I disconnected my Xbox 360 and put it back in the retail box. It had been sitting on the floor for 7 years. Earlier this year, I decided to set it back up, only to be reminded of how terrible the thing is. Then after many hours of arguing, Microsoft issued me a no-charge (which cost me $20 for packing tape and supplies) repair. The new console works fine so far, but if Microsoft made the thing right from the start, they would've saved billions of dollars and many customers. Oh, and Microsoft stopped sending free shipping supplies a few years ago, so you need to supply your own. And since you probably don't just have packing tape and packing peanuts lying around, expect to pay $20 + $90 to $110 for the repair. Microsoft is NOT a company you want to do business with.

Edited by vipejc

Man, you're so full of yourself (and full of other stuff as well).

Edit: this is no longer relevant after vipejc edited his post... :rolleyes:

It had a something in the lines of "I know everything about the soft- and hardware that I own. You can't be as awesome as me,..."

I edited my post because I don't want anybody else to think I'm big headed. I'm just being honest. The things I do with my computer do require a master level of software and hardware. I said that so people don't waste their time and thousands of dollars, only to face a wall they can't climb and be forced to buy Windows whatever. Sometimes sounding big headed is unavoidable, and I apologize to those it does.

The things I do with my computer do require a master level of software and hardware. I said that so people don't waste their time and thousands of dollars, only to face a wall they can't climb and be forced to buy Windows whatever.

You've certainly aroused curiosity in what sorts of things it is you've done that might enable you to keep using XP far into the future, even if the level of expertise required is very high.

--JorgeA