Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I might have a bug to report.

When i open the start menu and for example find Notepad on the list of recently used applications, there is a little arrow to the right of it, when you hover over that the Start menu its extending a little to the right and when the animations are extending it, it appears chunky/laggy.

But when its retracting again, it seems pretty smooth.

Anyone else experiencing this?

You mean JUMPLIST = the area to the right, correct?

When i open the start menu and for example find Notepad on the list of recently used applications, there is a little arrow to the right of it, when you hover over that the Start menu its extending a little to the right and when the animations are extending it, it appears chunky/laggy.

I've hit this, as a workaround, disable transparency on the start menu.

That is gong to be machine dependent. On my oldest machine it bogs down. On all others it's fine. My guess is, video drivers will vary. Kind of like that whole WPF window sizing issue that plagues a lot of older video cards.

You mean JUMPLIST = the area to the right, correct?

It is the Jumplist ye, i forgot the name of it

This appears to work

Edited by maslow

It may have to do with the insufficient transparency support in windows 8.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not really a bug but an observation, when typing text in the search bar of start menu it appears grey and not black.

It's same way in Windows 7 start menu, the color in the search box is not black.

This is not really a bug but an observation, when typing text in the search bar of start menu it appears grey and not black.

It's same way in Windows 7 start menu, the color in the search box is not black.

That's not true, only the "Search programs and files" is in gray, but typed text is black.

That's not true, only the "Search programs and files" is in gray, but typed text is black.

What's interesting to note is that when you start typing in StartIsBack search box, there is no lag like the one when opening a jump list. And the search results pane does not grow outside the right column of the menu. Just an observation.

That is gong to be machine dependent. On my oldest machine it bogs down. On all others it's fine. My guess is, video drivers will vary. Kind of like that whole WPF window sizing issue that plagues a lot of older video cards.

I installed mine on a HP dc7800 with Intel Q35 chipset onboard Intel Graphics, The driver was updated today, im just pretty sure it didnt do that in Win7

Edited by maslow

A bug I noticed, from time to time, the hot corners manage to slip through. Most of the time they are disabled, but from time to time, the top left corner displays the metro switcher, and bottom left displays the start.

Also, I notice, when disabling the top screen edge (drag to "close" desktop), the desktop icons flicker.

Sorry if already mentioned. :)

Edited by Leo Natan

That‘s true

A bug I noticed, from time to time, the hot corners manage to slip through. Most of the time they are disabled, but from time to time, the top left corner displays the metro switcher, and bottom left displays the start.

Also, I notice, when disabling the top screen edge (drag to "close" desktop), the desktop icons flicker.

Sorry if already mentioned. :)

I've noticed the same thing with the Hot Corner in the bottom left corner, i don't think i've seen the flickering before though

I just found this site.. I have been searching hard for fix to ditch W8 metro..I have/had W7 and dearly missed the old start menu.

The Metro Window is just unsuitable for PC interface.

I have already tried many other fixes and start programs, but this one of yours (beta3) is by far the best..

Put me on your "Final Build" list and i will happily pay for it.

UTC