Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Interesting thing to note, Start8 steals features from StartIsBack:

When disable all hot corners is disabled you can now select icons etc on the top 4 pixels

New UI option to hide Windows 8 Modern UI applications from the Windows 7 start menu

New UI option to use ctrl + winkey as an alternative for right winkey

New UI option to use shift + winkey as an alternative for right winkey

One undocumented thing is a middle button click on the start button should open the Win8 menu

Do you think you have a legal case against them? It is exactly the same changes you made.

I know you directly addressed Tihiy, but I'm going to respond anyway. :) Hope you don't mind.

What shortcut is necessary for StartIsBack? Once installed it runs automatically. Configuring StartIsBack is just like configuring the Windows 7 Start Menu, right click either on the Orb or the Start Menu itself and choose Properties.

Thank you for the answer! I didn't know where to access StartisBack. That is why I went to C drive. If there is no information where SiB can be accessed, it would be nice if an information is given at first installation.

The configuration program might not be 64-bit but StartIsBack itself has both 32 and 64-bit DLLs for the appropriate system. It is the DLLs which actually make StartIsBack work. Personally, I don't think there's reason enough to make a 64-bit version of the configuration program. It's a tiny program and certainly doesn't make use of more than 4GB of RAM. Unless someone can think of reasons which are more than aesthetic...?

Agreed!

Although it's confusing, Microsoft is who calls it "Modern UI" (previously known as Metro). It's already confusing enough without adding any more aliases for what it's called. :D

Microsoft is really confused in almost everything these days. :no:

Tihiy (and anyone else) who kills Metro completely will then experience problems with some portions of the Desktop UI, which use parts of Metro to display, for instance, Wireless Networks, new drive detected interface (AutoRun) and other elements. This was one of the problems Tihiy fixed to the best of his ability in Ex7ForW8. SiB couldn't remain as elegant and direct as it is right now if Metro would actually be disabled. He'd then have to re-implement the "toast notifcations" just as he did in Ex7ForW8.

If he chooses to implement that possibility at some point or even soon, that's his choice and as long as the user can decide whether or not to turn Metro completely off or not, I don't think anyone would have any serious problem with it, but I doubt if that's a high priority on his to-do list.

I haven't seen any issue with Ex7forW8 by disabling Metro UI. Actually I got peace. :thumbup So it would be nice to give that option for the users really. It would be nice to give advice on what will happen, like kind of warning with a message of things that could happen.

Edited by wondim

Thank you for the answer! I didn't know where to access StartisBack. That is why I went to C drive. If there is no information where SiB can be accessed, it would be nice if an information is given at first installation.

I can understand that. If the configuration program only configured the Start Menu itself, like the original Start Menu Properties, then I wouldn't bother. Some people never know that you can configure/do other things with right-clicks. Quite often when I instruct someone I'm helping to right-click on something, they look at me like I'm crazy - they didn't know the right mouse button actually serves a purpose.

I haven't seen any issue with Ex7forW8 by disabling Metro UI. Actually I got peace. :thumbup So it would be nice to give that option for the users really. It would be nice to give advice on what will happen, like kind of warning with a message of things that could happen.

When he first started developing Ex7ForW8, it became readily apparent that certain things were missing (wireless networks, other similar looking such notifications). He carefully added back in just those items that he had to so people wouldn't be missing things - which Metro previously handled. It was well done, which is why you don't have any issue, but is a little less elegant than this "keep it simple" solution. It won't surprise me if he considers doing this sometime in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath - it might be a while.

At least for now you can disable all hot corners and never have to see it if that's what you choose.

It *IS* given at first installation and as well in FAQ. I may add a control panel item or start menu shortcut as well, but i hope it's not necessary.
Do you think you have a legal case against them?
I don't think so, unfortunately. :no:

Do you think you have a legal case against them?
I don't think so, unfortunately. :no:

Grumble. :)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

but I think I like

Imitation May Be A Sincere Form Of Flattery, But It’s A Loser’s Strategy

in this case.

It's Microsoft's (and Apple's) method: if you can't do it yourself better, copy your competition.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

It *IS* given at first installation and as well in FAQ. I may add a control panel item or start menu shortcut as well, but i hope it's not necessary.

Not necessary at all

Edited by itoy

Automatically check for new versions doesn't seem to be doing anything
It checks only once per day and only in configuration tool.

Oh ok, it only checks once per day. I must have never hit that point???? Is it hardcoded? When does it check?

Edited by ISOHaven

Oh ok, it only checks once per day. I must have never hit that point???? Is it hardcoded? When does it check?

Only when you run configurator. I may introduce checking in explorer as well, but i don't like obtrusive notifications (nobody does). Do you have an idea how to notify about new version if configurator is not running?

Only when you run configurator. I may introduce checking in explorer as well, but i don't like obtrusive notifications (nobody does). Do you have an idea how to notify about new version if configurator is not running?

You mean it runs right away when you run the configurator but only once a day? In that case, something is broken. I got back into work this morning and as you can see from the screenshot....I'm not seeing where it's telling me there's a new version....

untitled.png

Am I missing something?

You mean it runs right away when you run the configurator but only once a day? In that case, something is broken. I got back into work this morning and as you can see from the screenshot....I'm not seeing where it's telling me there's a new version..
Try to delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\StartIsBack - UpdateDate. Also note that in 1.0 and 1.1RC update check works only with direct connection.

You mean it runs right away when you run the configurator but only once a day? In that case, something is broken. I got back into work this morning and as you can see from the screenshot....I'm not seeing where it's telling me there's a new version..
Try to delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\StartIsBack - UpdateDate. Also note that in 1.0 and 1.1RC update check works only with direct connection.

Deleting the key worked. I'll have to remember that on test machines where I'm going back and forth. Once that key is updated regardless of version, an uninstall doesn't remove that key.

Thanks!

no matter how to notify,I do not like any more extra services and processes running