Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I've run into a bug where Start Is Back is not showing all the pinned items in the start menu. Even if I do a "remove from list" on all the auto added items I end up with most of the pinned items missing.

If I manually re-add the missing items, they have a (2) after them showing they are a duplicate.

Looking in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

I see all the pinned links are there, but they are not working.

This is on Windows 8 x64. It's running on laptop that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

All the links that don't work were created under Windows 7, and Windows 8 left them alone during migration.

I checked the security permissions on an old link (which does not show up) vs a new link (which shows up), and they are the same.

I am a freelance translator in Taiwan, I can translate it into Chinese (Traditional)

Tell me if anyone is already working on it, if not, it'd be a pleasure for me to do the translation.(May I get an additional license?, just for my girlfriend)

Please write to support email (http://www.startisback.com/#support-tab) and i'll have you in mind when time to translate 2.0 comes.

Looking in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

I see all the pinned links are there, but they are not working.

This been mentioned earlier - just delete all those shortcuts from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

Next, pin your shortcuts afresh - they will no longer be followed with a (2) :)

Not for me.... :)

Here's a comparision between StartIsBack 2.0 preview and Windows 7:

searchcolour.png

Notice how StartIsBack's search text colour is lighter. This is even more noticeable in my high contrast mode (though the colour was originally pointed out to me by somebody else).

Not for me.... :)

Here's a comparision between StartIsBack 2.0 preview and Windows 7:

Notice how StartIsBack's search text colour is lighter. This is even more noticeable in my high contrast mode (though the colour was originally pointed out to me by somebody else).

People keep saying that Win7 is also grey yet....none of my Win7 machines are grey. No clue what they are talking about. SiB text color is the same as the default text color that says "Search programs and files". Win7 is not and has never been like that. But if it's a pain to change then forget it. Not a big deal.

StartIsBack 2.0 BETA 1 "THE ONE TO RULE THEM ALL"

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupBETA.exe

NOTE: if you've used beta 0, it's recommended to uninstall it with 'Remove settings and license data' checked.

Version 2.0 beta 1 represents significant and massive release. It also contains a lot of fixes for longstanding issues. It should be stable but it's not yet visually or feature complete.

New:

- Option to enable Start Screen hot corner on desktop

- Configure bottom-left hot corner function

- Configure Modern app closing function

- Advanced Win hotkeys configuration options

Changes over beta 0:

- Modern apps are not in MFU program list by default; Modern app settings are redone and added into Start Menu settings tree.

Fixes:

- Shortcuts for games with dot in name could be created incorrectly

- Longstanding: uninstall could fail to remove installation directory

- Longstanding: windows key could fail to show start menu on some systems

- Longstanding: search could be slow to update search results and icons

- Longstanding: switching users could squish start menu

- Various beta 0 bug fixes

Edited by Tihiy

A note about 2.0 philosophy. As you should know, StartIsBack is not like others menu replacement programs.

StartIsBack offers experience which is as close as possible to default Windows 7 one.

20beta1.png

Yet 2.0 provides a lot of ways to configure Windows experience. By default, the most non-breaking and non-confusing options are provided.

There could be too many options; some were shaved by Occam's razor already. I need your feedback about wording and whole options overall.

Interesting and unique possibilities with 2.0:

- Launch Modern apps within Start menu. By default, they are displayed in All Programs 'Start Apps' folder (you can rename it). They're not visible in recently used list by default.

- Less Start Screen in-your-face. You can configure Desktop to appear when your modern app closes (crashes, snapped) or when you click in bottom-left corner. By default, desktop will show if you used it last.

- Disable Windows hotkey (may appeal to gamers).

- Use Windows XP style multi-column All Programs flyout (may appeal to xpclient).

- Make Ctrl-Win change Windows key mode so you can change swtiching models (Start screen / Start menu) at the press of a key.

I'm open to your feedback. Visual improvements will come in next version(s) so don't whine yet.

Edited by Tihiy

Thanks for the update, particularly adding bottom-left configurability in the UI (those who haven't been using the right-click menu down there don't know what they're missing).

I haven't revisited SIB since reporting this issue. Would you happen to know if enabling that feature can still cause application issues?

Incredible update. No Windows 8 installation should be without SiB. :thumbup

Icon loading is much, much faster (there is still a tiny delay, but it's milliseconds and practically unnoticeable) and the blank icons are gone. Thanks.

Edited by Amigafever

Thanks for the update, particularly adding bottom-left configurability in the UI (those who haven't been using the right-click menu down there don't know what they're missing).

I haven't revisited SIB since reporting this issue. Would you happen to know if enabling that feature can still cause application issues?

The right-click bottom-left menu can be assigned to Start button since v1.2.

I did not reproduce Outlook issue and there was no additional fixes for it.