Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Running Beta 2 on my primary system (win 8 pro x64) since i got my invitation. StartIsBack is running flawless in all tested scenarios so far. Btw. i don´t use "Metro"-apps and "Apps"-sceen as well.

Realy love to have my own start orb now.

Regards

Just out of curiosity, Tihiy, may I ask what does it do to rename "Start" to "Apps" and how does it keep only Metro apps there? :)

To rename, i have to perform some resource manipulation. To keep out Metro apps, i hook shortcuts store and return only 'metro' or 'dual' (browsers) mode shortcuts. That's all done in memory. Whole mechanism of app shortcuts getting to metro launcher is complex, i work on top of iceberg only.
One other bug to note, the MFU list in Beta 2 seems to show 1 less than the desired number of programs. So if it's set to the default of 10 it shows 9 and so on.
That was reported but i was unable to reproduce that yet. Edited by Tihiy

I only have a png of my favorite start orb, so I must wait for Beta3 or the Final.

Just load it into Paint included with Windows (desktop) and save it as BMP.

BMP images need alpha channels for transparency when PNG doesn't therefore doing that will remove the transparency.

I only have a png of my favorite start orb, so I must wait for Beta3 or the Final.

BMP images need alpha channels for transparency when PNG doesn't therefore doing that will remove the transparency.

Oh well. :) Hopefully SiB will support PNG later.

@ Servelius

how do I turn off the corners? I would like to see not just the charm bar

Right-click on the Start Button Orb, or in an empty area of the Start Menu, choose Properties or Start Menu Properties, depending on where you do it from (I motion to Tihiy that "Properties" be renamed to Start Menu Properties, to be consistent.

Go to the ModernUI tab at the top. Uncheck the top-left, top-center and top-right checkboxes.

Hit OK.

;P Andre used Magic to post before me. ;)

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Oh well. :) Hopefully SiB will support PNG later.

just use "alpha image convertor" for converting PNG -> BMP and vice versa for keeping the alpha channel..

google it with the exact phrase including the quotes. It should be somewhere in the internet...

how do I turn off the corners?

uncheck all 3 checkboxes:

post-70718-0-88335900-1350827117_thumb.p

Yup, don't want the hot corners - simply uncheck all and they won't bother you anymore. Very simple and doesn't require reboot. :)

Edited by Servelius

Beta 3 is coming this week, here are some screenshots of updated config UI

see1.png

see2m.png

see3z.png

Note that shamrock and circle moving are possible logos for StartIsBack :rolleyes:

If you know a designer or a good design for possible start orb logo, please PM me.

Edited by Tihiy