W98SE and SSD (esp.in Multi-Boot)

ragnargd

@ragnargd

I presume this originally inspired you:

http://thpc.info/dualboot.html

EasyBCD (which BTW by now is not anymore free) uses (senselessly) .Net, but much worse than that, uses grub4dos, "renaming" it as "neogrub" (and pointing to the help/references of GRUB legacy). :w00t::ph34r:

There are several ways to make a triple boot 7/XP/9x system, the mentioned guide is suitable (though using unneededly and only in order to make it "easy" the EasyBCD tool) for a multi-partitioned single disk.

Since you are using several devices (it is not clear to me whether you are using 2 or 3 SSD's, one is for 9x and there are other 2 for 7 and xp or just another one for xp/7 "together" ) there are simpler/better ways (and several different options).

Only the triple booting alone would need a separate (longish) thread as well as having 9x running on a modern hardware (and with more than 1 Gb RAM) - as a matter of fact such of these long topics already exist.

Very loosely the situation is the following, you have:

1. an (oldish) OS that uses NOT a bootloader and NOT a bootmanager (9x)
  2. a OS (XP) that uses a bootloader that can double as (limited) bootmanager (NTLDR)
  3. a OS (7) that uses a bootloader that can double as (limited) bootmanager (BOOTMGR)
  4. optionally a (good) bootmanager that does not double as bootloader (grub4dos - or the "renamed" neogrub)
  5. optionally other sets of tools (MBR loaders, redirecting bootsectors and what not)

There are more possible combinations of them than you can possibly want to know, out of all the possible ones you made your choice ("right" or "wrong" doesn't really matter :)) which is OK :thumbup (as long as it works for you) the point beiing simply that other people may want/need (and can have) a different approach that is more "suited" for them.

jaclaz

@ragnargd

I presume this originally inspired you:

http://thpc.info/dualboot.html

Right you are. There goes another Sherlock Holmes... :hello:

If i could, I'd rather get away from EasyBCD, and, but that's just me, if possible, just by configuring the system without external software.

WIthin another month i'll build another Triple-Boot system, for multiplayer legacy-games. I hope i can ask you these questions again, and will open a new thread on this when i'm at that stage again. Meanwhile, i'm fighting with the virtualisation of my WHS in Hyper-V 2008, which has more prio atm, to be able to set up my own Ryzom Core server on an Ubuntu VM on thax box as well.

Thank you very much!

Ragnar G.D.

Right you are. There goes another Sherlock Holmes... :hello:

Guess why exactly your "title" is "Newbie" whilst mine is "The Finder" :whistle:;)

If i could, I'd rather get away from EasyBCD, and, but that's just me, if possible, just by configuring the system without external software.

WIthin another month i'll build another Triple-Boot system, for multiplayer legacy-games. I hope i can ask you these questions again, and will open a new thread on this when i'm at that stage again.

Sure we can talk of it :).

jaclaz

Kingspec IDE SSDs are garbage, mainly because there is NO wear levelling and you will wear out the drive quite quick (a year or two) to the point of uselessness.

Good to know, i'd like to add your experience to my list. Do you have a source for this information? Own experience?

SATA to IDE adapter and a SATA SSD is the best combination, those IDE SSDs have such stuff in them already anyway (at least Kingspecs do).

Out of experience, i'd rather not. During the beginning of SATA, i used SATA <-> IDE adapters, and i have some laying around here. I used these, to get rid of one or another controller, to improve boot times. Unfortunately, even with simple devices as (empty!) DVD-Roms, i had lockups, which only disappeared, when i reconnected the devices to their original controller. I can't put my finger on reasons, though, it may just be bad luck.

Edited by ragnargd

I have the info from my own experience and by looking into the components datasheets (which may be rather hard to find).

There are a lot of SATA bridge chips, some work better than others. Marvell makes some good chips, new WD PATA drives use thsoe for example.

Out of experience, i'd rather not. During the beginning of SATA, i used SATA <-> IDE adapters, and i have some laying around here. I used these, to get rid of one or another controller, to improve boot times. Unfortunately, even with simple devices as (empty!) DVD-Roms, i had lockups, which only disappeared, when i reconnected the devices to their original controller. I can't put my finger on reasons, though, it may just be bad luck.

Because there are many different adapters and the most popular (=cheap) ones are usually a piece of junk.

Check this topic: