Changing device latancy and IRQ used?

I would like to ask if anyone know, from where originate the latency setting, that after installing Windows use/set for certain devices. For example a latency setting for PCI NIC card.

If I know where they originate, I can hope I can change them to something reasonable w/o using another program ;) (and I just like to know what is this about...)

KT266_latency_settings.png

Also I'm dying to know, from where the Windows/mainboard get the idea to use IRQ 7 for all the intensive tasks like GFX, SFX and NIC:

KT266_IRQ_settings.png

WTF?!

And how I can change / edit that. I keep the "Allocate IRQ for USB" enabled in BIOS, but also USB are on IRQ 7...

And I did not see used IRQ numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 and 11.

I know that IRQ 2 are for some "cascade interrupt for IRQ 8-15" (whatever that menas) and IRQ 3 and 4 are mostly for COM 2 and COM 1 respectively, but I did not use either, so I can find a better usage for these IRQs.

But most importantly, the IRQ 5 is typically used by soundcard and I would like it to be used JUST for that! So, how?!

IRQ 7 is typically for parallel port, but when disabled it seems that all the hardware end up there... :(

Yet it still leave the IRQ 10 and 11 free to be used by GFX card and NIC card respectively, witch will leave on IRQ 7 the USB controller.

( http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/IRQnumbers.asp )

Now all that sounds good, but how I can re-arrange these IRQs?

(Windows 2000 SP4, JetWay V266B, AXP 150x12.5, 1024MB 2-2-2-5 ram, Realtek RTL8183(A) PCI NIC card, AGP GF2MX400 graphic card)

Per the NIC Latency - in the registry (AFAIKR)? Google

network latency

for lots of info on that. If you want to Optimize your Network settings, you can try this nifty tool (my personal favorite).

As for the IRQ's you might be able to manually change the settings in Device Manager.

Edited by submix8c

• 5 months later...

I tried changing the settings "Assign IRQ for VGA" and "Assign IRQ for USB" from Yes to No, but no difference. Not even another install of Windows behave any way differently. The idea that I should tweak the PnP OS settings not crossed my mind yet, I have to try it... But I get just another old mainboard that run better and did not share the IRQ in such massive fail way :)

I remember needing to set pnp os to "no" and to manually assign irq to pci slot when the setting was available on some motherboard bios to support Win ME. With some board, i also had to move some pci card from slots because some of them were automatically shared.

Edited by allen2