Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

European Portuguese is updated??

GSILVAP

You're asking for the third time instead of asking me directly. It's not updated since no one sent me updated file.

Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

Blue is not even suppose to be public. Can we wait until its finished before coming to a conclusion?

Exactly! Commenting on it now is worthless. For all we know that specific build could be some mobile only device experiment. At least wait until after TAP.

Wait, what?. That's what all the fanboys said throughout all the betas. Time to face facts: giving the benefit of the doubt to Nu-Microsoft is a fool's errand. They have a plan, and your Start Menu is not a part of it.

You are all freaking out over nothing. Chill out and get back on topic.

Hey just are the first view and testing but we know that Tihiy will back with a stat menu ready for the Windows Blue, by now the legacy code has been removed and I trust that Tihiy are now working in that because this Win Blue is just a preview and still missing many arrangements in this leaked version, we need to wait and let Tihiy work on it. :rolleyes:

Hey just are the first view and testing but we know that Tihiy will back with a stat menu ready for the Windows Blue, by now the legacy code has been removed and I trust that Tihiy are now working in that because this Win Blue is just a preview and still missing many arrangements in this leaked version, we need to wait and let Tihiy work on it. :rolleyes:

Your entire comment can be shortened to:

we need to wait

Ok, but if you want to know something about this pre release go to this link http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-blue-we-waited-215184 are more, but I have it and I testing this freaking windows blue, but as I said we need to wait and allow Tihiy to work with this new version or Major Release that's expected to arrive around August. :thumbup

Ok, but if you want to know something about this pre release go to this link http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-blue-we-waited-215184 are more, but I have it and I testing this freaking windows blue, but as I said we need to wait and allow Tihiy to work with this new version or Major Release that's expected to arrive around August. :thumbup

I've been running Blue for days. Enough already.

I've been running Blue for days. Enough already.

Me too, but I want to explore everything. :angel

Tihiy,

Is it possible to support two activations on the same install? I have Windows 8 + StartIsBack installed on a partition and activated with the key that I bought. SIB activates fine. I also boot into the same physical partition from another OS using VMware and, of course, this changes the hardware configuration entirely. StartIsBack wants me to reactivate again - that is fine, as one license supports two computers and the activation goes through. What I'm having problems with, however, is that stopping the VM and running Windows directly again like normal requires StartIsBack reactivation again (and then when I activate again, I need to reactivate when running in VMware again and this cycle continues).

I'm not asking for any free keys or anything like that - I already have one and two PCs with one license key is very generous and I'd happily pay again for another key if I needed it - it's just I would like to save myself from having to activate again and again every time I switch between booting in VMware and booting directly. (Yes, this is a weird combination but it's the most convenient way for me to get things done.)

Tihiy,

Is it possible to support two activations on the same install? I have Windows 8 + StartIsBack installed on a partition and activated with the key that I bought. SIB activates fine. I also boot into the same physical partition from another OS using VMware and, of course, this changes the hardware configuration entirely. StartIsBack wants me to reactivate again - that is fine, as one license supports two computers and the activation goes through. What I'm having problems with, however, is that stopping the VM and running Windows directly again like normal requires StartIsBack reactivation again (and then when I activate again, I need to reactivate when running in VMware again and this cycle continues).

I'm not asking for any free keys or anything like that - I already have one and two PCs with one license key is very generous and I'd happily pay again for another key if I needed it - it's just I would like to save myself from having to activate again and again every time I switch between booting in VMware and booting directly. (Yes, this is a weird combination but it's the most convenient way for me to get things done.)

There is demand for this scenario, so I should fix it in the next version. Maybe just make VM use free.

Windows Blue will bring Start Screen sync between PCs =>

Microsoft's Windows Blue update for Windows 8, due out later this year, will add the much needed feature of being able to sync the Start Screen between different PCs. Syncing will also go a step further with tabs for Internet Explorer 11.

The new syncing features were found by Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrot within the leaked Windows Blue build. They note that syncing the Start Screen will be as simple as signing in on two different PCs with the same Microsoft account. Pinned tiles, their individual sizes, and their arrangement on the Start Screen will all seamlessly be transferred with no effort from the user.

The syncing feature for Internet Explorer 11, which is baked into Blue, works similarly to what Apple offers with its Safari browser. Web page tabs that are pulled up within the browser will sync between a user's PCs. There's also the good chance it will extend to Windows Phone Blue as well, but no build has been leaked for the mobile version as of yet for us to test it out.

Other parts of Windows Blue that will sync between PCs are File History, Input Personalization, Explorer Quick Links, App Secondary Tiles, and Tethering. The features were revealed in the internal settings of Blue -- not yet available for use in the leaked build. It's all pretty nifty if you ask us.

So when will you get to try the features on your PC? The substantial update to Windows 8 is expected to be released this autumn. Yesterday, Microsoft confirmed the Blue project is indeed under works at Redmond, but it won't ship by the Blue name to consumers.

We're able to get an early look at features thanks to a build of Blue that was leaked to tinkerers early. Besides syncing, Microsoft has included resizable tiles, app multi-tasking, and more. We're sure there's more to be found.

Reports have noted that Blue's intention is to bring Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 closer together, by including services from each platform. A Blue update is also expected for Windows Phone 8 later this year, with similar refinements.

Blue is rumoured to come at a cheaper price point than past Windows versions, much like Apple did with Mountain Lion and Lion. It should mark the start of yearly updates from Redmond.

Microsoft will more than likely take the wraps off of Blue at the company's Build developer conference being held 26 - 28 June at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. A public preview is slated to be released around the same time frame.

