The anti-virus you recommend installed for windows 8?

intranet

for how long Anti-Virus product would not report an App using "Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows 8" as an ADWare?

By definition, window-8' app that using that 'SDK' must be labeled as ADWare, for it behave not much different than exisiting adware.

Eset Smart Security has never betrayed me, instantly catches viruses, blocks harmful pages, and it's easy on resources. No blue screens. One drawback it's commercial soft.

Of the freeware I use in my virtual machines is Comodo Internet Security, it's good but takes time to play with its settings to lower user interaction to a minimum. No blue screens either. One drawback is it doesn't update AV defs as often as for example Eset does.

When Windows Updates stopped working on the Win8 Developer Preview and I could no longer update Defender, I installed Avast! free edition. Works great, no problems.

For my work PCs, though, I use Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security. However, I'm sticking with the pre-2012 versions of the software. I made the mistake of "upgrading" Norton 360 on my (Vista) laptop to version 6, and it's been Metrofied into big ugly squares with a kindergarten look. :angry: Also, the malware scan functions have been split from the PC maintenance functions, which means that now I can't just tell it to do everything in one session and leave it overnight.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

• 3 weeks later...

Try Eset which supposed to be very lite on system resources and will never slow your system, above all it is one of the maximum awards winner in system security solutions. I have personaly used Eset since last 5 years and it has performed satisfactorily.

it is extremely slow

sorry, but that's bul*****!

1 CPU core is hogging the CPU alls the time and it uses 180MB RAM all the time:
scrolling through the Explorer is nearly impossible, because of Defender.

This issue would be with any antivirus-software, porbably much more by using other scanners.

Please take a look at av-Comparitives there is al listing of the most antivirus-tools and a performance test...read this and talk on...

Defender has one of the best performance of all testes antivirus-tools, but detection-rate is really bad.

Edited by geneticplasma

Defender has one of the best performance of all testes antivirus-tools,

but detection-rate is really bad.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

can i read that as: "Defender perform well that it allow many virus(ii/es ,whatever float your boat) to slips into your system" ?

Edited by Joseph_sw

Isn't that an oxymoron?

No it isn't.

can i read that as: "Defender perform well that it allow many virus(ii/es ,whatever float your boat) to slips into your system" ?

Also no!

For most of all Defender affords enough security.

But if you often click on files like "big_tits.exe" or on Warez-Sites "Crack_all.exe" it could be useful to use another antivirus-tool.

Edited by geneticplasma