Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Happy Turkey Day in advance, Tihiy and everyone! Been so busy with plans - getting married on Saturday and then honeymoon!

I'm very happy for you guys! Congratulations and best luck!

• 1 month later...

After using 8.1 for a while and encountering a few issues I've just gone back to 8 (fresh install). I use the option "use small taskbar buttons", and the top of the start button sticks out above the taskbar (using the white win8 logo option, also applies to others though). Ticking "resize to fit taskbar" and reimporting the icons seems to have no effect. I've tried resizing them myself in Gimp, but the end result is pretty ugly no matter which downsampling option I use. On 8.1, the icon is nice and compact. Is there a fix for this?

EDIT: One of the icons from here was suitable:

http://warrenclyde.deviantart.com/art/Windows-8-Metro-Orbs-320240575

Also, can we please have the advanced context menu present in 8.1? I can't find the option in 8.

Edited by Pirateguybrush

hello. is there a known bug that sometimes restarts the desktop windows manager ( dwm process ) when I click the start button ? usually it does this the first time I push the button after a cold boot. sometimes even after that. I reverted to version 2.1.1 and that solved the issue for about 2 months and now the problem is back. please help me

Also, can we please have the advanced context menu present in 8.1? I can't find the option in 8.

It's called "Combine start button menu with Win-X menu".

hello. is there a known bug that sometimes restarts the desktop windows manager ( dwm process ) when I click the start button ? usually it does this the first time I push the button after a cold boot. sometimes even after that. I reverted to version 2.1.1 and that solved the issue for about 2 months and now the problem is back. please help me

No, such bug is not known, must be video driver problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a wierd situation with StartIsBack for 8.1

I have installed it on 2 identical Visio CT15-A5 computers, freshly upgraded from win8 to win 8.1

One works fine,

The other does not seem to even be installing properly.

I have re-downloaded the latest version and tried to re-install.

No go on the second computer, the only way to get the start menu on this one is to hit the Windos key. Hovering over the start area (lower left) does not do anything.

Any help or suggestions will be valued.

Cheers,

JoeKL

@Tihiy , you know I've been an early adopter, and supporter of this project.

I try to promote it too at my University, however people feel reluctant to install Trial Software and prefer to opt for free alternative because they only need absolute basic out of start menu.

I thought I might suggest a freeware version of StartIsBack Light with 98% configuration and functions removed or greyed out, just to get people on bored with SiB, those who want all the setting will want to pay, other will stick to Light version but wont go to alternative products.

just an idea.

• 6 months later...