Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

StartIsBackCfg.exe doesn't play nicely with DEP unfortunately, it crashes.

If you have DEP selected for "all programs and services" (not the default), then you might have to exclude StartIsBackCfg.exe from it. I believe this was mentioned early in the development, but as users have to manually change from the default DEP setting to this, it would probably be considered "normal" behavior to have to exclude it from DEP if DEP isn't set to the default "for essential Windows programs and services only".

If you have DEP selected for "all programs and services" (not the default), then you might have to exclude StartIsBackCfg.exe from it. I believe this was mentioned early in the development, but as users have to manually change from the default DEP setting to this, it would probably be considered "normal" behavior to have to exclude it from DEP if DEP isn't set to the default "for essential Windows programs and services only".

Yup, that issue was fixed looooong ago. Default behavior works now.

It just strikes me as odd for any program developed in this day-and-age to crash when subject to DEP. I mean, as you say, I can exclude it, but it's a really bad coding habit to slide into. Check DEP. Check ASLR. This stuff should be enabled on everything you do as of at least five years ago.

It just strikes me as odd for any program developed in this day-and-age to crash when subject to DEP. I mean, as you say, I can exclude it, but it's a really bad coding habit to slide into. Check DEP. Check ASLR. This stuff should be enabled on everything you do as of at least five years ago.

Except I just said default behavior works now. DEP defaults to "all programs and services" on Windows Server. StartIsBackCfg.exe works fine.

As for workstations...I just turned DEP on for all programs and again, it worked fine.

If you need further help with this issue then you'll have to be a little more specific then "it crashes". What version of Windows are you using? What settings have you changed?

In the meantime I'll reload this workstation from scratch and see what happens.

Except I just said default behavior works now. DEP defaults to "all programs and services" on Windows Server. StartIsBackCfg.exe works fine.

As for workstations...I just turned DEP on for all programs and again, it worked fine.

If you need further help with this issue then you'll have to be a little more specific then "it crashes". What version of Windows are you using? What settings have you changed?

In the meantime I'll reload this workstation from scratch and see what happens.

Windows 8 Pro x64 - no problem. DEP on and it works fine.

Windows 8 Pro x86 - With DEP on, after the install of SiB and I logon I get nothing but a black screen.

Whoops, sorry that was bad of me:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

System-wide Always-on DEP enabled through EMET 3.5.

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 15/01/2013 23:40:36

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: FurryGopher

Description:

Faulting application name: StartIsBackCfg.exe, version: 1.3.2.0, time stamp: 0x50ef3ed3

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc00001a5

Fault offset: 0x022dfdec

Faulting process ID: 0x1164

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf379b667fbff

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Quitch\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS8B460053\StartIsBackCfg.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report ID: f540b7d8-5f6c-11e2-be82-001fd08a0b28

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 15/01/2013 23:40:39

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: FurryGopher

Description:

Faulting application name: StartIsBackCfg.exe, version: 1.3.2.0, time stamp: 0x50ef3ed3

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x022dfdde

Faulting process ID: 0x1164

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf379b667fbff

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Quitch\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS8B460053\StartIsBackCfg.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report ID: f7853490-5f6c-11e2-be82-001fd08a0b28

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

It was my understanding that EMET 3.5 was using the OS implementation of DEP. Perhaps this is incorrect.

Windows 8 Pro x64 - no problem. DEP on and it works fine.

Windows 8 Pro x86 - With DEP on, after the install of SiB and I logon I get nothing but a black screen.

I had just did multiple tests but didn't have time to report yet; in VMWare Workstation under Windows 8 Pro x86, every time I turned DEP to "all programs and services", and rebooted (I already had SiB installed), I got a black screen after automatic logon set in VMWare's settings. I'm sure it'd be the same without automatic logon, as well, but haven't tested it yet.

Have you confirmed that before SiB is installed on x86 with DEP fully on that it doesn't give a black screen already?

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Have you confirmed that before SiB is installed on x86 with DEP fully on that it doesn't give a black screen already?

Correct, DEP itself does not cause a black screen. DEP is fully functional in Win8. It only happens after SiB is installed.

StartIsBack installer doesn't even run on x86 Windows 8 for me if DEP is enabled (bcdedit /set {current} nx alwayson from elevated command prompt, then reboot before running SiB setup) - 7-zip SFX unpacks, then nothing happens.

And if I install SiB with nx disabled, then flip it to optout or alwayson, I too get empty screen (and if I start Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc, I can see that Explorer isn't running, and exits quickly if I do try to run it). Event viewer shows exception 0xc0000005 for explorer.exe.

Thanks for the updates. Unfortunately my only issue (white icons) with SIB still remains, here's a prime example: (doesn't always present itself like this of course)

sibh.jpg

Edited by Amigafever

Thanks for this! It's the best Start Menu replacement/enabler on Win8 I've tried. Any plans to add the start button to all taskbars in a multi-monitor setup? I've got three monitors, but it only shows up on the primary display. Which is expected as that is what Windows7 and previous do. But it sure would be convenient to have it on all displays.

Thanks for this! It's the best Start Menu replacement/enabler on Win8 I've tried. Any plans to add the start button to all taskbars in a multi-monitor setup? I've got three monitors, but it only shows up on the primary display. Which is expected as that is what Windows7 and previous do. But it sure would be convenient to have it on all displays.

Not at all to discourage Tihiy from going down that road, as Microsoft seems to always be about five to ten years behind in some of the bells and whistles that really smooth over the computing experience, like tabbed browsing and built-in download managers, and of course multi-monitor taskbars and Start Menus. I've been using multiple monitors for at least eight or so years, and with Windows 8, they've finally added some more support for multi-monitors.

In the meantime, there are at several if not many commercial programs for doing what you want. Maybe you already know this but are looking for SiB to do this, too, anyway. IMHO, the creme de la creme is DisplayFusion by Binary Fortress Software. It can be intimidating, but you don't have to dive into any features you don't want to, while at least taking advantage of it's basic function(s) immediately, but it's got a LOT of function and it does it well.

I've heard/read good things about Actual Multiple Monitors but haven't tried it.

UltraMon is another touted one, but the last time I tested it a couple years ago, I still preferred DisplayFusion. YMMV.

I don't know if there exists any free solutions right now.

I think I had found a WIKI list of multiple monitor support programs which had a matrix of features they have, and could help you decide which ones to try. Or maybe that was software KV(M) switches I found the matrix of features?

Also, as a plug and technically OT for something I thought looked interesting but haven't tried yet. http://mizage.com/windivvy/

Some of this capability *might* be built into DisplayFusion, but I haven't really used that so far if it does, and I'm on my laptop right now elsewhere and don't have DF installed at the moment.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT