windows 8 , steampowered and emulators with virus

i am a bit happy that with windows 8 , steampowered will get classified as a "bad office" ;']

i own some games but i nearly always play using some emulators , when i use steam.exe , it is for updating or introducing a key that came with a dvdrom with a cheaper price than this thingy that never gives any dvdrom .

i recently discovered that some are using steam emulators to hack computers : http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30678&start=3795

i wonder if new objectives for M$ or else , could not be to make a windows emulator and update games with a sort of windows update or itself ?

Edited by sixcentgeorge

I don't really see how there is a "hack" involved here, other than changing the hosts file. Game distribution and control still has its flaws. Sooner or later I would expect MS to make something like Steam, maybe tied in with the App Store.

steam.exe is spying users : it is like that for achievements

for the host file [ that is very hard to edit by user ] , i posted it because the steam emulator reports to a unknow host some infos..

like the ip , etc .. for sure it can do others things like files transfers or else , i have not the tools to check that ;'[

Well of couse Steam spies on you... its not really any secret. I disagree that hosts is hard to edit by the user.

As for checking your connections, you can use the netstat -b command to show you connections to IPs and what process is using them. Its best to do this when you have no browser or IM program open.

when i do changes and try to save , the box shows:

orWP2.jpg

so i do like it says and move file in system32/drivers/etc folder with a new explorer with admin rights , by the way M$ should writes some ip to prevent botnets like this one using steam emu

thanks for advices , i do the save and notepad acts as it wants and add it....

i also seen that M$ antivirus reads the file and can not bear to read 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

it removes the line without warnings...

i found the option to keep "the freedom to edit the file" in the quarantine...

• 3 weeks later...

There is no "solution for gamers" anywhere in this thread. Steam is a perfectly safe application. Spreading this kind of paranoia only stems to worry uses about something that's safe.

If you don't like Microsoft products (since you're so very high on M$ abbreviations, and so forth) why bother using their products at all? There are options out there. Mac and Linux for example.

• 4 weeks later...

I personaly found how MS doing things with win8 is 'distasteful',

probably because i'm a techie user.

Example:

i also seen that M$ antivirus reads the file and can not bear to read 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

TL;DR: http://www.howtogeek.com/122404/how-to-block-websites-in-windows-8s-hosts-file/

seriously, MS should at least include a help file in win8 installation explaining this, but they don't.