Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I found how to fix Windows Server 2012 - exclude StartIsBackCfg.exe from DEP options.

Worked like a charm! It's running now and all findings are identical to Win8.

Just select item with keyboard and press F2. F2 is universal hotkey to rename things.

No clue what you guys are talking about. If I mouse over a Start Menu item and hit F2, nothing happens. If I "select" a menu item then it launches...no chance to rename. I noticed if I right-click an item and keep the mouse button down THEN hit F2 it starts to rename the item but if I let go of the mouse button then the context menu pops up and I lose the rename.

However, SHIFT+Right-Click worked just fine.

Are you guys talking about going to "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu" and hitting F2 on the actual file? Who the heck does that? :P

At any rate, I cannot hit F2 on any Start Menu items in WinXP, Win7, Win8 or Server 2012. So yeah, you guys lost me on that one :huh:

All in all, aside from those quirks which don't really matter to me anyway....this thing is rock solid awesomeness!!!

I'll play with trying to break the licensing today.

EDIT:

Just a reminder to some folks...still not a good idea to select "Rename Start Screen to "Apps" and keep only modern apps there" on Server 2012. Remember, there are no metro apps on Server yet so it'll just remove everything. Oddly, except for IE which is also not metro. Funny how that one isn't removed.

Edited by ISOHaven

On my Server 2012 Datacenter RTM installation its on default for all program except the excluded ones

You are right, the server 2012 defult is for all programs and services. I switched my inbox admin account's DEP to essentials only, but my new windows account that I created later inherited that setting from the built-in account. Anyway good we know now.

-------------------------------------------

As for false positives, my security is the latest Eset Endpoint with all updates, and my StartIsBack comes out clean after scanning.

EDIT:

Just a reminder to some folks...still not a good idea to select "Rename Start Screen to "Apps" and keep only modern apps there" on Server 2012. Remember, there are no metro apps on Server yet so it'll just remove everything. Oddly, except for IE which is also not metro. Funny how that one isn't removed.

Under the built-in Administrator Account "Store" is the only app. But under newly created user accounts you can run "Store" and install other metro apps from it. In this case your Start Screen won't be empty.

http://superuser.com/questions/480988/can-windows-server-2012-run-all-metro-windows-store-applications

http://www.win2012workstation.com/windows-8-apps/

EDIT:

Under the built-in Administrator Account "Store" is the only app. But under newly created user accounts you can run "Store" and install other metro apps from it. In this case your Start Screen won't be empty.

http://superuser.com/questions/480988/can-windows-server-2012-run-all-metro-windows-store-applications

Huh? The only app for what? I never said Server 2012 can't run Metro apps. I said it doesn't come with any Metro apps by default. You don't even get "Store" unless you install the "Desktop Experience" and 99.9% of all people running Server will never do that.

The point was, that everything you initially see on the Metro screen by default and by installing whatever roles and features you require (you know, normal server stuff) will disappear because everything it uses are desktop apps.....so far. So expect an empty Metro screen if you use that checkbox (in other words, not a bug).

Yes, of course, if you install "Desktop Experience" then you will also have the Store app icon.

EDIT:

Huh? The only app for what? I never said Server 2012 can't run Metro apps. I said it doesn't come with any Metro apps by default. You don't even get "Store" unless you install the "Desktop Experience" and 99.9% of all people running Server will never do that.

The point was, that everything you initially see on the Metro screen by default and by installing whatever roles and features you require (you know, normal server stuff) will disappear because everything it uses are desktop apps.....so far. So expect an empty Metro screen if you use that checkbox (in other words, not a bug).

Yes, of course, if you install "Desktop Experience" then you will also have the Store app icon.

Sure thing that Metro apps are not used by all server users. I'm only saying that quite a few people do install metro apps on servers, and for such people (including myself) "Rename Start Screen to Apps" is quite interesting an option.

Of course I see your point that it'lll result in an empty Metro screen without DE installed, you are absolutely right it does that. Obviously unchek the box then.

I've installed Beta0ne, my Windows hangs on desktop screen without icons and start menu.

I'm using italian Windows 8 Pro build 9200.

Before using your software i've installed Classic Shell and Stardock's Start 8

Beta 3 has solved my problem, now it works :)

really excited about new beta but had an error trying to install :-s can i have some help pls screen shot included

Its possible an Antivirus Software is removing the file from the temporary folder so you cant copy it?

I've read other people in the thread having false positives on the x32 dll file

really excited about new beta but had an error trying to install :-s can i have some help pls screen shot included

Did you try running it as a admin also try disable your antivirus.

yay it installed was coz of avg , but the orb has disiperred?? the whole start menu has gone ??

i was using the x64 beta1 if that makes any difference?

Edited by scavenger84

yay it installed was coz of avg , but the orb has disiperred?? the whole start menu has gone ??

You will have to add the file "C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\StartIsBack\Beta3\StartIsBack32.dll or StartIsBack64.dll" if you're using a 64-bit version of Windows 8, as an exclusion in your antivius, otherwise it will just remove that very important file and the menu will be gone

Edited by maslow

You will have to add the file "C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\StartIsBack\Beta3\StartIsBack32.dll or StartIsBack64.dll" if you're using a 64-bit version of Windows 8, as an exclusion in your antivius, otherwise it will just remove that very important file and the menu will be gone

trying to uninstall virus software to see if it be easier to do that way

I might have a bug to report.

When i open the start menu and for example find Notepad on the list of recently used applications, there is a little arrow to the right of it, when you hover over that the Start menu its extending a little to the right and when the animations are extending it, it appears chunky/laggy.

But when its retracting again, it seems pretty smooth.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I might have a bug to report.

When i open the start menu and for example find Notepad on the list of recently used applications, there is a little arrow to the right of it, when you hover over that the Start menu its extending a little to the right and when the animations are extending it, it appears chunky/laggy.

But when its retracting again, it seems pretty smooth.

Anyone else experiencing this?

For me, it seems just about the same both directions. Not sure what to think about the speed. It's generally smooth.