Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

IT IS NOT A BUG:

I had issues with StartIsBack while running games in fullscreen windowed mode. While you're ingame and hit the windows key to bring up the task bar and then click another application like Chrome, nothing happens, the only way to get out is to alt tab.

It is a normal behavior for a windowed 3D game to stay on top of others, even in XP/Vista/7.

It is a normal behavior for a windowed 3D game to stay on top of others, even in XP/Vista/7.

Yes. But he says taskbar didn't switch between tasks, which is weird and if it reproduceable, then it's a bug. :unsure:

Yes. But he says taskbar didn't switch between tasks, which is weird and if it reproduceable, then it's a bug. :unsure:

The taskbar does switch between tasks, no anomalies at all. :)

The taskbar does switch between tasks, no anomalies at all. :)

Let's test 2 modes,

1. Full-screen: hit LWin, it takes me to the desktop with the start menu open and the game minimized in tray. The taskbar is OK.

2. Windowed 3d game mode: hit LWin, the start menu panel opens on top over the windowed game. The taskbar is OK, nothing unusual, the apps runninng in it, previews functional. TO SWITCH TO ANOTHER APP, you need to first minimize the windowed game because JUST LIKE IN XP/7/VISTA windowed games are topmost, such behavior is normal.

Can users please help me reproduce this issue?

I had issues with StartIsBack while running games in fullscreen windowed mode. While you're ingame and hit the windows key to bring up the task bar and then click another application like Chrome, nothing happens, the only way to get out is to alt tab. This doesn't happen always, but its somewhere around 50% of the time. Back to Start8 for me.

I tried it on a few games and it worked fine. I was able to select another app and it went to that app just fine. I do it all the time with TSearch.

As for windowed apps...it's depends on the app and how the window form was coded. So you can't simply just test any app. I suspect the same will be true with a full screen app as well. The guy that had this problem is going to have to tell us WHAT app he was using and we'll have to try to hunt it down and try it out for ourselves.

great app but cant find way to donate.

I am still using win7 on main rig and have no plans to upgrade but am playing with win8 in a VM.

This seems to resolve one major issue which is metro, the next is how to get my win7 theme working on win8, win8 desktop seems to have took away aero enhancements and replaced with some kind of retro look from 10 years ago.

my concern is tho (not tried to do yet) how does this app play with classic shell as I use classic shell on windows 7 for various reasons and would on win8 for the same reasons but since that messes with the start menu on windows 8 would it cause problems?

Also is the start menu fully featured, on windows 7 if I run an app it appears on the start menu on this apps don't seem to be appearing unless I pin.

Edited by Chrysalis

This used to work great, but today I encountered a bug that stays even after a reboot. If I try to open control panel objects like "Sound" or "Task Scheduler" through the start menu search, or pinned to start menu, it just quickly flashes the metro screen but does not open anything.

Also, it would be great if you could somehow incorporate the right click tool menu that normally opens from where the start orb used to be. Another nice thing would be a shortcut in the start menu that opens the metro screen. But other than that, a truly great piece of software and will probably be buying when the final version is released.

This used to work great, but today I encountered a bug that stays even after a reboot. If I try to open control panel objects like "Sound" or "Task Scheduler" through the start menu search, or pinned to start menu, it just quickly flashes the metro screen but does not open anything.

Also, it would be great if you could somehow incorporate the right click tool menu that normally opens from where the start orb used to be. Another nice thing would be a shortcut in the start menu that opens the metro screen. But other than that, a truly great piece of software and will probably be buying when the final version is released.

I dont have that problem here.. beta4

Right click gives me Menu and Taskbar properties

Edited by UTC

1. great app but cant find way to donate.

2. my concern is tho (not tried to do yet) how does this app play with classic shell as I use classic shell on windows 7 for various reasons and would on win8 for the same reasons but since that messes with the start menu on windows 8 would it cause problems?

3. Also is the start menu fully featured, on windows 7 if I run an app it appears on the start menu on this apps don't seem to be appearing unless I pin.

