Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Why is it offending? This sub forum is called Windows 8 and we are talking about a service pack of W8. I see nothing wrong with your post at all.

This thread about StartisBack. NOT Windows 8.

Back on topic please.

Aloha

Why is it offending? This sub forum is called Windows 8 and we are talking about a service pack of W8. I see nothing wrong with your post at all.

Aloha would you like a warning for not posting relative information about Start Is Back?

This is a sub forum for Windows 8 is correct, but this thread is about Start Is Back only, it for a Tihiy to develop an application for Windows 8 users.

This is not a thread for

1:\ Rumours about Microsoft Alpha Operating System

2:\ About Service Pack for Windows 8

3:\ People whining because they do not like the Admin decisions

stelian88 , you are only just posting rumours from around the web about Windows 9 and or Windows Blue, and that is not adding

anything to help Tihiy in the testing and development of Start Is Back for Windows 8 and that is why I raised your warning level.

Thanks Aloha,

I found out you were correct. I right-clicked a program shortcut that I wanted to pin to the Start Menu, looked farther down the context menu, found "Pin to Start Menu", and this time it worked, the item appeared on the original start menu, left side.

However, still one problem. If I right-click a folder, or even a shortcut to a folder, that "Pin to Start Menu" context menu item does not appear. It only seems to appear when one right-clicks a program, or a shortcut to a program. ("Pin to Start" appears when one right-clicks on anything, but not "Pin to Start Menu".)

I would like to be able to pin a couple folders there too, and was able to do that in Windows 7. How can I do that in Windows 8 with SIB?

Thank you.

Maikii,

According to your explanation, I'm afraid you have chosen Pin to Start instead of Pin to Start Menu. When I right-click on an item that hasn't been pinned to anywhere, I have Pin to Start and then Pin to Start Menu a few lines below.

Stelian88,

If it's just a service pack then it doesn't have many features different from the current W8, does it?

I'll try this Windows Blue if I have a chance! Thank you for replying.

And have a nice weekend, guys!

I would like to be able to pin a couple folders there too, and was able to do that in Windows 7. How can I do that in Windows 8 with SIB?

Via drag-and-drop'ing folder to Start button, like in Windows 8.

As for 'Windows Blue' - nothing to say right now, working hard for the future.

Let's sort out the XP folder sorting feature - should it be items before folders in main tree or folders before items? I guess it should be folders before items; items before folders were on XP were like 'pin area' which is redundant in 7 menu.

Let's sort out the XP folder sorting feature - should it be items before folders in main tree or folders before items? I guess it should be folders before items; items before folders were on XP were like 'pin area' which is redundant in 7 menu.
Maybe you could do it exactly like in XP - icons that are in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu first (assuming there are any), followed by folders then icons from Programs? (not that I care - I got too used to the Vista/7 style to go back to XP.

Since there are a lot of users saying how sorting apps first and folders bellow them isn't how it was done in XP, can I just say that I PREFER it NOT doing it like XP?

This is Windows 8 after all.

Personally, I PREFER the apps being on top and the folders bellow them JUST THE WAY THEY ARE NOW.

After 15 years of using the various Windows iterations I actually find this the more preferable way.

I don't see why it should be changed simply because "that's not how it was done in Windows XP".

Since there are a lot of users saying how sorting apps first and folders bellow them isn't how it was done in XP, can I just say that I PREFER it NOT doing it like XP?

This is Windows 8 after all.

Personally, I PREFER the apps being on top and the folders bellow them JUST THE WAY THEY ARE NOW.

After 15 years of using the various Windows iterations I actually find this the more preferable way.

I don't see why it should be changed simply because "that's not how it was done in Windows XP".

Sounds like its time for a poll! :)

It could also be an option set via preferences. But if we are talking about an "XP folder sorting feature", then it seems it should default to the order that XP uses. Of course this is another example why, for those that preferred the XP method of doing things, I've always liked the idea of the combination of StartIsBack plus ClassicShell so you have the options available to set it exactly how you want it.

Cheers and Regards

Aloha would you like a warning for not posting relative information about Start Is Back?

Gosh, no one would like such a stupid warning, you sure know that then why bother asking?

OK, will stop talking off topic and behave courteously from now on.

Absolutely agree with BP's idea although I don't use XP style. If it was made to be like XP, then the folders should be above the items.

Btw, I had some strange experience while using Firefox with a lot of tabs opened. Not sure if it is related to SIB or not. That happened when I blocked the cookies from some sites, I saw a flash of a black background with some scrawly graphics. It was too fast for me to take a screenshot. After the flash, everything was just fine. This didn't happened when I had SIB 2.0. Now I avoid this problem by not opening too many tabs when I am using Firefox.

If the folders are above the programs in the start menu, that's Windows XP. If the programs are above the folders, then that's Windows 7. I don't understand how/why this is even a debate.

Edited by CompUser

Thanks. I will try that.

I actually did not do it that way in Win7 though.

In Win7, I can right-click on any kind of file, and there is a choice in the context menu "Pin to Start Menu", and if I choose it, there is a shortcut for the item on the first main page of the start menu, on the left.

I don't recall if Win7 did that out of the box though, or whether I applied some tweak to enable that. If I did a tweak, I do not remember it, or I would try the same on Win8, and see if it works.

Anyone know how to enable that?

Thanks.

Via drag-and-drop'ing folder to Start button, like in Windows 8.

As for 'Windows Blue' - nothing to say right now, working hard for the future.

.greeting!perhaps be my last post that do not want to upset anyone ................

I have something to add to startisback,a small bug.about Windows 7/8 Scroll Bar in Start Menu= the program startisback, line(scroll bar) instead to stand up when closing line start menu stays where was the last time.Windows 7 does not this happen.stand up when closing line start menu.

or if you have noticed the new interface in Windows 8 line (scroll bar) is at first

ll put some pictures to give you an idea of ​​what I mean

post-373952-0-53789400-1364917389_thumb.

post-373952-0-48839800-1364917407_thumb.

post-373952-0-03300200-1364917417_thumb.

post-373952-0-25943700-1364917659_thumb.

Edited by stelian88

.greeting!perhaps be my last post that do not want to upset anyone ................

I have something to add to startisback,a small bug.about Windows 7/8 Scroll Bar in Start Menu= the program startisback, line(scroll bar) instead to stand up when closing line start menu stays where was the last time.Windows 7 does not this happen.stand up when closing line start menu.

or if you have noticed the new interface in Windows 8 line (scroll bar) is at first

ll put some pictures to give you an idea of ​​what I mean

It seems you need to increase margins for the programs pane style if you're making a custom skin. (I'm not sure if it is possible in WSB)

Also you're not showing any StartIsBack screenshots.

Edited by Tihiy