Microsoft downloads validation failure

vipejc

Hey, guys. So hundreds of M$ users are having this problem and still no solution. The problem is if you want to download any file from the Microsoft Download Center that requires validation, you are asked to verify your Windows is genuine, which it is. There's two methods to validate a download. Too bad both are broken!

1. Download a small executable called GenuineCheck.exe. Only problem is when you click it, you receive this message: This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure your system clock is accurate.

So you're thinking, okay, no biggie. I'll just update it. But there's no newer version. Okay, so I'll try installing the super lame Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. It should work, right? Wrong. You still get the same error message: This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure your system clock is accurate. And my system clock is accurate.

What's funny is after installing the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications tool and deleting the older ActiveX control yesterday, I was able to magically download three files that required validation. But then today I ran into the same broken validation process.

2. Use a 32-bit version of Internet Explorer and ensure it's the default browser. Well, that didn't work, because I never get prompted as usual to install the IE-only ActiveX control that doesn't require the broken validation process. And ActiveX controls aren't being blocked.

Will definitely be passing this on to one of my Microsoft contacts...

Edited by vipejc

it's possible to download the files using a little "trick". You need to use the "confirmation links", ex.

Original: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30617 (requires validation)

Confirmation: http://www.microsoft...n.aspx?id=30617 (no validation required)

Hey, X. I already knew about that dirty little secret. I want to know if I can fix it, and if so, how? I don't like the thought of knowing something on my PC is broken. Or, is it one of those things that every Windows user is suffering and we just have to play the Microsoft waiting game for a fix?

It used to work for me in IE but I just tried and it made me download GenuineCheck.exe and of course that is broken. So I guess MS broke IE's validation method too. I don't think there is anything you can do on your end.

It used to work for me in IE but I just tried and it made me download GenuineCheck.exe and of course that is broken. So I guess MS broke IE's validation method too. I don't think there is anything you can do on your end.

Except use the secret. And don't blab that. I don't want a Microsoft employee to find it and crack down with a patch, as that's the only way to work around the issue. ;^) Thank god for this place and people like us. Without it, I would've stuck to outdoor activities.

OK lemme see. You paid $150-ish dollars for your xp home when it came out.

The after 11 years of support and server costs you EXPECT MS to keep it up?

You have had $14 a year worth of XP goodness. Get over it...

Yup. Support? What support? I had to do all my own support. Igladash in India was of no help. He read from a script and lied when he couldn't find the answer. I have the entire Microsoft XP downloads server backed up, so they can delete until they're blue in the face. I will die at my computer and the coroner will find me hunched over an XP screensaver in 2050. LOL

Yes but this particular case is kind of ridiculous. They keep releasing new updates for XP/2003 which require validation but you can't download them normally without using workarounds -_-

Yes but this particular case is kind of ridiculous. They keep releasing new updates for XP/2003 which require validation but you can't download them normally without using workarounds -_-

I let one of my MS contacts know about the issue. Hopefully, it'll be addressed soon. It's Microsoft. Give them six months. LOL

I fully agree there and the plan MS HAD was to release a patch that woule remove the whole activation\genuine schema when they stopped selling XP.

(They never expected to keep activation servers going forever)

It is more of their planned obsolesence schema now. (We will suppport it, but you can't get the downloads mwhahahahhahahaha)

I fully agree there and the plan MS HAD was to release a patch that woule remove the whole activation\genuine schema when they stopped selling XP.

(They never expected to keep activation servers going forever)

It is more of their planned obsolesence schema now. (We will suppport it, but you can't get the downloads mwhahahahhahahaha)

Oh, a few of us can get it, alright. I just got it yesterday. I'm still laughing at how easy it is.

The problem is with the link, as it would obviously appear. I can forward this on to my contacts within Microsoft so there's visibility in this (if there isn't already). The WGA ActiveX links no longer point to the correct locations, thus making this break. Hopefully it'll get run up the food chain(s) quickly and the proper links will get fixed.