Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I didn't say it's a "problem WITH norton" - I said that norton may be taking a split second longer to initialise than is needed for that RSS fed wallpaper to connect. Tweaking your start-ups and settings - including norton - is likely to be all that's required.

Try running with a regular, ordinary folder of wallpapers - not an RSS fed active one - REGARDLESS of whether or not you have some of the possible images already stored locally because the whole point of those RSS fed wallpapers is that the pc connects when you use them - to check for new wallpapers and updates. If that works, you will have a fair idea that the problem lies with establishing the internet connection quickly enough.

Put simply - you have a small lag at start-up and you are assuming it's caused by SiB when there's really nothing to suggest that. It may be a slow internet connection or a slow start for your network card, maybe a slow start for norton or any number of other reasons - but there's no logical reason to say that SiB is causing this problem - and live wallpapers are a well-known a pain in the you-know-what.

Just clear one staff:

The wallpaper is totally store in local, I just use a script to download all the wallpapers.

So the dynamic wallpaper function didn't use the RSS feed.

BTW, the small lag is just because I was connecting a external hard disk.

If I remove that, windows will back to 30s boot up speed.

Is it possible to make the animation more win7-like?

That can be fixed by disabling start menu translucency (or animations). :}

This will be fixed in a future version? :o

Edited by Tusticles

Try reinstall Windows 8 three times, got how to fix it, but still don't know how and why this problem happened.

The problem only happened after I install Norton Internet Security (And do fullly upgrade).

If I select wallpaper path through "Library", then this problem will happened.

If I select wallpaper path though absolute path, then it will be okay.

Going to reinstall Windows 8 again, to get everything back to normal... :}

pheraps I fount an issue.

I've selected "Return to last used Environment" as a modern app is closed, but I noticed that recetly it returns to Desktop in any case, even though I open the modern app from the Start screen.

Is it normal?

I think it has started since i installed 2.0.1.

Thanks a lot

I've selected "Return to last used Environment" as a modern app is closed, but I noticed that recetly it returns to Desktop in any case, even though I open the modern app from the Start screen.

There's a regression in 2.0.2 in this matter. It will be fixed in the next version.

There are two issues I'd like to see solved in StartIsBack. First is minor: typed text in the search field should match other text instead of remaining light gray.

Second issue is a bit more difficult. Triggering the problem requires disabling desktop dimming from the UAC prompt. When you start something that requests elevation from the search bar in the start menu with keyboard, the elevation prompt has no focus. And the window that used to have focus previously loses it too. It can be triggered for example by typing "regedit" and simply pressing enter. Or it can be triggered by typing random program, say "calc", and pressing ctrl+shift+enter.

Edited by Case

Had a poke around the Windows Blue aero.msstyles, and Microsoft has removed over 90% of the start menu resources.

Curious as to how this will affect SIB considering as far as I know it still relies on that information by default.

Just to let you know that this (v2.0.2) does not work with Windows Blue, build 9364. It installs, restarts explorer, and does nothing, no start orb, nothing running in the Task Manager.

Classic Shell v3.6.5 also does not work. The .exe and it's service run, but don't actually do anything, other than bypass the Metro Start Screen.

Start8 does not work either. It runs (places a horrible icon on the Taskbar) but does nothing when clicked.

I have tried compatibility mode, and everything I can think of. I'm sorry Tihiy.

Edited by stimpy88

This is a definitely sad news. StartIsBack as is won't work on Windows Blue, due to Start Menu implementation removed from it - almost completely. :(

I'm really sorry, I just don't understand MS's decision on this.

This is a definitely sad news. StartIsBack as is won't work on Windows Blue, due to Start Menu implementation removed from it - almost completely. :(

Implementation from Explorer or the msstyles?