Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Running a clean install of Windows 8.1 build 9431 in VMware, I'm running test build 9 of Start is Back and everything works ok apart from the Start Menu options is blank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Radeon/Forum%20Photos/StartisBack81Build9_zps40302e2c.jpg

Have tried completely uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling but still has the same issue, apart from that it works great.

Running a clean install of Windows 8.1 build 9431 in VMware, I'm running test build 9 of Start is Back and everything works ok apart from the Start Menu options is blank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Radeon/Forum%20Photos/StartisBack81Build9_zps40302e2c.jpg

Have tried completely uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling but still has the same issue, apart from that it works great.

That's expected, test builds are for testing. Beta is expected in a week or two with those essential things restored.

A few things:

- The test build10 is nagging me to update to 2.1.1, is that a bug or is it really newer? I'm on 8.1

- When taskbar is on the left/right side of the screen, the start menu overlaps the taskbar. Microsoft never fixed that, can you?

- The power button on the start menu should list the items as follows:

• Switch User
  • Log Off
  • Lock
  • Restart
  • Sleep

Currently, Sleep and Restart are switched, which kinda kills my muscle memory of pressing win->right->right->enter to send my pc to standby, as I always do on win7.

If you don't want to switch that, may we have an option to configure the order of those entries?

Edited by Soukyuu

have been using startisback on windows 8 for a while now, and usually every hour or two of use windows explorer crashes while transferring data, or just navigating the explorer. never happened without startisback, and it's very very annoying. Will this issue be fixed at somepoint? thanks... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi i already told u on Test build 9 but someone removed it. If you can make menu shown in theme (its windows 8 theme obvisiouly) soo it dsn't have too look like same but can u make icons small like this this.Theme creator is using Start 8 Thankyou! and Sorry for my English. :)

fBKjhZH.png

Hi,

Recent bug i've found is if you have your network list side bar is open on the side (from selecting the network icon in the bottom taskbar), if you move your mouse to the bottom left corner the Windows 8 Start menu still appears, even if it is set to disabled.

First post at the top of two pages before this one.

Sent from my Sprint (Page Plus) Samsung Galaxy S2 / Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk on Re-Calked in Jellybean ROM v1.2 Jellybean 4.1.2, Agat63's v1.42F Kernel+CrossBreeder v7.2 and SwiftKey keyboard.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

May fire up a VM or repartition a hard drive when time permits and start testing this, and with the preview version of bigmuscle's Aero Glass, whenever I can nag him for an invitation response (not nag for a yes vote, but just a response, be it yes or no). I'm finicky with my start menu replacements, so I will assist in at least helping you find a pixel-perfect theme and make the final build as pixel-perfect as possible. Now, I'm not an artist, but I can pinpoint minor aesthetic bugs I think should be changed and give constructive feedback. I've seen start menu replacements, and most non-native ones are extremely buggy or looked like crap. Hopefully all the software has matured, especially Startisback. I know native is now impossible (thanks MS!) but that doesn't mean we cannot make this start menu (and button) look as native as possible with Windows 8.1 adjustments. Hoozah! Also on a side note, I really like the new MSFN. Simpler, but more importantly seems to crash less.

Edited by MikeRL

Awesome. Anyhow, will the old StartisBack be maintained for a short while (I would love to upgrade to 8.1 as soon as it RTMs, but I am quite happy with 8 and compatibility hell would ensue) for Windows 8 even after 8.1 RTMs? I'm not asking you to update it for ages on end, but I am asking for a half year or so of bugfixes and maybe translations if they're provided. I know you're an independent developer, and as much as I'd love to rush over to 8.1, I am going to wait until most of my programs are at least somewhat compatible (probably just a few months) and then I will upgrade. The choice to continue supporting an old version is yours.

Awesome. So I'm not forced to upgrade again overnight again with this rapid release mess that MS is cooking up. Thanks. Brings some sanity to this new "organized chaos".

Hi Tihiy,

Have you ever considered porting StartIsBack to run on Windows RT devices, as per the instructions available on xda-developers.com?

I'm not sure which compiler you used to build StartIsBack, but if the linked instructions don't seem too difficult to do--and you're willing to give it a try--I would be more than happy to make a donation for your efforts as well as to help with the testing.

While such ported desktop applications will only work on jailbroken Windows RT devices, I think the poor Surface RT and Store sales, and the interest that has been generated in developing/recompiling desktop applications for Windows RT may cause Microsoft to reconsider its stance and allow users to run unsigned code at their own risk.

Thanks, and cheers!

Hi all,

I love this product! Please can you tell me one thing though, I don't like the way Windows combines things in the taskbar, I like them to look old school, I think in one of the startisback versions I managed to do this, but now after going through all the options I can't find it?? Please help!

Thanks

Mark