Updating Win98 STANDARD Edition

JorgeA

In June or July 2011, Microsoft took down the Windows Update site where we could retrieve updates for Windows 98.

If a person had a fresh installation of Windows 98 Standard ("first") Edition, and wanted to install on it all (and only) the official Microsoft updates through July 2006 -- where could they go to do that? Is it even possible anymore?

I looked around on MDGx's website, but nothing clearly jumped out at me as being what I'm looking for. I did see the Windows Update link, but AFAIK that stopped working last year.

Two questions:

1. Maybe someone has since put together an alternative repository for these updates?
  2. Is there a way to extract these updates from a working Win98FE installation, for use in a new Win98FE installation?

--JorgeA

There is an unofficial 98FE service pack by Erpdude that should cater for all the hotfixes and a bit more, add to that IE6 SP1, DirectX 9c, WMP9 and MDAC 2.8 and you should be more or less set IMO.

In June or July 2011, Microsoft took down the Windows Update site where we could retrieve updates for Windows 98.

If a person had a fresh installation of Windows 98 Standard ("first") Edition, and wanted to install on it all (and only) the official Microsoft updates through July 2006 -- where could they go to do that? Is it even possible anymore?

I looked around on MDGx's website, but nothing clearly jumped out at me as being what I'm looking for. I did see the Windows Update link, but AFAIK that stopped working last year.

Two questions:

1. Maybe someone has since put together an alternative repository for these updates?
  2. Is there a way to extract these updates from a working Win98FE installation, for use in a new Win98FE installation?

--JorgeA

MDGx site should have most if not all the updates for Win98 FE. As for a Windows 98 FE Microsoft only updates, if no one hasn't done it in all these years, its probably not going to happen. Even Gape's SP 2.1a was great but didn't include Direct X, Dotnet Framework and Internet Explorer. With those three packages alone, you are looking well over a 100mb.

MDGx site should have most if not all the updates for Win98 FE. As for a Windows 98 FE Microsoft only updates, if no one hasn't done it in all these years, its probably not going to happen. Even Gape's SP 2.1a was great but didn't include Direct X, Dotnet Framework and Internet Explorer. With those three packages alone, you are looking well over a 100mb.

MDGx's site appears to offer direct downloads only for unofficial updates and upgrades, is that impression right?

In the meantime, I came across this site. I wonder if this could be the sort of thing I'm looking for. Assuming they're legit, I might even be willing to make a donation for the service as it would represent a time savings over wading through MDGx's site.

--JorgeA

MDGx's site appears to offer direct downloads only for unofficial updates and upgrades, is that impression right?

His site offers both. You need to search a little bit more.

Thanks PROBLEMCHYLD, I *think* I've got a handle on the issue now.

The problem for me is that the material isn't organized the way I think. If it were me, I'd have made a clear separation on that page between official and unofficial updates, each set in its own distinct cubbyhole. And then it doesn't help that the top line of the Win98 section exhorts you to:

See "WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION (SE) ESSENTIAL FREE UPGRADES + FIXES" further above for more Windows 98/98 SP1 CRITICAL UPDATES! READ Microsoft guidelines for each UPDATE, and install ONLY the ones that APPLY to Windows 98/98 SP1!

...so that you end up jumping around if you want to gather everything together.

--JorgeA

Yes, MGDx's site is a huge, glorious, overwhelming, complicated, confusing, mess of a treasure trove. (No offense meant. :) ) If you need it, it is likely there. But finding it and ensuring that there is either not something else you need as well, or which of some of the various choices is the best one to use, has always driven me crazy.

Cheers and Regards