Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

3. When I pin Google Chrome to the StartIsBack menu, it appears as "Google Chrome (2)", instead of just "Google Chrome"

Try pinning The Google Chrome shortcut after deleting it first from the following directory:-

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

Thanks. That worked. I notice there are a whole bunch of other apps in that folder (perhaps a left over from trying other start menu replacements).

Shall I just delete the lot and start over?

Any ideas about why I can't pin microsoft office applications?

Glad you got that working!!! :)

I don't know if by Microsoft Applications, you mean Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., etc. - they are working for me. One little tip, any shortcut that usually fails can yet be dragged-and-dropped directly into the Start Orb - hope it works this way for you, too. ;)

I don't know if by Microsoft Applications, you mean Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., etc. - they are working for me. One little tip, any shortcut that usually fails can yet be dragged-and-dropped directly into the Start Orb - hope it works this way for you, too. ;)

Yes, I am referring to MS Office applications. I don't get a context menu "pin to start menu" item for any application in MS Office folder. I have just tried your drag to start orb method and it works. Thanks. However, its the sort of solution that I am sure to forget if I don't use it for a while, so it would be great if someone could try to help identify why I don't get the context item pin to start menu for these apps. I do get pin/unpin to start options for MS Office applications within the all apps windows 8 screen.

3. When I pin Google Chrome to the StartIsBack menu, it appears as "Google Chrome (2)", instead of just "Google Chrome"

Try pinning The Google Chrome shortcut after deleting it first from the following directory:-

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

Thanks. That worked. I notice there are a whole bunch of other apps in that folder (perhaps a left over from trying other start menu replacements).

Shall I just delete the lot and start over?

Yes, that's a bug - I do purge them, without any issues. ;)

I do get pin/unpin to start options for MS Office applications within the all apps windows 8 screen.

Same here - the pin/unpin options appear only within the Start Menu!!! :yes:

Same here - the pin/unpin options appear only within the Start Menu!!! :yes:

Just to clarify. Did you mean start screen rather than start menu?

I can pin MS office applications to StartIsBack start menu via context menu from within the program files office folder in Explorer (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14)

I can pin MS office applications to StartIsBack menu by dragging onto start orb.

I can pin MS office applications to Windows 8 start screen via app bar in Windows 8 All apps screen.

But, I can't pin MS Office applications via context menu from within the MS Office folder in the StartIsBack All programs list.

So perhaps a StartIsBack bug rather than a general Windows / MS Office issue?

Just to clarify. Did you mean start screen rather than start menu?

Nope, I meant Start Menu (check out the following screenshot):-

33wl0g8.jpg

I can pin MS office applications to StartIsBack start menu via context menu from within the program files office folder in Explorer (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14)

Same here - only difference is I'm on the x64-bit iteration of Microsoft Office 2013 (it runs from a different directory):-

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

I can pin MS office applications to StartIsBack menu by dragging onto start orb.

I can pin MS office applications to Windows 8 start screen via app bar in Windows 8 All apps screen.

But, I can't pin MS Office applications via context menu from within the MS Office folder in the StartIsBack All programs list.

Yep ditto.

So perhaps a StartIsBack bug rather than a general Windows / MS Office issue?

You've got a point there - I'm not sure, though. :think:

Just realised that when I do what I think you did (use the search box to get to an office app within Start Menu), I can use the context menu to Pin to start menu:

post-369792-0-16707800-1356193303_thumb.

It is only when I manually browse via the All programs list in the start menu that the context menu item does not appear. Several other context menu items are also absent:

post-369792-0-89363900-1356192759_thumb.

Suggestion:

At the moment, StartIsBack takes over the Windows key everywhere.

I think it would be better if it only took over the Windows key when you are in the desktop.

When you are in Metro, the Windows key should behave as designed by Microsoft (that is, when in Metro start screen, the Windows key should bring you back to your previous app. When you are in a metro app, the start key should bring you to the metro start screen).

Or at least there should be an option for this behaviour.

Just realised that when I do what I think you did (use the search box to get to an office app within Start Menu), I can use the context menu to Pin to start menu:

post-369792-0-16707800-1356193303_thumb.

It is only when I manually browse via the All programs list in the start menu that the context menu item does not appear. Several other context menu items are also absent:

post-369792-0-89363900-1356192759_thumb.

Those are funky special shortcuts. Right click them and go to properties and you'll see what I mean. Those can't be pinned. The other method you found should be fine.

Those are funky special shortcuts. Right click them and go to properties and you'll see what I mean. Those can't be pinned. The other method you found should be fine.

Don't really know what you mean by funky special shortcuts

Edited by ozaz

Don't really know what you mean by funky special shortcuts

Did you look at their properties? The target doesn't point to a file and it's greyed out. It's not a normal shortcut.

Did you look at their properties? The target doesn't point to a file and it's greyed out. It's not a normal shortcut.

Ah, I see. But the shortcuts are the same (target does no to point to file) regardless of whether I search for them via the search box or browse to them via All programs. Yet the context menus are different. Doesn't this suggest that it is not simply the short-cut characteristic that is the problem? Also, have just tried on a Windows 7 PC and the app shortcuts in All Programs/Microsoft Office also lack absolute targets. Yet within the Windows 7 native start menu, the context menu for these app shortcuts do possess a pin to start menu item.

Edited by ozaz

Ah, I see. But the shortcuts are the same (target does no to point to file) regardless of whether I search for them via the search box or browse to them via All programs. Yet the context menus are different. Doesn't this suggest that it is not simply the short-cut characteristic that is the problem? Also, have just tried on a Windows 7 PC and the app shortcuts in All Programs/Microsoft Office also lack absolute targets. Yet within the Windows 7 native start menu, the context menu for these app shortcuts do possess a pin to start menu item.

Yup, I brought all this up a long time ago before the app was first released. It's a known issue.

Shortcuts with Target greyed out are completely normal - that's the standard shortcut type that Windows Installer creates.

Greyed out might be normal, however, not pointing to a target is not normal. Thus the start menu issue.