Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

You can check the SIB+ option 'Enable on corners on secondary screens'. That will make secondary monitors have standard Start button and open start menu on primary monitor only.

I don't want to have corners enabled on any of my monitors.

I just want an option to always open start menu on my main monitor even with taskbar present on all monitors. Enabling corners is not an option because they are annoying.

Basically, I want it to work like it did in 8.0

Edited by Dissentient

Getting some glitching.

Taskbar seems to be flickering? Not sure if its a Startisback issue or a GFX Driver issue?

StartIsBack does not really affect taskbar painting.

how can we export the Settings to apply them on a 2nd PC?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\StartIsBack]

Export those keys from registry.

I am a registered user of Startisback. Formerlly with Win 8 Pro x64..

I updated today to Win 8.1 Pro x64. At first no more start menu. I downloaded and installed the newest startisback for 8.1, 1.01.

Now I have a Start menu back, but I lost everything I had in it before. Yes, the secondary start menu works when one clicks Programs (that menu is still how I set it), but the primary one has lost all that I had put in it before. (The one that one first sees on clicking the Start Button,)

Where are those settings for the first start menu one sees, with the items I added to it? Can I get them back? Or do I have to rebuild it from scratch? (One would think though, that SIB would have saved that data some place, from the Win8 version. I should not have to take the time to rebuild it from scratch.)

If I have to rebuild it, another problem. In Explorer, in looking at files and folders, I no longer see the option “Pin to Start Menu”, even if I hold down Shift. (“Pin to Start” is there, but that is for pinning to the Metro Start Screen, not what I want.) How do I get back “Pin to Start Menu”?

And again—is my former Start menu (with the items I added to it) still available somewhere, for me to recover? Didn't SIB save that configuration somehow?

Thank you.

PS I am actually amazed that one still needs SIB or another 3rd party app in order to have a start menu in Win 8.1 There were so many complaints about that with Win8, and so many use these 3rd party programs to get it back. So they added back a start button and one can boot to desktop in 8.1 (without a 3rd party app), but still no Start Menu! Incredibly stupid of Microsoft. But I guess good for you (SIB developer), as people still need your app.

Edited by maikii

Just recently brought startisback via the gumroad paying format as I didn't particularly want to set up a paypal and the money went through ok but its the old version you get not startisback+ so I cant activate my trial or download my brought version on 8.1 :( any ideas?

Also multi monitor support is non existant but having read previous posts i see its coming soon so ill hold tight :).

maikii, it seems your trial is expired.

Kingace, Gumroad purchase sends you StartIsBack exe which is exactly the same version as you download. Just dowlnoad StartIsBack+ from here http://startisback.com/#download-tab

Yes I have downloaded it from that link but as Gumroad only gives you a download link and doesn't give you a activation code so I cant activate the program for when the trial period ends :(.

This is the error I get:

puWmqw1.png

And this is all I got given after I brought 5 licenses:

1fqN4Oh.jpg

Yes I have downloaded it from that link but as Gumroad only gives you a download link and doesn't give you a activation code so I cant activate the program for when the trial period ends :(.

Please write an e-mail to me from your purchase email and we'll find your key!

Tihly,

Regarding your post #2020.

As I mentioned in my post #2018, I have purchased StartIsBack. So it is not a trial.

I was using SIB 2.1 on Win8 Pro x64. SIB was all paid for and activated.

I updated yesterday to Win8.1 Pro x64. SIB no longer worked. So I went to your site, and downloaded and installed the new version for Win 8.1 SIB+ 1.01. It works, and is listed as activated. It is not a trial.

Rather than repeat myself about what my problem is though, please reread my post 2018 and reply to it. It is not an issue of a trial expiring. I have purchased SIB, and it is activated.

Thank you.

I understand what your problem is, but the symptoms - blank menu and no ability to pin items indicate that SIB thinks it's trial time out.

Sorry for the trouble. Try deleting SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\License and reactivating.

If it does not help, please write to support email.

I understand what your problem is, but the symptoms - blank menu and no ability to pin items indicate that SIB thinks it's trial time out.

Sorry for the trouble. Try deleting SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\License and reactivating.

If it does not help, please write to support email.

Although it says its activated, you mean it somehow is not?

The main Start Menu isn'[ completely blank. One or two items are on it, but not those that I placed on it before 8.1. (Once again, the Programs menu is the same as before, with everything I had added., But the main start menu has lost all that I had pinned to it.

So usually, when someone using SIB 2.1 with Win8 upgrades to Win 8.1, and installs SIB+ the menu setup that one had created in SIB2.1 with win8 appears in SIB+ under Win 8.1, with no items lost?

So are you saying that without uninstalling, I should delete the file you mention. Then when one starts Properties of SIB, one will see a request to activate, then type in my activation code (which I will have to look for)? After doing that should I get back the menu setup I had created before?

I understand you want your settings to be restored, but please don't turn this thread into a support case.

Write to support email, with screenshot of the issue if possible.

I've uninstalled StartIsBack many times, and I never choose to delete the settings and license data when uninstalling it. Therefore, all the items I added to the Start Menu are always there when I reinstall it or install StartIsBlack Plus.

Re 2026

I thought forums like this were for support, and a question and reply on the forum could help others with similar issues, even in the future.

I managed to get Pin to Start menu back with a tweak app, Ultimate Windows Tweaker (freeware).

As said, the main menu of my start menu (left side) now has one item in it, while there were several before. The one item is Outlook 2013. I do have Office 2013 installed, and use Outlook 2013, but never had it in that start menu. It is in the Office 2013 folder in All Programs, and I also have Outlook in the Quick Launch Menu. No need for it on the main menu left side. But the other items I had there before are all gone.

I could rebuild it from scratch, but it certainly would be much easier, and save precious time, if I could restore it.

Do you still think it would solve the problem by deleting my activation file, reboot, and re-activate?

By the way, Aloha, I have not uninstalled SIB.

---------------------------------------

Edit: I mentioned above that Outlook is now in my main Start Menu left side, although I never put it there. I now realize that is not there as a set item, but as a "Recent Program". Now there are two apps there (as I have set to show two recent programs), but no set items.

If indeed the problem was one of activation (although under Start Menu Properties, About it says "your license is activated", would the Recent Programs still be showing, as well as the full right side of that menu, and the full Programs Menu? Should I still try deleting the activation files and reactivating? Or does it sound like something else now? (Somehow all my set left side main menu items were lost in upgrading to Win 8.1 and SIB+, but are they stored somewhere, in a file or the registry?) (Again though, all else works. The recent programs on the left side works, I can add new items there (I was able to restoe "Pin to Start menu" to Explorer with a third party tweak app), the right side is normal, and the Programs menu is as I set it before.,)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by maikii