Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

-That's right, but subfolders of folders are, like in XP. Although still not 100% like it. Not sure if items should go after folders in main tree.
Well, in XP icons would be sorted both before and after folders; specifically, icons that classic Start Menu placed at the top of Start menu (not in Programs) were displayed first, followed by Programs content after a separator.

xpclassic.png

Well, in XP icons would be sorted both before and after folders; specifically, icons that classic Start Menu placed at the top of Start menu (not in Programs) were displayed first, followed by Programs content after a separator.

I know; that's a mess.

What's the use for it? There is some.

I guess it's useful to prevent the start screen from adding too many tiles on it when new applications are installed. I used to unpin a lot of unnecessary tiles when I installed the applications that are not from the Store.

And, thank you for the shortcut to open the properties. I'll pin it to the Start Menu.

Doesn't work for me. As said, I see Pin to Start Menu in the Win Explorer context menu, but that doesn't add the item to the SIB menu. All I see in the first SIB menu (before clicking "All Programs") are the recently used apps, nothing fixed.

Is there a setting I could change to fix this?

As said, I have version 2.0, which was the most recent one when I downloaded a couple days ago. But I see people referring to 2.1. Is there a 2.1 available now.. Does this feature work better in 2.1?

Also, having just installed it yesterday, I am on the trial, not yet paid. Does that feature only work when the app is paid and acitivated?

Thanks in advance.

I just installed startisback 2.0 today, and it is cool.

One thing I am missing though, from the Win7 Start Menu.

In Win7, one could right-click on a program or shortcut (or folder, or anything really), and choose "Pin to Start Menu". Once one did that, one would see it in the first start menu that comes up on pressing the Start button, before clicking "All Programs".

Of course one would not want to put most programs there and get that first menu cluttered, but it is a convenient place to put a few programs or folders that one wants to access very easily, with one less mouse click than is involved in clicking "All Programs".

In Win8 (with startisback installed), one still sees the context menu choice "Pin to Start Menu". However, clicking on it does not put it on the first menu of startisback. (I assume it pins it to the Metro start screen, which I don't care about.)

Could you add a context menu item throughout Windows Explorer, perhaps entitled "Pin to Startisback Menu", that could pin items to that first menu one sees on pressing the Start button. (Or better yet, rather than adding another context menu choice, change the behavior of the current "Pin to Start Menu", so that it pins to the startisback menu rather than the Metro screen?) (As an option, of course.)

Is that possible? Or is there some way to set that now?

Thanks for the app.

When you select Pin to Start Menu it should pin it to the top of the left hand side of the start menu, exactly like Win7. Right above the most used apps. There have been reports of that not working and if I remember correctly they always fixed it with a reinstall of SiB.

Doesn't work for me. As said, I see Pin to Start Menu in the Win Explorer context menu, but that doesn't add the item to the SIB menu. All I see in the first SIB menu (before clicking "All Programs") are the recently used apps, nothing fixed.

As said, I have version 2.0, which was the most recent one when I downloaded a couple days ago. But I see people referring to 2.1. Is there a 2.1 available now.. Does this feature work better in 2.1?

Also, having just installed it yesterday, I am on the trial, not yet paid. Does that feature only work when the app is paid and acitivated?

Thanks in advance.

I think you should e-mail me and we discuss this problem privately; please provide screenshots.

OK, maybe I'll do the screenshots tomorrow. (It is not on this same computer..)

Not sure why it should be private though, as others might have the same problem, and look for a solution in the forum.

What I see is pretty simple. When I press the Start button, the SIB menu comes out, showing recently used apps, etc. To see all my programs I click on "All Programs"..

However, when I right-click on a file in Windows Explorer, and choose "Pin to Start Menu" , they do not appear on the (SIB) start menu.

I am not sure what aspect of that you would like a screen shot of, and how it might help?

Thank you.

Thanks in advance.

I think you should e-mail me and we discuss this problem privately; please provide screenshots.

