Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

- All updates are installed; EDIT: Actually, I don't have two big updates installed, both around 150mb. Does this matter, should I install them and check again?

I know Tihiy already mentioned this, but I wanted to add that yes, you should install these. These are a huge pre-service pack rollup, essentially which fixes some major things in Windows 8. I haven't had any problems installing them, especially through Windows/Microsoft Update. Some PCs need a third hotfix installed first (if installing offline - not through Windows Update) otherwise the first two (major) updates won't install. Edit: Through Windows Update, the third hotfix was probably already installed first, and would be automatically for those with Automatic Update completely on.

I also noticed that with taskbar set to auto-hide, it won't unhide if I move my mouse to the lower left corner until I click - but this is not really important.

I believe you but I can't reproduce this.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I only have one Win key. So, if I go to Start, press Shut Down and then I turn on the computer, everything is fine. Now, if I go to Start->Reboot, then Win button will start opening Start screen. I don't have to toggle on and off the Apps option, I just need to change it to opposite and press apply (if it was checked, I un-check it and press apply, if it was unchecked, I check it and press apply), and Win button will start working normally again.

This sounds abnormal, yet I can't reproduce that. If you hit Ctr-Esc, do you get the start menu pop up in this case?

Following on from your report, could such behavior be caused by:

- some software running alongside that makes use of Win key?

- the fact that windows explorer needs time to first load necessary libraries on startup for startisback's hotkeys to work?

-----------------------------------

Add Only "Win" to hotkey Start Screen!

I would second this, if not user-defined input then the following keys would be good:

1. Start screen hotkey

- LWin/Ctr-Esc

- RWin

- LWin+Shift

- LWin+Ctr

- LWin+Alt

2. Start Menu hotkey

- LWin/Ctr-Esc

- RWin

- LWin+Shift

- LWin+Ctr

- LWin+Alt

I'd prefer to choose LWin for the Metro and RWin for the Start menu.

@Tihiy

I did a fresh install in VMWare, then I installed all updates and then StartIsBack. I don't have this bug anymore. But, I noticed other bug, and since there is nothing on the system that could interfere, I'm pretty sure it's a bug. When I installed StartIsBack, Start Menu list is empty, until I start some program, and it appears as often used. But, StartIsBack is not picking Internet Explorer at all. No matter how many time I started it, it wasn't added to a Start Menu list.

@Tihiy

I did a fresh install in VMWare, then I installed all updates and then StartIsBack. I don't have this bug anymore. But, I noticed other bug, and since there is nothing on the system that could interfere, I'm pretty sure it's a bug. When I installed StartIsBack, Start Menu list is empty, until I start some program, and it appears as often used. But, StartIsBack is not picking Internet Explorer at all. No matter how many time I started it, it wasn't added to a Start Menu list.

I can verify that on both my desktop and my laptop that IE hasn't appeared in the Start Menu at all. On the laptop is a few days' old user account but definitely has used IE some, and the recent programs list isn't fully populated yet so I know IE wasn't just bumped off the bottom (I have it set to 17!). On my desktop there are programs that I've launched more recently, but only once ever whereas IE I have definitely launched at least one or two handfuls of times. v1.1RC is installed on both PCs.

I've never noticed about IE never appearing, and I'm not really concerned about it myself. I keep it pinned to the taskbar for use every great once in a while.

Edit: @Tihiy, I forget if I've mentioned this; I kinda suspect I hadn't before because I knew the first priority of SiB was to recreate the Windows 7 Start Menu experience. Now that you have 99.9% and gone beyond that too some in other directions, I was wondering if you would consider a checkbox to reverse the order of recent/most used programs. For mouse-jockeys like me (for everyday user stuff) I always thought it was stupid that the most used program was at the top of the list, farthest away from the start button.

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I suspect I know why IE isn't in the recent list.

This start menu cannot start Metro apps and even though IE has a desktop view it was originally designed to be a Metro app as well.

Strangely enough, now when I open it from Start Screen it still switches to the desktop but I remember originally starting in Metro view.

I can verify that on my laptop that IE has appeared in my Start Menu and the recent programs is fully populated.

I just had to remove some other prog from my long list populated on my Start Menu.

Its now moved up into view.

You can also drag and drop the lower ones up into the top of the Menu.

Edited by UTC

Strangely enough, now when I open it from Start Screen it still switches to the desktop but I remember originally starting in Metro view.

I think I read, and maybe it's true of any Metro-supported browser, that IE and Chrome have to be made the default browser to work in Metro. Meaning if you have another browser set as default like Firefox or Chrome, then you won't be able to open IE in Metro, only in Desktop.

I can verify that on my laptop that IE has appeared in my Start Menu and the recent programs is fully populated.

I just had to remove some other prog from my long list populated on my Start Menu.

Its now moved up into view.

You can also drag and drop the lower ones up into the top of the Menu.

But it still seems like something's a little funky - again, not that I'm worried about it, but why do programs appear higher on the list that I've run only once and not as recently as IE, which I've run at least two dozen times and still do every once in a while.

But it still seems like something's a little funky - again, not that I'm worried about it, but why do programs appear higher on the list that I've run only once and not as recently as IE, which I've run at least two dozen times and still do every once in a while.

Mine are fixed. Not shifting due to amount of usage. Whatever i want on Top , i drag there and stay there.

@Tihiy

I can verify that on both my desktop and my laptop that IE hasn't appeared in the Start Menu at all. On the laptop is a few days' old user account but definitely has used IE some, and the recent programs list isn't fully populated yet so I know IE wasn't just bumped off the bottom (I have it set to 17!). On my desktop there are programs that I've launched more recently, but only once ever whereas IE I have definitely launched at least one or two handfuls of times. v1.1RC is installed on both PCs.

I haven't actually used the internet with Windows 8 yet, but I am under the impression that there are 2 implementations of IE in Windows 8. One that runs as a Modern Style app, and one that runs as a Desktop Style app. If this is the case, if you are running the Modern IE, it wouldn't show up as a recently used program. You guys probably have more experience in the day to day workings of Windows 8 than me by now. :whistle:

I haven't actually used the internet with Windows 8 yet, but I am under the impression that there are 2 implementations of IE in Windows 8. One that runs as a Modern Style app, and one that runs as a Desktop Style app. If this is the case, if you are running the Modern IE, it wouldn't show up as a recently used program. You guys probably have more experience in the day to day workings of Windows 8 than me by now. :whistle:

I actually haven't even tried (except by accident sometime in the past) the Metro version of any web browser.