1. StartIsBack is not freeware. RC version is due soon. Then you can purchase a key. Stay tuned for the first 2 posts in the first page of this thread.

2. You can use classic shell software along with StartIsBack menu without any conflicts. I use both too. In this case StartIsBack will override the start button, but you can invoke classic shell's menu with its hotkey.

3. Just right-click on the start button, start menu properties, and set the desired number of recently opened programs to display. That's it, just like the start menu in 7, nice, fast, and reliable.

1. great app but cant find way to donate.

2. my concern is tho (not tried to do yet) how does this app play with classic shell as I use classic shell on windows 7 for various reasons and would on win8 for the same reasons but since that messes with the start menu on windows 8 would it cause problems?

3. Also is the start menu fully featured, on windows 7 if I run an app it appears on the start menu on this apps don't seem to be appearing unless I pin.

1. StartIsBack is not freeware. RC version is due soon. Then you can purchase a key. Stay tuned for the first 2 posts in the first page of this thread.

2. You can use classic shell software along with StartIsBack menu without any conflicts. I use both too. In this case StartIsBack will override the start button, but you can invoke classic shell's menu with its hotkey.

3. Just right-click on the start button, start menu properties, and set the desired number of recently opened programs to display. That's it, just like the start menu in 7, nice, fast, and reliable.

ok I can confirm its set to 10 recent programs.

The only recent its showing is task manager (which was there before I ever ran it) and notepad I have started IE numerous times since installing start is back and it isn't showing up. However I just tested now with calculator and that appeared, is IE excempt from this?

Also with pricing my concern is with donations I donate what I can afford at the time, it maybe 5 euros it may be 20 euros it depends what I can afford, but I always donate to free apps I use with any kind of regularity, eg. I donated to 7 taskbar tweaker. I am very hesitant to forcefully pay for apps that add features that really should be in the OS that I have already paid for, so all I ask is that you do price it reasonably and to allow use on multiple machines with one purchase instead of forcing activation per machine because then it can quickly become very expensive.

Edited by Chrysalis

I am very hesitant to forcefully pay for apps that add features that really should be in the OS that I have already paid for

... so in essence you want to use Tihy's program, but since MS decided to SCREW you, you want to SCREW him?

Why pay for Win8 then?

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

[...] so all I ask is that you do price it reasonably and to allow use on multiple machines with one purchase instead of forcing activation per machine because then it can quickly become very expensive.

I totally agree with that. If I were you (Tihiy) I would use a login system instead of serial keys... That way you would allow use on multiple machine and monitor how many are running using that account.

...Every program is crackable, no matter how many protection/obfuscation techniques you use there will always be someone to bypass them you know, there's a great chance that those people who want to use your product on multiple machine but can't without purchasing a new license will just download a cracked version somewhere... Just saying

Edited by kelsett

[...] so all I ask is that you do price it reasonably and to allow use on multiple machines with one purchase instead of forcing activation per machine because then it can quickly become very expensive.

I totally agree with that. If I were you (Tihiy) I would use a login system instead of serial keys... That way you would allow use on multiple machine and monitor how many are running using that account.

...Every program is crackable, no matter how many protection/obfuscation techniques you use there will always be someone to bypass them you know, there's a great chance that those people who want to use your product on multiple machine but can't without purchasing a new license will just download a cracked version somewhere... Just saying

Man you guys are the RUDEST EVER... Just saying ...

Does it open normally after the first time it fails?

Also with pricing my concern is with donations I donate what I can afford at the time, it maybe 5 euros it may be 20 euros it depends what I can afford, but I always donate to free apps I use with any kind of regularity, eg. I donated to 7 taskbar tweaker. I am very hesitant to forcefully pay for apps that add features that really should be in the OS that I have already paid for, so all I ask is that you do price it reasonably and to allow use on multiple machines with one purchase instead of forcing activation per machine because then it can quickly become very expensive.

The keys will be cheap enough. Just stay tuned.

Man you guys are the RUDEST EVER... Just saying ...

I didn't mean to be rude, I'm only giving a piece of advice, being myself a developper and having sold software before.

Edited by kelsett