Possible to upgrade 98-2k without CD?

kahlil88

Trying to upgrade a customer's laptop from Windows 98 to 2000. I got past the initial pre-setup stage, but when it reboots to the actual setup to copy files from the disc, it won't read ANY of them and I keep getting "setup cannot copy the file..." errors. I booted into Linux and copied the contents of the install CD from a flash drive to a folder on the hard drive but it doesn't give me the option to select it as the source. So I need some kind of no CD workaround, perhaps just re-creating the directory the setup files get copied to and just telling it to skip when it gives an error.

Although if it's USB 1.1 then I'd STRONGLY recommend a HDD based installation.

http://nietzsche.holtof.com/reader/browse-human-all-too-human-quotes-100-date.html

Calm in action. As a waterfall becomes slower and more floating as it plunges, so the great man of action will act with greater calm than could be expected from his violent desire before the deed.

Start the install, go take a walk, take it easy... :yes:

jaclaz

Well, I did install Windows 7 through USB 1.1 once :w00t: It wasn't that bad - something about ~2 hours if I remember correctly.

Well, NO :no: .

There are limits, that is dangerously nearing the border with masochism :ph34r: .

;)

jaclaz

Had to use Dam Small Linux since this Compaq Armada 3500 has only 128MB of RAM. I tried to USB boot with PLOP, which I have on floppy and the UBCD but it just locks up. Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look at those links.

Edited by kahlil88

I wouldn't really recommend installing Win2k on a machine with only 128 MB of RAM. Unless you plan to slim it down very heavily (I managed to make it use only ~35 MB of memory though extreme nLiting) the system will eat up more than 50% of the available memory, and even more after you've installed all the drivers. Personally I'd just stick to Win98...

I wouldn't really recommend installing Win2k on a machine with only 128 MB of RAM. Unless you plan to slim it down very heavily (I managed to make it use only ~35 MB of memory though extreme nLiting) the system will eat up more than 50% of the available memory, and even more after you've installed all the drivers. Personally I'd just stick to Win98...

Technically the system requirements specify 32MB minimum, 128MB recommended. In my experience, Win2k runs pretty decently on that amount of RAM (unless you try to run the newest Firefox or LibreOffice) but it's definitely worth checking which services can be disabled to really make it fly.

This is from my nLite configuration (it's ~2 years old though)

[Components]
;# Applications #
Accessibility Options
Briefcase
Charmap
ClipBook Viewer
Pinball
Screensavers
;# Multimedia #
Images and Backgrounds
Mouse Cursors
Speech Support
Windows Sounds
;# Network #
Client for Netware Networks
Communication tools
File and Print Services for Macintosh
FrontPage Extensions
Internet Information Services (IIS)
Netmeeting
Share Creation Wizard
Synchronization Manager
Web Folders
;# Operating System Options #
Administration Tools Pack
Color Schemes
Configure Your Server Wizard
Disk Cleanup
Document Templates
DR Watson
Extensible Storage Engine (Esent97)
Help and Support
Manual Install and Upgrade
MS Agent
OS2 Subsystem
Posix Subsystem
Private Character Editor
Remote Installation Services (RIS)
Web View
;# Services #
Automatic Updates
Beep Driver
Certificate Services
Cluster
File Replication
Intersite Messaging Service
IPSEC Policy Agent
Message Queuing (MSMQ)
Messenger
Network DDE
QoS RSVP
Quality of Service (QoS)
Remote Registry
Route Listening Service
Secondary Logon
Service Advertising Protocol
Simple TCP/IP Services
Telnet
Terminal Server Licensing
Windows Media Services

[Services2]
Browser,4
Dfs,4
TrkWks,4
TrkSvr,4
MSDTC,3
Fax,4
NtFrs,4
CiSvc,4
NetLogon,4
Netman,2
SysmonLog,4
Spooler,4
NtmsSvc,4
LanmanServer,4
ScardSvr,4
ScardDrv,4
LMHosts,3
UPS,4
UtilMan,4
W32Time,4

Of course the source had been fully updated with HFSLIP before running nLite.

* Tip: You may want to leave IE5 and not update it to IE6. IE5 based Windows Explorer is actually faster. Of course you should use other browsers to browse the Web ;) Same goes for other components like DX (keep DX7) or MDAC (keep MDAC 2.5). You should only install security fixes for them but not install any new versions.

Edited by tomasz86