Seagate 7200.11 firmware issue

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I have the same issue with my seagate 7200.11. The model number is ST3320813AS. It showed 0lba and I did the 0lba fix and put the hard drive in my computer and still nothing. I ran seatools and it actually showed my 320 gbyte hard drive and I tried to scan it but it showed bad sectors. Before I ran seatools it showed 0lba. So the fix worked partially. It also let me upgrade to the new firmware S2B. I have also tried the busy fix with no success. It says zone re-format was skipped. Is this my problem. Can anybody help me. You can PM me because I have read that you can go so far on this forum. If someone can give me a cmd to try.

P.S.

When I try plugging the drive from sata to usb the drive displays in my computer for a moment and then disappears.

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I have the same issue with my seagate 7200.11. The model number is ST3320813AS. It showed 0lba and I did the 0lba fix and put the hard drive in my computer and still nothing. I ran seatools and it actually showed my 320 gbyte hard drive and I tried to scan it but it showed bad sectors. Before I ran seatools it showed 0lba. So the fix worked partially. It also let me upgrade to the new firmware S2B. I have also tried the busy fix with no success. It says zone re-format was skipped. Is this my problem. Can anybody help me. You can PM me because I have read that you can go so far on this forum. If someone can give me a cmd to try.

P.S.

When I try plugging the drive from sata to usb the drive displays in my computer for a moment and then disappears.

If the Seagate Tools tell you that the disk has bad sectors, there are GREAT probabilities that it has bad sectors.

Upgrading the firmware on a disk drive that has not passed successfully the Seatools tests (BOTH "short" and "long" ones) has NOT been a "smart move", please read as "DO NOT DO IT".

If your drive suffers form LBA0, the LBA0 fix may work (as it has for you).

If your drive suffers from BSY, the BSY fix may work.

If your drive does NOT suffer from LBA0 or BSY, you can apply BOTH the fixes all the times you want, but the status of the drive won't change.

The issue with USB connection could be BOTH an issue in your Registry and a symptom of bad contacts between the PCB and the disk or of bad contacts on the SATA connector.

If your BIOS cannot see the disk (when connected normally to SATA), it could be a symptom of bad contacts between the PCB and the disk or of bad contacts on the SATA connector.

If your BIOS cannot see the disk BUT Seagate Tools can see it, the drive is an UNKNOWN state, for which no "fix" is available.

If your BIOS cannot see the disk AND Seagate Tools cannot see it, the drive (besides the above possibiliteis) is foobar (possibly because of the applied firmware).

jaclaz

Thanks for the reply. I read about upgrading the firmware could be a bad thing. I guess I was grasping for straws. At first the hd would not take the new firmware but after the 0 lba fix it took the new firmware. I tried the hd after the 0 lba fix and before the new firmware upgrade but it would not boot. That is when I figured I had nothing to lose and it accepted the new firmware from the boot disk. It did not help it of course. Thanks again. If anyone else has a fix let me know.

Edited by supra89

Thanks for the reply. I read about upgrading the firmware could be a bad thing. I guess I was grasping for straws. At first the hd would not take the new firmware but after the 0 lba fix it took the new firmware. I tried the hd after the 0 lba fix and before the new firmware upgrade but it would not boot. That is when I figured I had nothing to lose and it accepted the new firmware from the boot disk. It did not help it of course. Thanks again. If anyone else has a fix let me know.

We are still on different wave lengths. :(

You have described what you did (part of which was actually "wrong" or "unjustified/unneeded"), but you seemingly fail to diagnose and describe the current situation of that disk.

Sure, if you expect to boot from it as a sign it is working :w00t:, it is very improbable that it will do that, more often than not the disk is actually "revivied" but needs fixes to be able to read data on it or needs to be re-partitioned/formatted.

(again) quick reminder:

When connected to a SATA port, is it seen by BIOS?

If no <- check contacts, connectors, BSY "fix"

if yes, is it see but LBA0?

If yes <- LBA0 fix

If no <- check it with seatools

Does seatools see it? (BTW which version of the tools, the DOS or the Windows one, and if the latter undr which OS?)

If yes, run seatools BOTH short and long test (and post actual results).

If no, either the drive is definitely dead or you need to try again checking contacts, connectors, cables, etc.

If seatools sees it, does Disk Management see it as "Raw"?