Tihiy after a few minutes searching in the net i found that Start8 by Stardock ver. 1.14 beta are designed to works for Windows 8 and support Blue, and i try and it's work now, but i prefer StartIsBack because is realy the original menu from windows 7 in the last 2.0.2 and 2.1 beta and i buy it a licence from you 5 month ago and i know that you are working in this system called for now Blue if you have a beta for this sistem let us know to begin test it to let you know how it's work. :thumbup

Don't know why he didn't put it on the first post. I got version 2.1 from here:

I have no trouble pinning shortcuts and .exe files to Start Menu, and they always work fine. Maybe you should uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

Tihiy after a few minutes searching in the net i found that Start8 by Stardock ver. 1.14 beta are designed to works for Windows 8 and support Blue, and i try and it's work now, but i prefer StartIsBack because is realy the original menu from windows 7 in the last 2.0.2 and 2.1 beta and i buy it a licence from you 5 month ago and i know that you are working in this system called for now Blue if you have a beta for this sistem let us know to begin test it to let you know how it's work. :thumbup

Yes. I tried start8 version 1.14.. hardly compares with SIB

I tried on my laptop startisback 2.1 RC0 W8 blue (sp) but not fully compatible.

I will try and see if my home PC is just like a laptop

Edited by stelian88

Thanks for the link to 2.1.

I very thoroughly uninstalled SIB 2.0. (Using Total Uninstall, first the supplied uninstaller, I had monitored the installation.

Then I installed 2.1

I do see one fixed item on the SIB menu now, at the top, above the recent items, a link to the Metro Start Screen.

However, when I right-click on another program or shortcut and choose "Pin to Start Menu", I still go to the SIB menu, and the pinned item is not there.

I even tried (SIB options) disabling the showing of recent items there, so then all I saw was that Start Screen. Tried pinning other items to the start menu again, and once more they did not show up in the SIB start menu.

Just checked the Metro Start Screen, and the items I pinned were pinned to the Metro Start Screen (although not to the SIB menu).

The computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad X230, running a clean fresh install (just a few days old) of Windows 8 Pro, all the recent updates.

I also noticed that the items I pinned to the Start Menu do appear in the second part of the SIB menu, the menu one sees after clicking "All Programs". I see also (in File Explorer) that shortcuts for the pinned items were added to the folder c:\users\"me"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. (The same place where the shortcuts for the "All Programs" menu is located. But they do not appear in the first main SIB Start Menu screen, where I see on the left only a link to the Metro Start Screen, and recent documents and apps. (In what folder are links pinned to the main screen kept?)

What might be going on? Any settings or registry changes to try?

In case it makes any difference, I have the Quick Launch toolbar enabled in the taskbar. (shouldn't make a difference, but just in case.....)

Thank you.

Don't know why he didn't put it on the first post. I got version 2.1 from here:

I have no trouble pinning shortcuts and .exe files to Start Menu, and they always work fine. Maybe you should uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

Edited by maikii

People keep talking about Windows Blue. Is it also Windows 9?

No. blue is a Windows service pack for Windows 8 will be released this summer.but it is not known yet how this service pack will be called. likely that Windows 8 sp1 or something blue service pack Windows 8

Maikii,

According to your explanation, I'm afraid you have chosen Pin to Start instead of Pin to Start Menu. When I right-click on an item that hasn't been pinned to anywhere, I have Pin to Start and then Pin to Start Menu a few lines below.

Stelian88,

If it's just a service pack then it doesn't have many features different from the current W8, does it?

I'll try this Windows Blue if I have a chance! Thank you for replying.

And have a nice weekend, guys!

Maikii,

According to your explanation, I'm afraid you have chosen Pin to Start instead of Pin to Start Menu. When I right-click on an item that hasn't been pinned to anywhere, I have Pin to Start and then Pin to Start Menu a few lines below.

Stelian88,

If it's just a service pack then it doesn't have many features different from the current W8, does it?

I'll try this Windows Blue if I have a chance! Thank you for replying.

And have a nice weekend, guys!

yes it will be great changes in this service pack Windows 8 blue.

related startisback I was not going to be fully compatible with this service pack. May need to be some changes from what I saw that I tested.

this is my last post because I offended somebody. yeah I think I upset anyone, I just gave some information on w8. that person's GunSmokingMan.

goodbye and I apologize if I offended anyone