Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Looks like Microsoft may be responding to customer pressure/complaints and bringing back the start menu as an option, and also adding a boot to desktop option

My linkhttp://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

If it turns out that way then we have people like Tihiy to thank for it. If there was never an alternative then people would have nothing to vote on.

Looks like Microsoft may be responding to customer pressure/complaints and bringing back the start menu as an option, and also adding a boot to desktop option

My linkhttp://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

If it turns out that way then we have people like Tihiy to thank for it. If there was never an alternative then people would have nothing to vote on.

totally agreed - Tihiy has done a fantastic job

If Windows 8.1 comes with start menu, I would be glad. Too bad it won't happen, even if there is a huge motion for it inside Microsoft.

One member of Windows team told me - "I think your app serves a need that we’re not serving right now."

Let's wait for 8.1 release and I hope it won't feel so rushed, despite very short development time. Let's hope we will have StartIsBack.Next by then.

2.1RC1 should come next week with some new UI goodie and I hope some would like it.

Even if the rumors of Microsoft putting a start menu and a boot-to-desktop option into Windows 8 turn out to be true, I hope you keep up your work with StartIsBack, Tihiy. I like the features you've added (Start Apps folder in start menu, rename Start page to Apps, etc.) that Microsoft isn't likely to include. I will continue using StartIsBack regardless (assuming it still works).

Plus, I think a Microsoft Windows 8 start menu will likely be styled more for Windows 8 instead of the classic Windows 7 style.

Edited by CompUser

If Windows 8.1 comes with start menu, I would be glad. Too bad it won't happen, even if there is a huge motion for it inside Microsoft.

One member of Windows team told me - "I think your app serves a need that we’re not serving right now."

You are correct sir. The Windows insiders are telling the pro-Microsoft bloggers like Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott that a return of the start button will only bring up the Metro Start Screen, not the classic Start Menu. And if 8.1 does end up removing dependency code that StartIsBack and others rely on, they'll really be trolling their most longtime users.

Microsoft just doesn't get it.

IGvGDn8.jpg

Edited by mvd

Version 2.1RC1

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

New:

- Option to show taskbar on the Start Screen. When enabled, taskbar is available on the Start Screen. It's also recolored to match Metro color.

Supports auto-hide and secondary taskbars. Hot corners which are overlapped by taskbar on Start Screen behave like configured to behave on desktop.

- "Pin to Start menu" is available in all programs shell context menus, not just in File Explorer

- Excluded shortcuts for system shortcuts which are available on the right start menu pane (Run, Control Panel, etc) from start menu MFU program list

- Multiple activations of the same license key is possible on same Windows installation but different hardware (to handle VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop)

If you want to downgrade from this release, please uninstall it first.

IMPORTANT

I've received a request from Microsoft to remove start button orbs which contain Windows logo.

This means Version 2.1 release must have all different orbs. I'm looking for a good designer to create a good-looking replacement start button picture.

Edited by Tihiy

Version 2.1RC1

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

New:

- Option to show taskbar on the Start Screen. When enabled, taskbar is available on the Start Screen. It's also recolored to match Metro color.

Supports auto-hide and secondary taskbars. Hot corners which are overlapped by taskbar on Start Screen behave like configured to behave on desktop.

- "Pin to Start menu" is available in all programs context menus, not just in File Explorer

- Excluded shortcuts for system shortcuts available in right pane from MFU (Run, Control Panel, etc)

- Multiple activations of the same license key is possible on same Windows installation but different hardware (to handle VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop)

If you want to downgrade from this release, please uninstall it first.

IMPORTANT

I've received a request from Microsoft to remove start button orbs which contain Windows logo.

This means Version 2.1 release must have all different orbs. I'm looking for a good designer to create a good-looking replacement start button picture.

Awesome! Checking it out now.

Under "C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\Orbs"....all I see is the square windows orb. Where can we snag the default orb before it's gone forever?

Under "C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\Orbs"....all I see is the square windows orb. Where can we snag the default orb before it's gone forever?

I'll provide it later since it will be very requested. Please let's not make a gazillion of posts about where to get it.

I could design a few orbs for you ;)

I'll provide it later since it will be very requested. Please let's not make a gazillion of posts about where to get it.

Awesome, thanks!!!

I don't uninstall the old version before installing this one, so it keeps all the old start buttons including the ones with Windows logo. Is this allowed?

I like the option to have the taskbar on the Start screen but when I click on the orb, it returns to the old desktop immediately. Then to me, temporarily, it works just like the desktop tile! It looks cool though when the scrollbar doesn't display above it.

And this version fixes a small problem I had a few days ago. Don't know why it took a little longer than usual to open the Task Manager, around 5 seconds or so. Now it shows right away when I choose to open it.

Thanks for the upgrading.

I'd like to have a new feature like the possibility to replace start screen with "All apps" page.
Nope.

I like the option to have the taskbar on the Start screen but when I click on the orb, it returns to the old desktop immediately. Then to me, temporarily, it works just like the desktop tile! It looks cool though when the scrollbar doesn't display above it.

Note that right end on the taskbar brings to desktop (and peeks on it), as well as right-click -> Show Desktop.