Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Hopefully I'll remember to run the UNINSTALL.reg on the 31st, but if I don't, will it quit working and prevent my computer from booting correctly?

I know of course that Tihiy will give you the definite answer, but I'm sure it wouldn't keep your PC from booting correctly. You just wouldn't have a Start Menu any more.

Hopefully I'll remember to run the UNINSTALL.reg on the 31st, but if I don't, will it quit working and prevent my computer from booting correctly?

I just set my date to 11/10 and rebooted. It boots fine. You just lose the start menu and it goes to Metro. No harm.

I had resolved to skip Win8 entirely. Now, I may reconsider.

When you make it a paid program, what will be the terms of the license? I have about a dozen PCs in the house and would prefer not to have to buy a license for every single one.

I had resolved to skip Win8 entirely. Now, I may reconsider.

When you make it a paid program, what will be the terms of the license? I have about a dozen PCs in the house and would prefer not to have to buy a license for every single one.

Same question here. I have got four PC's. Besides that, in my country there are no easy ways of getting money abroad.

The people that can transfer abroad are charging for that so in the end it can get a bit costly.

I'd rather see Tihy not charging for the utility but if he does, I'll buy it anyway.

Cheers.

Got Beta 2 installed and so far everything is working great. Just a few things:

1. I would have an alternate way of involking the start screen, such as shift+winkey as most keyboards now don't have a right side windows key, at least none of mine do.

2. When opening a jumplist from the MFU pane (left side of start menu) the transition is a little choppy. Not sure if this can be fixed or not but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Other than those 2 things it's going great so far. If I come across anything else I will post right away.

I've installed Beta0ne, my Windows hangs on desktop screen without icons and start menu.

Most likely you haven't installed it right. Anyway uninstall with reg file, Win+R should be working. And i hope you didn't left Start8/Classic Shell installed.

I've uninstalled with reg file and reinstalled it from C:\Startisback but i've not solved the problem.

Edited by jinkazama

I've installed Beta0ne, my Windows hangs on desktop screen without icons and start menu.

Most likely you haven't installed it right. Anyway uninstall with reg file, Win+R should be working. And i hope you didn't left Start8/Classic Shell installed.

I've uninstalled with reg file and reinstalled it from C:\Startisback but i've not solved the problem.

Maybe, just as an experiment at least you should try what another user did. They created a new user account and then installed StartIsBack on that new user and it worked just fine for them on the new user account. At least then you'd have some idea that the reason it's not working is some setting or something obscure having to do specifically with your current user account.

Maybe, just as an experiment at least you should try what another user did. They created a new user account and then installed StartIsBack on that new user and it worked just fine for them on the new user account. At least then you'd have some idea that the reason it's not working is some setting or something obscure having to do specifically with your current user account.

This.

There are a multitude of things that can go wrong with a user profile, so create a fresh one and try it, if it works then you know your profile is messed and it's not a bug with StartisBack.

Also there now no start animations for the start screen AKA app screen which shouldn't been removed now its like opening a normal window up maybe add a option for it, Ill happy pay for this when its out of beta.

Edited by LiveOrDie

It turns out Beta 1 wasn't cracked after all, it's just maxtorix who cofused us. :rolleyes:

However, i consider beta 2 private testing huge success. I got to meet a lot of nice people and got donations too :angel

Working hard to deliver next pulic version before November.

I would have an alternate way of involking the start screen, such as shift+winkey as most keyboards now don't have a right side windows key, at least none of mine do.
Win+C+Enter won't do?
When opening a jumplist from the MFU pane (left side of start menu) the transition is a little choppy. Not sure if this can be fixed or not but I figured it was worth mentioning.
As a workaround, you can disable start menu translucency. I'll try to fix this, but i can't promise the quick one.
Also there now no start animations for the start screen AKA app screen
There are animations opening and closing it for me. :unsure: Edited by Tihiy

the right Windows-Key to show the Metro startscreen doesn't always work for me. The fist time, metro shows for a few ms and goes away. the second time, the desktop startmenu shows up and when i press the key again I go to Metro.

Me too!

The same happen to mine