Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I have a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, and am currently trying out multiple start menu restorers before buying one. However, I can't uninstall StartIsBack, no matter what I try. What's a workaround?

Why you can't uninstall it? Reinstall and uninstall again; tell me if it won't help.

Because when you like a software buy it...

After several months of using the pirated version, I bought a license of your software!!

Many congratulations for the great work you're achieving and the pioneer in software functionality.

Greetings

PS.: Sorry for my English

Edited by gsilvap

First of I would like to congratulate you on your epic job creating the start menu so far! :D

I however do have a minor request, and I admit I don't know if it has been requested before, but would it be possible to install windows updates on shutdown/reboot?

Currently StartIsBack completely ignores the windows update, whilst I can use the charms bar to achieve the desired effect, I would much prefer it to be able from my normal start menu...

Perhaps make it toggle-able via the configuration menu, so that users that do not wish for the above feature would not have to use it?

I however do have a minor request, and I admit I don't know if it has been requested before, but would it be possible to install windows updates on shutdown/reboot?

That would be great, although I think Windows 8 is to blame for that behaviour. It seems to require a reboot for immediately installing updates. A shutdown will not work (updates will be forced some days later).

Also, an older request: have the Win key behave as default in the Start Screen, meaning having to just press Win to get back to the Desktop instead of say, Win+Alt. Currently, pressing Win takes you to the desktop but also opens the start menu.

Edited by Amigafever

Hi

I just got an HP laptop with windows 8 installed and I immediately wanted to go back to booting straight to desktop and having a start menu, so I found startisback and downloaded it.

I was coming here to complain that the part of "boot straight to desktop" wasn't working when I google searched and found that the problem was I had to disable login, which I was able to do with this article.

So it turns out I have nothing to complain about :)

Thanks for the great program. If things are still going great in 30 days, I'll be buying a license for it.

Because when you like a software buy it...

After several months of using the pirated version, I bought a license of your software!!

Many congratulations for the great work you're achieving and the pioneer in software functionality.

Greetings

PS.: Sorry for my English

While this is a unique post, overall I give you kudos for admitting it and since in the end it led to you buying the software, it's a good thing!

Hi

I just got an HP laptop with windows 8 installed and I immediately wanted to go back to booting straight to desktop and having a start menu, so I found startisback and downloaded it.

I was coming here to complain that the part of "boot straight to desktop" wasn't working when I google searched and found that the problem was I had to disable login, which I was able to do with .

So it turns out I have nothing to complain about :)

Thanks for the great program. If things are still going great in 30 days, I'll be buying a license for it.

Have you tried re-enabling autologin after this? I use autologin for all my PCs on Windows 8 with SiB without a problem. Glad you got it sorted, though.

Version 2.0 Release Candidate

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

NOTE: if you update from 2.0 beta, Start Apps pinned to Start menu will turn into pumpkin dummy shortcuts. You have to un-pin and pin them again. Do not downgrade to 2.0 beta.

This release is (should be) awesome. New skin and orb are the results of hard work of PainteR. Appearance screen got pretty makeover.

New:

- New Skin

- New Start Orb

- Revamped Appearance config screen

- Alternate start menu skins and high contrast themes use different flyout menu style

- Option to disable taskbar translucency works for secondary taskbars

- Option to disable StartIsBack for current user

- Option to hide Start button

- Some useful Windows settings in Advanced section

- StartIsBack is disabled in Safe Mode

Fixes:

- Start Apps folder slowing down All Programs

- Start Apps folder not refreshing after app install / remove

- Start Apps folder not displaying icons in high DPI

- Start Apps folder not displaying some apps

- Incorrect orb hover animation alpha-blending

P.S. Translators will receive translation text later.

This release is functionally complete; Some improvements under the hood are planned for 2.0 release.

Edited by Tihiy

Very good job!!

One small problem:

So I opened the start menu had pinned a program called Start Apps, but after the installation of 2RC no longer have ... As I return to the Start Apps on there?

Thank you.

Very good job!!

One small problem:

So I opened the start menu had pinned a program called Start Apps, but after the installation of 2RC no longer have ... As I return to the Start Apps on there?

Thank you.

I have unistall and reinstall and it solve the problem!!!

Continue the good work!!!