Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

post-134642-0-05891400-1351047936.gif

They are doing it again :realmad:

It ticks me off, too, for Tihiy's sake.

Nah, they're helping him out. He will just make it stronger and stronger. The only version that matters is final and they won't hack that. They only hack beta to preserve it.

Sez Who?

Sez me. BETA archive. They do not store nor have interest in production code.

Just to be clear, you are an advocate of hacking software without the author or owner's consent? What difference does it make if it is beta or not? This isn't open source and not free for all. It is a closed beta and was declared as such.

Don't worry, guys, C&D letters will be sent the second i won't like BetaArchive actions.

Everything can be cracked, even with hardware protection keys and poly-cripted protected code all over (recall Skype).

What's more important is to make sure that license key and activation system can't be hijacked. I've taken care of that.

Besides, StartIsBack will be cheap :whistle:

Stay tuned, Beta 3 will come 25/26.

Don't worry, guys, C&D letters will be sent the second i won't like BetaArchive actions.

Everything can be cracked, even with hardware protection keys and poly-cripted protected code all over (recall Skype).

What's more important is to make sure that license key and activation system can't be hijacked. I've taken care of that.

Looking forward to it!

谢谢,非常好用,祝早日发布正式版。

Uhhh yeah, really looking forward to this.

Regards

Just to be clear, you are an advocate of hacking software without the author or owner's consent? What difference does it make if it is beta or not? This isn't open source and not free for all. It is a closed beta and was declared as such.

Nope, you are not clear. Not one bit. You are also wrong about the closed beta part. From what I can tell they do not have Beta 2 at all. Only beta 2 has been "closed".

I simply stated the facts. I never gave my opinion on whether it's right or wrong so how you read or injected that into it is beyond my comprehension.

Awesome!

Will this be public?

Will this be public?

Yes.

I found a critical bug in StartIsBack which leads to explorer crash and I'm trying to fix it. i've fixed it.

Edited by Tihiy

is it possible to make metro have taskbar ?

Why didn't MS think of this? :w00t:

Good question, only answer is cos they're idiots.

Don't really think "metro " was ever really intended for desktops.

Now , tho .... with StartIsBacK you can turn metro into Windows8 easily!!! :thumbup

actually they did both just not exactly so

by metro taskbar i guess you would imagine thumbnails or pictures (of sort) and not icons

this was done in pre-alpha versions of windows 7, even before they did "superbar"

the giant icons were thumbnails in some prototypes

as for metro desktop to be active desktop of sort, not exactly so but they did have phodeo built into explorer in vista alphas

which basically made moving file objects (icons/thumbs) (yes in 3D) while (in build 4066) you had aurora animation moving in background

MS had many great ideas in past, even that date back to pre-NT 4

but at the end they are enterprises company and not home-user oriented (this is where apple wins)

Edited by vinifera

BETA THREE "THE SALVATION" HAS ARRIVED

You're now ready for Windows 8 GA. Getting it in time was my ultimate goal and i hope i succeeded! From prototype to fully functional version in three weeks, quite a feat.

This beta is intended to be last beta. Note that it's 30 day trial (per user). It's fully featured and won't nag you.

After trial expires, StartIsBack will still work, but start menu will be non-functional and will nag you every boot.

This build is capable of activation, but activation itself is not tested yet, so i give license keys to few trusted pals and we'll be testing.

Buying and license key gifts to donators should come after testing.

Download: http://startisback.com/StartIsBack_betathree.zip

List of changes:

- Fixed critical: explorer crashes if start is apps and items in all programs are renamed

- Fixed critical: renaming pinned items broke them

- Fixed: renaming MFU items didn't work correctly

- Fixed: off-by-one recent program count (if no items are pinned)

- New: context menu for All Programs

- New: allow edges on secondary monitors

- New: configurable Start screen hotkey

- New: middle mouse Start button click invokes Start screen

- New: updated config UI, PNG orbs support, animated orb gallery

- New: trial and activation

- Code cleanup and optimization

And installer of course! Note that StartIsBack is installed for user only - into \Users\<User>\AppData\Local\StartIsBack

Installer is a bit lame for now, but installing per-machine won't likely be implemented for v1.0 personal edition.

Spread the word about this version, it's meant to be heard of, i hope there are no bugs :rolleyes: .

Icon is probably temporary, shamrock will stay probably. Everybody loves shamrock?

Edited by Tihiy