Windows Blue will bring Start Screen sync between PCs =>

Microsoft's Windows Blue update for Windows 8, due out later this year, will add the much needed feature of being able to sync the Start Screen between different PCs. Syncing will also go a step further with tabs for Internet Explorer 11.

The new syncing features were found by Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrot within the leaked Windows Blue build. They note that syncing the Start Screen will be as simple as signing in on two different PCs with the same Microsoft account. Pinned tiles, their individual sizes, and their arrangement on the Start Screen will all seamlessly be transferred with no effort from the user.

The syncing feature for Internet Explorer 11, which is baked into Blue, works similarly to what Apple offers with its Safari browser. Web page tabs that are pulled up within the browser will sync between a user's PCs. There's also the good chance it will extend to Windows Phone Blue as well, but no build has been leaked for the mobile version as of yet for us to test it out.

Other parts of Windows Blue that will sync between PCs are File History, Input Personalization, Explorer Quick Links, App Secondary Tiles, and Tethering. The features were revealed in the internal settings of Blue -- not yet available for use in the leaked build. It's all pretty nifty if you ask us.

So when will you get to try the features on your PC? The substantial update to Windows 8 is expected to be released this autumn. Yesterday, Microsoft confirmed the Blue project is indeed under works at Redmond, but it won't ship by the Blue name to consumers.

We're able to get an early look at features thanks to a build of Blue that was leaked to tinkerers early. Besides syncing, Microsoft has included resizable tiles, app multi-tasking, and more. We're sure there's more to be found.

Reports have noted that Blue's intention is to bring Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 closer together, by including services from each platform. A Blue update is also expected for Windows Phone 8 later this year, with similar refinements.

Blue is rumoured to come at a cheaper price point than past Windows versions, much like Apple did with Mountain Lion and Lion. It should mark the start of yearly updates from Redmond.

Microsoft will more than likely take the wraps off of Blue at the company's Build developer conference being held 26 - 28 June at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. A public preview is slated to be released around the same time frame.

If you can not add to this thread relative information about StartIsBack then I will ban you.

I just installed startisback 2.0 today, and it is cool.

One thing I am missing though, from the Win7 Start Menu.

In Win7, one could right-click on a program or shortcut (or folder, or anything really), and choose "Pin to Start Menu". Once one did that, one would see it in the first start menu that comes up on pressing the Start button, before clicking "All Programs".

Of course one would not want to put most programs there and get that first menu cluttered, but it is a convenient place to put a few programs or folders that one wants to access very easily, with one less mouse click than is involved in clicking "All Programs".

In Win8 (with startisback installed), one still sees the context menu choice "Pin to Start Menu". However, clicking on it does not put it on the first menu of startisback. (I assume it pins it to the Metro start screen, which I don't care about.)

Could you add a context menu item throughout Windows Explorer, perhaps entitled "Pin to Startisback Menu", that could pin items to that first menu one sees on pressing the Start button. (Or better yet, rather than adding another context menu choice, change the behavior of the current "Pin to Start Menu", so that it pins to the startisback menu rather than the Metro screen?) (As an option, of course.)

Is that possible? Or is there some way to set that now?

Thanks for the app.

I just installed startisback 2.0 today, and it is cool.

One thing I am missing though, from the Win7 Start Menu.

In Win7, one could right-click on a program or shortcut (or folder, or anything really), and choose "Pin to Start Menu". Once one did that, one would see it in the first start menu that comes up on pressing the Start button, before clicking "All Programs".

Of course one would not want to put most programs there and get that first menu cluttered, but it is a convenient place to put a few programs or folders that one wants to access very easily, with one less mouse click than is involved in clicking "All Programs".

In Win8 (with startisback installed), one still sees the context menu choice "Pin to Start Menu". However, clicking on it does not put it on the first menu of startisback. (I assume it pins it to the Metro start screen, which I don't care about.)

Could you add a context menu item throughout Windows Explorer, perhaps entitled "Pin to Startisback Menu", that could pin items to that first menu one sees on pressing the Start button. (Or better yet, rather than adding another context menu choice, change the behavior of the current "Pin to Start Menu", so that it pins to the startisback menu rather than the Metro screen?) (As an option, of course.)

Is that possible? Or is there some way to set that now?

Thanks for the app.

When you select Pin to Start Menu it should pin it to the top of the left hand side of the start menu, exactly like Win7. Right above the most used apps. There have been reports of that not working and if I remember correctly they always fixed it with a reinstall of SiB.

I've just installed version 2.1.

- The problem of dragging folders to different positions seems to be fixed. I've tried arranging some folders a few times and they go to the place I want them there. Thanks for this fixing.

- The folders are still below, not above other items on All Programs on XP style. It doesn't matter, however, because I prefer W7 style.

- 'Start screen to Apps screen' feature works as it is stated, but what is this for?

Tihiy,

Can you make the Properties remember the tab I opened last time? I mainly go to Appearance only to change the orb. It's always the first tab active every time I open the Properties.

Thanks in advance.

- The problem of dragging folders to different positions seems to be fixed. I've tried arranging some folders a few times and they go to the place I want them there. Thanks for this fixing.
This problem is kind of random since sometimes Windows 7/8 loses folder update notifications.
- The folders are still below, not above other items on All Programs on XP style. It doesn't matter, however, because I prefer W7 style.
That's right, but subfolders of folders are, like in XP. Although still not 100% like it. Not sure if items should go after folders in main tree.
- 'Start screen to Apps screen' feature works as it is stated, but what is this for?
What's the use for it? There is some.
Can you make the Properties remember the tab I opened last time? I mainly go to Appearance only to change the orb. It's always the first tab active every time I open the Properties.
Maybe. For now, you can launch StartIsBackCfg.exe /appearance.