Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

Blue is not even suppose to be public. Can we wait until its finished before coming to a conclusion?

Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

Blue is not even suppose to be public. Can we wait until its finished before coming to a conclusion?

Exactly! Commenting on it now is worthless. For all we know that specific build could be some mobile only device experiment. At least wait until after TAP.

Hi Tihiy, Thank you for this great application ... I have two small and minor requests just to make things more easyer:

1- When the "automatically check for new version" check box is checked the apply button state change is needed.

2- Adding and deleting styles from configuration window is needed.

Edited by humanangle

Exactly! Commenting on it now is worthless. For all we know that specific build could be some mobile only device experiment. At least wait until after TAP.

Wait, what?. That's what all the fanboys said throughout all the betas. Time to face facts: giving the benefit of the doubt to Nu-Microsoft is a fool's errand. They have a plan, and your Start Menu is not a part of it.

Wait, what?. That's what all the fanboys said throughout all the betas. Time to face facts: giving the benefit of the doubt to Nu-Microsoft is a fool's errand. They have a plan, and your Start Menu is not a part of it.

you're right.

In my opinion, Windows Blue is nothing more than a fully baked and finished Windows 8.

They ran out of time with Windows 8 RTM, and had to push it out to keep the OEM's happy. MS needed at least another 9 months or so to actually finish the OS.

They have now had time to clean up more of the legacy code, and the Start Menu IS legacy code. I'm positive that the final version of Blue, will have no Start Menu code left in it at all.

The only way to continue this project, would be to code a Start Menu replacement that does not rely on this legacy code, or Windows API's. And that could be quite some challenge!

Edited by stimpy88

In my opinion, Windows Blue is nothing more than a fully baked and finished Windows 8.

They ran out of time with Windows 8 RTM, and had to push it out to keep the OEM's happy. MS needed at least another 9 months or so to actually finish the OS.

They have now had time to clean up more of the legacy code, and the Start Menu IS legacy code. I'm positive that the final version of Blue, will have no Start Menu code left in it at all.

The only way to continue this project, would be to code a Start Menu replacement that does not rely on this legacy code, or Windows API's. And that could be quite some challenge!

Exactly, the intention is to completely finish MS Windows 8 and remove the remainder of the code, and force the user to use like it or not this new system.

FWIW, one of the Start Menu alternatives IObit Start Menu 8 1.0.0 works with this pre-release edition of Windows Blue. What that effectively means is that - all is not lost. ;)

Hey dont worry i have testing diferents start menus a few hours, at the moment the only start menú for this Windows build 9364 Versión 6.3.9364 or Windows Blue that are working are: Vistart, Retro UI Pro, Startmenu8, Power 8 and Pokki, just this work fine but Start8, Startw8, ClassicShell, Ex7ForW8 and StartIsBack is not working or not supported, the vision of MS are wrong, when they wake up from sleep it will be late for them.

FWIW, one of the Start Menu alternatives IObit Start Menu 8 1.0.0 works with this pre-release edition of Windows Blue. What that effectively means is that - all is not lost. ;)

Thats righ always theres always hope, just is program a new code and take it easy with this evaluation copy is the first to start programming a new code and test it. :whistle:

Hey dont worry i have testing diferents start menus a few hours, at the moment the only start menú for this Windows build 9364 Versión 6.3.9364 or Windows Blue that are working are: Vistart, Retro UI Pro, Startmenu8, Power 8 and Pokki, just this work fine but Start8, Startw8, ClassicShell, Ex7ForW8 and StartIsBack is not working or not supported, the vision of MS are wrong, when they wake up from sleep it will be late for them.

There's a list of Start Menu/Button replacements in another sticky. It's too much to ask to try every one of them :w00t: , but if you (or anybody else reading this) get the chance, I'd love it if you could report over there on the ones that you find are (or are not) working in Windows Blue.

Thank you very much! (¡Muy agradecido!)

--JorgeA

From StartIsBack FAQ:

"What if Microsoft removes it and breaks StartIsBack?

It's almost impossible since it involves rearchitecting Windows 8 code which Microsoft won't do until major changes to Windows.

Can i use Windows Update without troubles?

Yes, StartIsBack is compatible with all updates for Windows 8. It should be compatible with all Service Packs as well, unless they would bring major rearchitecting of Windows 8.

I have faith in Tihy, that he will cure the cancer that is Metro UI...

Tihy please have a look at the leaked build and let us know what u think ?

Tihy please have a look at the leaked build and let us know what u think ?

I've already told everything - StartIsBack won't work on Blue as is due to all start menu code removed. I don't want to leave users in the dark so I hope there will be a solution.

You are all freaking out over nothing. Chill out and get back on topic.