Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I like the idea of alt+win now that I think about it, since the keys are right next to each other.

Not on all keyboards as there are many with different layout (my laptop has only one Winkey on the right side) or there are old but still very usable keyboards (IBM Model M anyone?) which have no Windows keys at all.

You can ignore my suggestions as I don't use Windows 8 but I think that having a shortcut which doesn't utilise Winkey might be more universal. In Windows there are two ways to open Start Menu using keyboard - Winkey or CTRL+ESC. Is there any reason not to have such two different combinations for Metro screen too?

Not on all keyboards as there are many with different layout (my laptop has only one Winkey on the right side) or there are old but still very usable keyboards (IBM Model M anyone?) which have no Windows keys at all.

While valid suggestion, it hardly applies to modern Windows 8 computers. I'm fine with Win+C+Enter for example because i hardly go into Modern UI.

]While valid suggestion, it hardly applies to modern Windows 8 computers.

That's probably true. I just prefer more universal solutions ;) As long as it's changeable then it doesn't really matter though.

Edited by tomasz86

You have erased/replaced the previous poll question, but the link between the topic and the data still exists. So the forum sees both questions and generates an error. I'd recommend you create a separate poll in the Poll section and provide a link to it from your first post and delete the poll on this topic completely.

Oh concerning the key combination, I wouldn't think you'd want to use the Right Win key, because I've seen keyboards that do not have that key, just the Context Menu on the right. And then of course the regular Windows key on the left side.

Oh concerning the key combination, I wouldn't think you'd want to use the Right Win key, because I've seen keyboards that do not have that key, just the Context Menu on the right. And then of course the regular Windows key on the left side.

My thinkpad T400 has no right win-key at all。

Edited by itoy

My thinkpad T400 has no left win-key at all。

Well that being the case, the "dream" solution to the key is to make it user configurable. I'm not sure how feasible that is.

This probobly have been asked already, but is StartIsBack immune to Windows Updates ? if MS decides to update some system files, will this still work ?

The program is under on-going development. I would expect that if a patch does come out that breaks the program, Tihiy (the author) will release an updated version that works.

This probably have been asked already, but is StartIsBack immune to Windows Updates ? if MS decides to update some system files, will this still work ?
It should work until major changes in Windows codebase, which doesn't usually happens in updates or service packs.