Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

The language-packs seem to be not working in settings in v2.0 Beta 1. Is that by design?

Win8 32-bit Enterprise Ru, All-users installation, registered.

Edited by vit9696

The language-packs seem to be not working in settings in v2.0 Beta 1. Is that by design?

Yes, translation is turned off in settings by design, to not confuse users with half-translated UI.

Apologies is this has been covered already - I did search but couldn't spot it...

Do I need to uninstall StartisBack in order to test the V2 Beta or is it possible to temporarily disable each one so I can try both side-by-side, as it were?

Do I need to uninstall StartisBack in order to test the V2 Beta or is it possible to temporarily disable each one so I can try both side-by-side, as it were?

You don't need to reinstall when upgrading StartIsBack. If you want to downgrade 2.0 to 1.3.3, you should uninstall 2.0 first. It's not possible to run both side-by-side. Edited by Tihiy

Thanks Tihiy.

I've been trying 1.3 for the past few days having previously tried Classic Shell and Stardock's start menues for about a week each. Have to say that unles anything seriously odd turns up out of the blue, StartisBack is bar far the best of the bunch. It's smooth - genuinely feels like a part of Windows rather than an add-on and what it does, it does perfectly. Classic Shell is a let down because it inflicts the full pop-out menus - no option to have them replace in situ on the "programs" menu. Start8 does that but the "boot to desktop" feature is clunky and it doesn't handle "pinning" correctly. StartIsBack is the most complete recreation of the original start menu and what extras it adds on top of that are well thought out rather than just bunging in new features for the sake of it. The control it offers over Metro is excellent - that's now almost useable for a "desktop jockey" like me.

Having now installed the V2 beta and played around with that for a few hours - I'm surprised at how complete it feels already. I understand that it is not fully finished but it's actually difficult to see what more is required - it's already stable, looks great and the new features are simple and self-explanatory.

One stand-out feature amongst so many good ones - the simple idea of bunging the "Win+X" menu on the start button's right-click is brilliant - I wouldn't have even thought of that but it's exactly the right thing to do.

I'll give it a few more days with 1.3 - just to be as fair as possible in the comparisons - but I suspect I'll be registering my copy :)

Thank you.

anyone was make autoit script for this starisback? please upload your scripts,,thanks :)

I have pack it with winrar and make it as exe.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=install.bat

TempMode

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

And my install.bat looks like this

cmdow @ /HID

cls

@echo off

start /wait Startisback.exe /silent

shutdown -r -t 0

i have a request....i know that is something maybe off the actual program but...

can you provide a option to make Metro programs be in a window instead of fullscreen? RetroUI have done it, maybe you could to?

i have a request....i know that is something maybe off the actual program but...

can you provide a option to make Metro programs be in a window instead of fullscreen? RetroUI have done it, maybe you could to?

That would be cool!

2.0 alphas could do it, but there's too much work to make this work decent. RetroUI does not do it even half-decently. Maybe SIB 3.0 could do it. :rolleyes: