Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I can see that being a problem. In the past 1.5 years I've gone through 5 drives. 3 SSD's and 2 PCIe drives. I have a newer PCIe drive in the mail that I plan to upgrade to so that makes 6.
Yeah, using HDD as sole PC UID is not wise it seems. I'll sort out this issue for 1.0 final.

2 days, and no answer....

Sorry, but this question is too easy to answer. Of course login screen is not affected by StartIsBack at all.

I was supposed to know this how, and if it was too easy to answer, then how come it took two days..?!

You could've easily installed the program and try it and uninstall it if you didn't like within 5 minutes.

I don't know why you would even expect a replacement Start Menu program to affect Windows login screen anyway.

I couldn't've installed the program, because I haven't installed Windows 8 yet, I am still deciding if I want to or not.

Also, if I'm going to have to pay for this app eventually, I'd much rather buy Stardock's Start8, as it's a lot more mature.

Edited by mlauzon

2 days, and no answer....

Sorry, but this question is too easy to answer. Of course login screen is not affected by StartIsBack at all.

I was supposed to know this how, and if it was too easy to answer, then how come it took two days..?!

You could've easily installed the program and try it and uninstall it if you didn't like within 5 minutes.

I don't know why you would even expect a replacement Start Menu program to affect Windows login screen anyway.

I couldn't've installed the program, because I haven't installed Windows 8 yet, I am still deciding if I want to or not.

Also, if I'm going to have to pay for this app eventually, I'd much rather buy Stardock's Start8, as it's a lot more mature.

LMAO good luck with that, sounds like you just came here to troll, maybe you should try both products before you go praising Start8, I have and I can tell you Start8 has way more issues and it also wont let you customize it with Custom Themes.

@Tihiy I think a better way for activation would be to use a valid email address, make it so you have to buy the product using a valid email address and you have to become a member of your site using that email address and only then can you download StartIsBack, I had to do that for Windows Style Builder and I think the system works pretty good, maybe not a perfect solution but maybe that plus the use of a serial key may be good enough.

I still think tying it to the serial number of a specific drive is a bad idea, as another member pointed out, people do change their drives for various reasons.

Edit: Never mind, I see you answered that. One final question then, how flexible will you be prepared to be if a registered customer has to ask for a transfer to a new machine for any reason? I really do want to support you, so please don't think I'm complaining for the sake of it I just want to know that i'll be safe in the case of the unforeseen :)

Edited by Shane

Version 1.0 Release Candidate

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setup.exe

RELEASE CANDIDATE CHANGELIST

- New: installation for all users!

yeah, thanks for the RC :thumbup :thumbup

btw, can you add the possibility to inject StartIsBack into a WIM? This would be awesome

Btw, the resizing of the PNG doesn't work. I've tried it with the original Orb I've linked. I click on the PNG, but it is not added to the list of installed orbs.

Small but important announcement

I'm changing activation system for v1.0final so both motherboard UID and HDD serial number are taken into account. Replacing hard drive OR motherboard won't require reactivation and won't count as new computer. I hope this solution will suit better.

Activation service will be taken offline several hours before v1.0 release which should happen in several days. Existing beta/RC activations will not require reactivation with v1.0 final.