Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Hi Pengipete,

I didn't say you said it was or wasn't "related to the trial expiration"! I was just saying I didn't think so when I happened to read your post again which seemed to me that you pointed to a possible solution somewhat related to the expiration. Hope you don't find my post ambiguous at all!

There's something else I want to say. Sometimes when I click on the start button I see the icons of some applications being messed up. For example, Start Screen has the icon of File Explorer, MS Word of Calculator, Calculator of Paint, and so on. I leave them and a few minutes later I check, they have fixed themselves.

Hi!

I've been using Start8 since Windows 8 was released. Recently I tried StartIsBack 2.1 and found that its search functionality is superior to that of Start8. I'm planning to switch to StartIsBack. Please add the following two features in a future version:

1. Ability to set a size for the Start menu. Currently there is no way to make it smaller than the maximum size that makes it go all the way to the top of the screen. If there are say just 6 programs pinned and I've turned off the display recent programs, most of the menu remains blank.

2. More options for buttons. I want to have a button like the default white one in Start8. It's perfectly gels with the overall Windows8 minimalistic theme. I searched a lot in DeviantArt and WinCustomize but couldn't find its equivalent.

Thanks.

(Sorry if I posted my request at the wrong place. It is the only StartIsBack forum I could find.)

1. Ability to set a size for the Start menu. Currently there is no way to make it smaller than the maximum size that makes it go all the way to the top of the screen. If there are say just 6 programs pinned and I've turned off the display recent programs, most of the menu remains blank.

Just set the number of recent programs to lesser amount.
2. More options for buttons. I want to have a button like the default white one in Start8. It's perfectly gels with the overall Windows8 minimalistic theme. I searched a lot in DeviantArt and WinCustomize but couldn't find its equivalent.

Yes, orb suck. Unfortunately Microsoft fobid including windows logos with the program, but you can download them from the website.

Just set the number of recent programs to lesser amount.

Yep, did that. Set the number to zero. It doesn't show recent programs but the menu is just as tall as before. Look:

Screenshot_61.jpg

Yes, orb suck. Unfortunately Microsoft fobid including windows logos with the program, but you can download them from the website.

Thanks. The white logo turning translucent on mouse hover looks good. However, it would look even better if there would appear a slightly darker square around it on mouse hover like it is done in Start8. (Sorry for my repeatedly mentioning Start8.)

Anyone tell me why this tells me activations all used when I have purchased this software. I didn't think we were restricted if we have problems with our pc. What happens now please. I really do need some help please.

Many thanks

Anyone tell me why this tells me activations all used when I have purchased this software. I didn't think we were restricted if we have problems with our pc. What happens now please. I really do need some help please.

Write me to support email with your license key specified.

Hello to all, hopefully i wont bother you to much with my question, i have been looking for a solution for converting W8, it seems SIB may be the best , but i have also been recommended to use classicshell(.net) and i wonder what the difference is between it and SIB?

Also, how easily doe SIB uninstall ?

In reading through most of this thread i noticed that it was suggested that individuals download and install the latest version, i am wondering if there is a way to integrate and auto-update of sorts into the functionality. that said, how often are new versions released?

Thank you !

Hello to all, hopefully i wont bother you to much with my question, i have been looking for a solution for converting W8, it seems SIB may be the best , but i have also been recommended to use classicshell(.net) and i wonder what the difference is between it and SIB?

Also, how easily doe SIB uninstall ?

In reading through most of this thread i noticed that it was suggested that individuals download and install the latest version, i am wondering if there is a way to integrate and auto-update of sorts into the functionality. that said, how often are new versions released?

Thank you !

The main difference is...SiB uses the actual Start Menu code that is left in Windows 8. So you are getting a more authentic solution. My suggestion to you (if you want to check them both out) is to install classicshell. Check it out then uninstall it. Then install SiB and check it out as well. When you'll be a first hand informed user on both. I say to install SiB second because I'm 99% sure you wont be uninstalling it to go back to classic shell :)

At any rate, SiB uninstalls just fine so no worries.

If I might add, a huge difference to me operationally is that SiB's search field works uses Window's on by default indexing - which is much faster, and Classic Shell uses it's own search mechanism, which is much slower. I'm sure this is a happy side effect of SiB using the remaining Start Menu code and/or re-implemented code which was removed in W8, but I feel that this is worth calling attention to.

OT: Sorry I've been so vacant from these forums lately, but my fiance and I moved in together a couple months ago and we've both started new jobs. We're also getting married at the end of November so that planning saps some time too, but it's good to be busy and life is good if you know what I mean! :)

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I was leaning to SiB but just wanted to make sure i understood correctly, you have both convinced me, i am not even going to try classic shell.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Edited by UbinTook

If I might add, a huge difference to me operationally is that SiB's search field works uses Window's on by default indexing - which is much faster, and Classic Shell uses it's own search mechanism, which is much slower. I'm sure this is a happy side effect of SiB using the remaining Start Menu code and/or re-implemented code which was removed in W8, but I feel that this is worth calling attention to.

OT: Sorry I've been so vacant from these forums lately, but my fiance and I moved in together a couple months ago and we've both started new jobs. We're also getting married at the end of November so that planning saps some time too, but it's good to be busy and life is good if you know what I mean! :)

OT: Gongrats!!!!

OT: Gongrats!!!!

Thank you very much! Why, oh, why was I spending the last 10-15 minutes trying to edit my quoted portion of this reply on my phone while I was in the kitchen when I could just walk over to the PC!? :D

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a quick search and found nothing. Do we know how Windows 8.1/Blue reintroducing the start button will affect Start Is Back? Are there additional functionality that is unlikely to be included with the Microsoft update?

I heard the Start Button will only bring up Metro/Start Screen, not the classic Start Menu, which is a fail move from Microsoft. Why are they so hesitant and stubborn about this, according to them "nobody uses the Start Menu"... epic fail there Microsoft.