Slow internet speed with Site-to-Site VPN

todarsey

I have 2 RV042 routers, one is version 1 and the other is Version 3 and both have up to date firmware loaded. Both ISPs are cable, one is Comcast and the other is Mediacom. I have set both MTUs to various different settings and set the upload download speeds in Bandwidth Management. Speedtest.net shows speeds at office # 1 of 30/5 and office # 2 is 10/2. The VPN connection is always active. My problem seems to be this, if data is ever being transferred between the offices the internet speed for office #2 slows down to 1.5/.12 but there isn't really any notable differences at office #1. Does anyone have any idea of what could cause the drop in speed.

This is pretty normal as vpn crypt all traffic between both offices and crypted datas are lot bigger than unencrypted data.

Depending on the volume of data going between offices, you might perhaps find some way to reduce the volume of data transfered between the offices.

Because the link for office1 is bigger 30/5 and when browsing, you're using almost only download speed.

Here is an example: if the vpn take 2/2 of the bandwidth, it will use 2/2 on both link and then on the link of office1, there will still be 28/3 but on link of office 2, that should only leave 8/0. As you might know tcp is a protocol that send and receive acknowledgment when sending or receiving data. So you need to have upload bandwidth to be able to use properly all your download one and if the link is saturated by the vpn the acknowledgment packets sent by computers of office2 doesn't reach the web servers they are browsing (as there were 0 upload bandwidth left).

To resolve this kind of problem, you need to use traffic shapping and QOS if you didn't manage to reduce the volume of data sent and received between offices.

Ok, so can anyone tell me which ports I need to throttle the VPN connection back on a Cisco RV042 router. I have attached what I have tried so far, but those don't seem to be working. Unless I set it to All Traffic, then it will slow it down.

post-161593-0-47732500-1350046714_thumb.