Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Thx roirraW "edor" ehT,

See it still looks the same just some additional features... would imagine a bit of work done under the hood!!! :yes:

Is explorer occasionally crashing for anyone?

that,s just 1 of those things i still have win7 (w/o " startisback" )& explorer crashes from time to time... may just be a windoz bug?!

@Tihily .... any chance of having a winkey that makes ya coffee & orders ya pizza??

Just kidding!!!

It looks it's coming along brilliantly!!!! :thumbup

Just out of curiosity, Tihiy, may I ask what does it do to rename "Start" to "Apps" and how does it keep only Metro apps there? :)

That means exactly what it says: rename "Start" to "Apps" to keep only Metro apps there = 1) to substitute word "Start" as you see it on top left in your Metro screen with word "Apps", so that 2) your Metro screen is clean of program shortcuts clutter with only Metro type apps there such as weather, finance, news, cut the rope game, etc.

@Tihiy, correct?

LOL laugh.gif I was asking for a technical explanation. What does it do behind the scenes to achieve that / how does it do it? How does it keep only Metro apps pinned there? Does it rename the "Start" string in some DLL and does it do anything to the desktop shortcuts (like apply the hidden attribute or something) to not show them on the Start screen?

LOL laugh.gif I was asking for a technical explanation. What does it do behind the scenes to achieve that / how does it do it? How does it keep only Metro apps pinned there? Does it rename the "Start" string in some DLL and does it do anything to the desktop shortcuts (like apply the hidden attribute or something) to not show them on the Start screen?

Ah I see. :yes:

First off, thanks for allowing me into the secret world of Beta 2. I'd like to share my experience. I first uninstalled the Beta 1, and when I installed the Beta 2 and rebooted, all I had was a black desktop over a blank task bar. I panicked thinking I would need to reinstall Windows 8. However, I discovered that I could right click on that blank task bar and the normal pop-up menu appeared. I was able to create a toolbar for the StartIsBack folder, and using it, was able to access and run the uninstall, which of course restored Windows 8 to normal after rebooting. Figuring something just didn't register correctly the first time, I tried it again, but got the same result (black desktop over blank taskbar). But the toolbar I created for the StartIsBack folder was still there, so I ran uninstall, and rebooted. And now, being really determined, I tried the Beta 2 a third time, and apparently the 3rd time really is the charm, because this time it works perfectly. I can't imagine what would have caused the first two times not to work, but enable the 3rd time to work.

I haven't used Windows 7 on my three dual-boot laptops since discovering and installing StartIsBack on them. Thanks you for your hours of hard work. I hope that when you release this in final form, you will offer a whole household license, since I have seven computers (two desktops, four laptops, and a netbook) in my household.

And while I'm here, I would like to comment on a couple comments I've seen about Administrative Tools not showing on the start menu when selected to do so in the customization. It's there on all three laptops that I've installed the Beta 1 on (and now one with the Beta 2). It appears as a folder in the All Programs menu in the left column of the Start Menu. I wonder if some people expected it to appear in the right column, since all other Start Menu customizations do appear in that column?

Edited by CompUser

First off, thanks for allowing me into the secret world of Beta 2. I'd like to share my experience. I first uninstalled the Beta 1, and when I installed the Beta 2 and rebooted, all I had was a black desktop over a blank task bar. I panicked thinking I would need to reinstall Windows 8. However, I discovered that I could right click on that blank task bar and the normal pop-up menu appeared. I was able to create a toolbar for the StartIsBack folder, and using it, was able to access and run the uninstall, which of course restored Windows 8 to normal after rebooting. Figuring something just didn't register correctly the first time, I tried it again, but got the same result (black desktop over blank taskbar). But the toolbar I created for the StartIsBack folder was still there, so I ran uninstall, and rebooted. And now, being really determined, I tried the Beta 2 a third time, and apparently the 3rd time really is the charm, because this time it works perfectly. I can't imagine what would have caused the first two times not to work, but enable the 3rd time to work.

I haven't used Windows 7 on my three dual-boot laptops since discovering and installing StartIsBack on them. Thanks you for your hours of hard work. I hope that when you release this in final form, you will offer a whole household license, since I have seven computers (two desktops, four laptops, and a netbook) in my household.

And while I'm here, I would like to comment on a couple comments I've seen about Administrative Tools not showing on the start menu when selected to do so in the customization. It's there on all three laptops that I've installed the Beta 1 on (and now one with the Beta 2). It appears as a folder in the All Programs menu in the left column of the Start Menu. I wonder if some people expected it to appear in the right column, since all other Start Menu customizations do appear in that column?

where can I download the beta 2?

So far so good, all options working. :thumbup

I want Metro tile (hot corner near the start button) active, as another option for ModernUI tab.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is explorer occasionally crashing for anyone?

Never does for me.

---------------------------

One other bug to note, the MFU list in Beta 2 seems to show 1 less than the desired number of programs. So if it's set to the default of 10 it shows 9 and so on.

Works perfectly for me, 0 through 10 whatever I choose.. StartIsBack shows the exact desired number of frequently used programs as you set in the menu properties, I guess unless the MFU list gets limited by too many pinned shortcuts in your menu (so the menu gets too tall and can't hold them all)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations for your work!

In future it will be possible to completely disable the charm bar (not just the corners)?

Thank you very much!!!

For what? Just open up the menu properties and uncheck all hot corners; after doing that, there's no way to get to chatms unless you accidentally hit Win-C.

---------------------------------------------

First off, thanks for allowing me into the secret world of Beta 2. I'd like to share my experience. I first uninstalled the Beta 1, and when I installed the Beta 2 and rebooted, all I had was a black desktop over a blank task bar. I panicked thinking I would need to reinstall Windows 8. However, I discovered that I could right click on that blank task bar and the normal pop-up menu appeared. I was able to create a toolbar for the StartIsBack folder, and using it, was able to access and run the uninstall, which of course restored Windows 8 to normal after rebooting.

If the istructions are strictly followed there are no anomalities as you describe. And no need to reboot, all it takes is to re-log in.

How to install:

1. Copy StartIsBack extracted folder to C:\

2. Click INSTALL_64.reg or INSTALL_32.reg, according to your bitness

3. Logg off

4. Log in

How to uninstall:

1. Go to to C:\StartIsBack

2. Click UNINSTALL.reg, both x86 and x64 users

3. Logg off

4. Log in

5. Delete C:\StartIsBack folder

--------------------------------------------

The Admin tools appears as a LINK in the right menu column and/or as a folder on all programs list, as you set it in the menu properties (where you want this item to appear).

Edited by Servelius

Is there a way to install it system wide (and not per user)?

The developer may officially provide such option in the final version. It is actually possible now, but you are not supposed to do so. Please mind it's still beta with the time bomb so not a good idea to apply it globally for all users.

Is there a way to install it system wide (and not per user)?

The developer may officially provide such option in the final version. It is actually possible now, but you are not supposed to do so. Please mind it's still beta with the time bomb so not a good idea to apply it globally for all users.

Option for that would be very nice, I test this release in virtual environment anyway so there's precautions already taken.