Does Anyone Else Still Prefer Vista?

Vince4Amy

Hi All,

There doesn't seem to be that many people who still use Vista out of choice and coming across a Vista machine in the wild so to speak is becoming more unusual all the time. I've repeatedly tried Windows 7 (and have deployed it to sever hundread machines at work) however at home I much prefer to run Vista and have done since it was released. I've even give Windows 8 RTM a fair trial since it was released in August and I got annoyed with that after a while and just went back to Vista.

So I'm just wondering if there are any other forum members who use Vista out of choice still?

Well I have read this thread: http://www.msfn.org/...than-windows-7/ and do agree with many points made but all of the regressions Windows 7 took compared to Vista can be fixed I think. What is it that you like about Vista that Windows 7 doesn't have? Or do you not like about Windows 7 that can't be made Vista-like? :)

Edited by xpclient

I personally consider win "7" to be tweaked vista with better file manager (UI wise) and taskbar

nothing more

but since it is newer, and more polished (yes I think vista was rushed), I chosen to use win "7"

Edited by vinifera

So I'm just wondering if there are any other forum members who use Vista out of choice still?

Count me as one of them! There are several others I know of who prefer Vista, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

My preference for Vista is mostly from an esthetic angle. A lot of people don't care much about "eye candy," but I think it has the most elegant interface of any Windows release. My work involves looking at a PC screen all day long (and sometimes far into the night), and for me a visually appealing UI helps to make the day more pleasant.

Windows 7 ranks second on my list. It works much the same as Vista, but the visual effects are toned down so I view 7 as a "plain Jane" version of Vista. Oh, and on my one Windows 7 system, I've slimmed down the Taskbar to the sleek Vista default width.

Glad to meet another Vista fan! :thumbup

--JorgeA

My preference for Vista is mostly from an esthetic angle. A lot of people don't care much about "eye candy," but I think it has the most elegant interface of any Windows release. My work involves looking at a PC screen all day long (and sometimes far into the night), and for me a visually appealing UI helps to make the day more pleasant.

Completely agree, though I am trying to get into Windows 8 and I probably will give it another go, there's always VMWare for the Vista fix :)

But yeah not only that I just prefer Vista overall, it's just little things to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

I also prefer Vista over 7. Did not tried 8 yet but I think the interface change is just too much for me. Have a Vista install on a 2006 computer that still runs fine today and does the job for me.

But yeah not only that I just prefer Vista overall, it's just little things to be honest.

Like...

Customizable Control Panel,

Classic Start menu (if desired),

Overlay icons for shared items,

The ability to turn off Auto-Arrange and Align to Grid in Windows Explorer,

No "Never combine" taskbar stupidity,

Real Parental Controls,

Much better Windows Defender (with Software Explorer),

Windows Media Player toolbar,

Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Mail,

???

And it is simply gorgeous. :ph34r:

Edited by UltimateSilence

• 2 months later...

I've just read that the latest version of disk keeper supports trim on ssds on Vista which is fantastic. All the more reason to continue using Vista really :).

Edited by Vince4Amy

• 3 weeks later...

In a year from now (when extended phase support dies out for my Windows XP x64 Edition), I plan to install Windows Vista x64 Utimate Edition. I have ran a test install for a couple of weeks. I find that, except for the boot logo and Weclome Screen taking twice a long to load, I have managed to tweak Vista x64 to the point that it's besically as fast as XP in Basic Mode, once the desktop appears. In fact it runs REALLY well!

I am using an HP xw8200 Workstation with 7 GB of RAM, and two Xeon CPUs at 3.66 GHz.

• 2 months later...

I also prefer Windows Vista as long as it's at least SP1 level (SP2 highly recommended).

the original/RTM release of Vista was pretty buggy when my mom got a Dell Inspiron laptop with pre-installed Vista home basic edition in June 2007.

some of the serious problems of Vista were fixed in SP1 and then in SP2.

folks, avoid using Vista at RTM level. update to Vista SP1 or Vista SP2.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 months later...

Vista seems to work okay, my only problem is that with newer programs, ( meaning cheaply built crap, that nobody took the time to learn C, and use a proper compiler ) it just seems that getting a problem is faster, with any new OS like Vista. That being said, Vista is a great OS to catch up on, things I missed from 2005. Otherwise I do not really care about the newer OS. The only reason why I need a new OS is to run a job related program, I am forced to use.

I'm a Vista guy. As long as you have SP1/SP2 installed, it should be no problem.Windows Vista boots faster than XP or 7 on this PC, it's very peppy, and it looks beautiful. I prefer Vista over Windows 7 and especially Windows XP.

My system is an Ivy-Bridge Pentium G2010 with 4GBs of DDR3, and a 500GB HDD.

With avast! antivirus and Comodo Firewall by your side, it's extremely secure, too.

• 3 months later...