Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Hello, sorry for spam, this is not directly StartIsBack related, but someone could be interested in it.

Would somebody be interested in the development of the small utility which returns transparent titlebars in Win8? This is not regular Aero Glass but the utility (currently slow and buggy) which replaces windows titlebars with transparent images.

post-360084-0-13303000-1355072951_thumb.

Edited by bigmuscle

On a QuadCore i7, (x64-bit) all my Start Menu icons went missing - this is the first time, this has been observed:-

117wfwz.jpg

i also often have this problem

Right-clicking the start menu and clicking OK solves the problem

Would somebody be interested in the development of the small utility which returns transparent titlebars in Win8? This is not regular Aero Glass but the utility (currently slow and buggy) which replaces windows titlebars with transparent images.

you can start a new topic here in the Win8 section. Is it based on the old tool "TrueTransparency"?

I will start it, just wanted to know whether someone is really interested in it... no it is not based on any tool, it is completely new (and very small) utility (let's say something like WindowBlinds but intended for window titles only).

Hello,

First sorry for my bad english

I tested startisback and I find it very good.

However I have proposed improvements to make it perfect.

Before I try startisback i tried start8 and this tools allowed to open an application from Metro ui shortcut within the start menu.

Is this an update is possible with this improvement? it would be great

++

Hello,

First sorry for my bad english

I tested startisback and I find it very good.

However I have proposed improvements to make it perfect.

Before I try startisback i tried start8 and this tools allowed to open an application from Metro ui shortcut within the start menu.

Is this an update is possible with this improvement? it would be great

++

After a bit of searching I found this program to give you shortcuts for all the default apps for Windows 8 http://pasquiindustry.altervista.org/download-metroapp-link-2-0-disponibile-per-il-download/ it wont give you shortcuts for any of the new apps you install, to use these in the start menu you can just pin them after you make them or just add the new shortcuts to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and they will appear at the top of the all programs list.

Edit: Sorry after a bit of testing I found out that most of the created shortcuts don't work, the only ones that worked were Store, Travel, Messaging and People, the developer also included a readme that explains about some of the other shortcuts having problems, looks like these shortcuts may also change after updates so they would need to be continually updated.

Edit: tested Start8 again and it does appear they found a way to launch all installed apps from the modern UI applications folder and they also allow you to pin those to their start menu, maybe Tihiy will find a way to do this with SiB but I don't think there is much advantage in doing it that way, at the moment with Sib it requires 2 clicks to open the modern application, middle click the start button and click on the app, where as with Start8 you have to open the start menu, open all programs, then open the modern applications folder then click on the application, I think it's best to keep the desktop start menu for desktop applications and keep the modern UI separate.

Edited by MrGRiM

From what I have seen, Classic Shell adds all the standard "Metro" apps to their start menu in a separate list "Apps" and the desktop apps are under "Programs". Seems like an easy way to keep them separate yet easily available -- Open the start menu, click Apps, click the app you want. It worked for me today when I was cleaning up my neighbor's new laptop that came with Win 8 installed. It was the first time I've actually been forced to mess with Win 8 on actual hardware.

Cheers and Regards

On Win8 X64-bit When doing a Silent Install of StartIsBack (either v.1.1 and 1.2) System Crashes to a blue Screen and locks down then I need to do a force restart..

Some driver is crashing due to explorer restarting. To work this around, add taskkill /F /IM explorer* to your script.
Start Is Back broke the highlighting function when there is a new installed program.
Well, it never was working. It will be fixed or removed from new version. Edited by Tihiy

On Win8 X64-bit When doing a Silent Install of StartIsBack (either v.1.1 and 1.2) System Crashes to a blue Screen and locks down then I need to do a force restart..

Some driver is crashing due to explorer restarting. To work this around, add taskkill /F /IM explorer* to your script.

Tihiy, thanks for the suggestion but your only half right..If you kill the explorer process as you suggested

your program still Bsod's out. You Have to restart explorer.exe or else you just get stuck in a endless looping

Blue Screen. See my now Working script below which will also work in a sfx.exe package for integrating into Windows 8.

btw why did you delete my original post?