Microsoft downloads validation failure

vipejc

Same trouble with Windows 7.

We can use this workaround explained here:

http://social.micros...21-cf262d5c821a

Microsoft forgot to change the URL to point to the new validation software. When you arrive at the old validation page after you press "Continue" on the Validation Required page, just go to the URL and change "exe-validation" to "genuine-validation" and press return.Example:

Old Link - http://www.microsoft...en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx?id=30491

New Link - http://www.microsoft...en-us/download/genuine-validation.aspx?id=30491

Note: The ID will be different depending on what update you are downloading.

Please let me know if this works for everyone.

Steve

Change inside the URL "exe-validation" with "genuine-validation". Works fine for me.

HTH

Edited by myselfidem

Microsoft changed the URL using Genuine validation and now we can dowload files!

Enjoy!

Confirmed. The GenuineCheck.exe when ran on your local computer is working again. ( This program returns a code that you can paste into a Microsoft download page when necessary).

Congratulations to whoever bent the ear of someone at Microsoft.

• 4 weeks later...

Microsoft changed the URL using Genuine validation and now we can dowload files!

Enjoy!

Confirmed. The GenuineCheck.exe when ran on your local computer is working again. ( This program returns a code that you can paste into a Microsoft download page when necessary).

Congratulations to whoever bent the ear of someone at Microsoft.

I can't swear to it, but I'm confident it was me and one of my Microsoft contacts. You're welcome.

• 1 year later...

It's broken again! :(

This time, however, instead of saying:

This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure your system clock is accurate.

... it's giving a different message, one that has not been seen since 2008, AFAIK:

Occasionally, I want to download things from Microsoft that require a WGA genuine check. I don't want to have to install the plugin for the browser, so I just download the "alternative method", then run genuinecheck.exe, and give it the code that it spits out. In the past this has always worked.

Now I installed Windows today after I managed to totally mess some stuff up, and now, I'm trying to download things requiring WGA validation. I keep getting the following error: It's not that it thinks my windows isn't genuine; it's that it can't figure it out one way or the other!

---------------------------Windows Genuine Advantage---------------------------Code not available. The validation code could not be obtained. This may be dueto technical difficulties, or you may be running an unsupported operating system. Please close this window and attempt the validation process again, or use the Back button in your Web browser to return to the download details page. [Error code: 0x8004026f]---------------------------OK---------------------------
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? A google search on the error code has turned up nothing useful. Help! ohmy.gif

BTW, for what it's worth, "Error code: 0x8004026f" means INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

**** Much later edit: ****

Just for the record, what truly happened is that MS has quietly shut the Windows Genuine Advantage program down for good early this year (just as they had already shut down silently the Office Genuine Advantage program way back in December 19, 2010). So, while GenuineCheck does not generate codes anymore, they aren't required by MS for any download anymore either, as -X- had found out and reported in the post following this one.

Looks like they took the Genuine Check requirement off. I cant find a download that forces the check anymore.

It's probably only temporary while they fix it.

Yup! "Media Player 11" (e.g.) no longer (ATM) requires Genuine Check. :crazy: Although (an afterthought) one might wonder if a "hacked" (not genuine) XP would allow its execution (since a validation cjeck still runs). Maybe this is Phase One of the "activation issue"? :unsure: After all, it -appears- that the market share is way up there -and- many businesses just -can't- upgrade ($$ ref this - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?p=1079062 ).

No.  I've got it with two different machines in which I didn't yet add the POSReady, etc. trick to the XP registry. Moreover, one of them is a double-boot with 7 x64, and GenuineCheck.exe balks there, too. I didn't actually try to run GenuineCheck.exe from a 7 x86 machine, because I happen to have none on hand, right now. But that sure would be an interesting experiment to try, right now.