If yes, the disk is "revived" though "RAW".

If no, try it on another PC, if it also cannot be seen on this latter either the drive is definitely dead or you need to try again checking contacts, connectors, cables, etc.

jaclaz

Ok. Here we go. I will try to explain it in a way you can help me. The drive hooked to usb it will search for files and folders and even so up as two partions in my computer. Before it finishes searching for files and folders it removes the two partions out of my computer and a little trouble symbol shows up at the bottom on the task bar. It says Delayed write failed some some files and folders could not be save try to save data somewhere else. Seatools will not find it threw usb. It will not show up in disk management with connected to usb. Ok that is all the info with it connected to usb. Moving on to putting the hd back into my tower after the 0 lba fix and before the new firmware. Seatools in the dos mode find my hd and and it try to scan it but short and long test failed. It got to like 3 percent and failed with bad sectors. That is when I flashed the new firmware and it took the firmware with success. Before I did the 0 lba fix I tried the firmware upgrade hoping to fix it but it said model matched but firmware did not match. I have tried the hd on another computer which runs windows vista but it will not show up at all on that computer. Thanks for your patience in trying to resolve my issue.

Edited by supra89

Yes, but his is still (almost) about the history of what happened.

What I want to understand is (I'll ask numbered questions, in order to hopefully receive correspondently numbered answers) what happens NOW (the past is gone ;)):

Do you have to recover data from that disk? (Yes/No)

1. Do you have to recover data from that disk? (Yes/No)
  2. Is the disk shown in BIOS of your PC (connected to a SATA port)? (Yes/No)
  3. Is the disk shown in BIOS of your "other" PC (connected to a SATA port)? (Yes/No)
  4. Is the disk shown in DISK MANAGEMENT (and NOT in EXPLORER or other file manager) on your PC (connected to a SATA port)? (Yes/No)
  5. Is the disk shown in DISK MANAGEMENT (and NOT in EXPLORER or other file manager) on your "other" PC (connected to a SATA port)? (Yes/No)

You see, if seatools sees it, also BIOS should AND also DISK MANAGEMENT would normally see it (but not necessarily EXPLORER or any other file manager), more technically, one thing is connection of the device, and another one is the mounting of the partitions/filesystems.

Connecting it (or any other possibly not fully working disk) through USB while having "auomatically access" to USB drives turned on (or whatever is the setting) is "pure folly".

You should disable that behaviour, it should be this one :unsure: :

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35622/disable-scan-and-fix-for-removable-drives-in-windows/

jaclaz

1.Yes

2.No way in testing

3.No way in testing

4.No way in testing

5.No way in testing

Disable the shell hardware detection. Seatools will not find HD. I have sata to usb only unless I put the drive back in the orginal PC. Do I need to purchase a sata cable to go from my HD to PC.

Update: I just realized I need a esata to sata cable. I will get one on order.

Edited by supra89

Ok. I took my dvd/cd drive out and used that sata port and power. Here is the results.

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.No way to test

4.Yes

5.No way to test

When I hook the HD up it freezes everything up. It takes away my pointer and it will not let me do anything until I unplug the HD. I can have disk management already pulled up and it will show up under disk management but it will not let me do anything with it.

Ok. I took my dvd/cd drive out and used that sata port and power. Here is the results.

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.No way to test

4.Yes

5.No way to test

When I hook the HD up it freezes everything up. It takes away my pointer and it will not let me do anything until I unplug the HD. I can have disk management already pulled up and it will show up under disk management but it will not let me do anything with it.

Good. :yes:

This means that you can put the TTL adapter and the screwdriver back in the toolbox, whatever it could be done with it has already been done (i.e. you are out oif the BSY situation).

Now try again, connecting the hard disk through the USB.

I see no reasons why it shouldn't be seen in Disk Management when USB connected. :unsure:

If it doesn't you will need to put aside (temporarily) that Windows 7 install on the machine and use a Linux "Live CD" (or better a "Live" Linux on a USB stick) to access the disk.

In any case, your next step is to procure yourself another disk, surely working, slightly larger than the failed one (i.e. if that disk is 500 Gb, you need a 640 Gb, if it s a 640, you need a 750 one, if it is a 750 you need a 1Tb, etc.).

The next step is to make an image (or various "partial images" because of the "bad sectors") of the whole disk.

jaclaz