Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I just discovered when this happens for me. It only happens when I use reboot. When I shutdown and start computer everything is fine, but if I use reboot in Start menu, then Win button starts opening Start screen. I fix this behaviour by toggling the option "Rename Start Screen to Apps and keep only modern apps there". But on next reboot, it happens again. Can somebody try to reproduce this?

Unable to reproduce so far.

I just tried your instructions with the v1.1RC version, and after a reboot, the Windows key still showed the Start Menu, not the Start Screen. Any more details? Do you have just one Windows key or two (left and right)? If I understand your description correctly, you normally already have the option to have the Start Screen only show Apps, and you have to toggle it off and back on after this happens, is that right? That's what I assumed for my trying to reproduce, I just wanted to make sure i understand correctly.

Try creating a new temporary user account and testing the behavior there. Does it still happen?

I only have one Win key. So, if I go to Start, press Shut Down and then I turn on the computer, everything is fine. Now, if I go to Start->Reboot, then Win button will start opening Start screen. I don't have to toggle on and off the Apps option, I just need to change it to opposite and press apply (if it was checked, I un-check it and press apply, if it was unchecked, I check it and press apply), and Win button will start working normally again.

mara-, tell me more about this phantom bug:

- Is it in 1.1 or 1.0 too?

- Does pressing Win key trigger new Start screen only or Start menu too?

- Did you install all available Windows updates?

- Are you sure your Ctrl key is not stuck? Try disabling start screen keyboard shortcut.

mara-, tell me more about this phantom bug:

- Is it in 1.1 or 1.0 too?

- Does pressing Win key trigger new Start screen only or Start menu too?

- Did you install all available Windows updates?

- Are you sure your Ctrl key is not stuck? Try disabling start screen keyboard shortcut.

- I noticed it on both version, but didn't figure until now what triggers it.

- All updates are installed; EDIT: Actually, I don't have two big updates installed, both around 150mb. Does this matter, should I install them and check again?

- Ctrl is not stuck. Tried to disable it, same problem again.

I don't know if this is important, but I'm actually running Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center in VMWare, since I'm still checking out Windows 8.

Edited by mara-

Tihiy, I think I noticed a bug. When searching in the start menu for games that appear in game center, it finds no results. However, they appear in the most-used applications list. Could you please add games to the search paths?

Thanks,

Leo

Edited by Leo Natan

I have a small problem with StartIsBack: the text seems to be set to some very dark grey colour, which makes it nearly invisible in high contrast colour scheme:

startisback-highcontrast.png

Additionally, all submenus have white background and no visible selection indicator. Is this something that can be fixed?

I tried changing the Start menu translucency, but it doesn't have any effect.

I also noticed that with taskbar set to auto-hide, it won't unhide if I move my mouse to the lower left corner until I click - but this is not really important.

I have a small problem with StartIsBack: the text seems to be set to some very dark grey colour, which makes it nearly invisible in high contrast colour scheme:

startisback-highcontrast.png

Additionally, all submenus have white background and no visible selection indicator. Is this something that can be fixed?

I tried changing the Start menu translucency, but it doesn't have any effect.

I also noticed that with taskbar set to auto-hide, it won't unhide if I move my mouse to the lower left corner until I click - but this is not really important.

I don't think Tihiy could do anything about that mate, that was just Microsofts lack of care with the HC themes that resulted with that, especially when they were never meant to be used with the start menu, is there a particular reason you would want to use HC, maybe I could help you with a better solution with a custom theme in HC.

Tihiy, I think I noticed a bug. When searching in the start menu for games that appear in game center, it finds no results. However, they appear in the most-used applications list. Could you please add games to the search paths?
I'll try to.
EDIT: Actually, I don't have two big updates installed, both around 150mb. Does this matter, should I install them and check again?
You can try to.
I don't know if this is important, but I'm actually running Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center in VMWare, since I'm still checking out Windows 8.
That's very strange, since i develop it in VMWare and never noticied that. I believe you should try it on real system.

I don't think Tihiy could do anything about that mate, that was just Microsofts lack of care with the HC themes that resulted with that, especially when they were never meant to be used with the start menu, is there a particular reason you would want to use HC, maybe I could help you with a better solution with a custom theme in HC.
I'm using high contrast theme with dark background and bright text because I find it's much easier on my eyes than any theme with white backgrounds (my theme is actually customized, but I switched to one of the default themes shipped with Windows just to verify that the problem happens with them, too).

I also noticed another problem: I can't pin a shortcut to a text file to Start (even with 1.1rc). Had to change it to run the program, passing the filename as a parameter.

I'm using high contrast theme with dark background and bright text because I find it's much easier on my eyes than any theme with white backgrounds (my theme is actually customized, but I switched to one of the default themes shipped with Windows just to verify that the problem happens with them, too).

I also noticed another problem: I can't pin a shortcut to a text file to Start (even with 1.1rc). Had to change it to run the program, passing the filename as a parameter.

OK mate well I found out I can make complete custom themes in HC so I will make a better one for you mate, it wont be anything too flash but it will get the job done :)

OK mate well I found out I can make complete custom themes in HC so I will make a better one for you mate, it wont be anything too flash but it will get the job done :)

Thanks for the offer, but there's a slight problem: if high contrast mode isn't enabled, many programs mix their colours with system colours, which usually results in invisible text (some actually still do that with high contrast enabled, but they're rarer).

This is the actual theme I use. NOTE: Link is a direct download to a theme file.

Edited by Tripredacus

Thanks for the offer, but there's a slight problem: if high contrast mode isn't enabled, many programs mix their colours with system colours, which usually results in invisible text (some actually still do that with high contrast enabled, but they're rarer).

This is the actual theme I use.

well that isn't an actual theme,well it is but what I meant is custom visual style, I am very sure that I can help you out mate and give you a great looking desktop as well.