Compatible Win98 driver for ATI x1250

Thunderbolt 2864

I'm trying to find a working driver or a modified driver that supports Windows 98 for my ATI x1250 which is an onboard graphic on one of my old Gigabyte board back in 2006, which is powered by an AMD 690G chipset, I've tried installing the last working driver for Windows 98, which is Catalyst™ 6.2 but it does not support my onboard graphic, so is there a way I can get it to work?

Thanks.

Did you search here for a modded driver?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=24

I had a quick look there. No luck with W98SE Drivers. I did not expect that, anyway, though...

Referring to MSFN-Lists, and a quick search in google, i found neither official nor inofficial drivers for W98SE at all. This is for 690G, as well as the integrated GPU.

On the other hand, i found many people on the internet giving up any attempt because they found no driver.

That may not be the last word on it, but i'm pretty sure you will be wasting time.

Regards,

Ragnar G.D.

nodevice.com claims to have Win98 drivers for these AMD 690g-based Sapphire mainboards:

Edit: Sorry, only the BIOS update was DOS/Win98 compatible :(

What display driver version within Catalyst 6.2 did you try? I've seen both 8.3.98 (02/09/2006) and 8.33 (12/20/2006).

Edited by jumper

^^ Thanks for the link, I clicked on it but I can't find any drivers that is compatible with Windows 98, most of them are for XP. Don't know which version of 6.2 I tried, but I guess that doesn't really matter because it doesn't support 98. However, I tried this driver and it works but it has major issues:

http://limemaster92.byethost15.com/2/vbe9x-iso/

The driver can be very slow when trying to scroll down a page, if you know what I mean, its like using the generic VGA adapter driver when no driver is installed

When a MSDOS window opens, it causes your monitor to lose signal which is very annoying

Guess I better give up looking for drivers, I guess running Windows 98 on VirtualBox is the wisest idea at the moment, though I prefer to run it natively on my old PC but due to lack of drivers it is very difficult.

^^ Thanks for the link, I clicked on it but I can't find any drivers that is compatible with Windows 98, most of them are for XP. Don't know which version of 6.2 I tried, but I guess that doesn't really matter because it doesn't support 98. However, I tried this driver and it works but it has major issues:

http://limemaster92....om/2/vbe9x-iso/

The driver can be very slow when trying to scroll down a page, if you know what I mean, its like using the generic VGA adapter driver when no driver is installed

When a MSDOS window opens, it causes your monitor to lose signal which is very annoying

Guess I better give up looking for drivers, I guess running Windows 98 on VirtualBox is the wisest idea at the moment, though I prefer to run it natively on my old PC but due to lack of drivers it is very difficult.

All about the Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver VBEMP 9x here.

Installation note 0: Current driver unsolved problems:

Slow driver operation when user scroll, move or resize a window.

Locking and garbage problems when entering DOS WDM or console session.

Garbage problems when displaying text with some screen fonts.

I guess you have one of these boards: GA-MA69GM-S2H or GA-MA69G-S3H. Both have a PCI-E slot. Probably it's the only solution, to run 98 natively, to insert a graphics card with 9x driver support. The ATI driver 6.2 supports up to X8xx series. Nvidia: The official drivers support up to NV6xxx series. But note the shutdown issue with drivers Nvidia 81.85 and higher and the problems with graphics cards, which have more than 256MB. Unofficial NV drivers support up to NV7xxx.

Edited by schwups

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_690_chipset_series:

Both the 690G and Radeon Xpress 1200 chipsets include an integrated graphics processing unit (IGP) based on the ATI Radeon X700 series GPUs with ATI Avivo technology included for hardware video acceleration. ...The IGP's 3D architecture is based on Radeon R420....

You might be able to manually select and use the X700 or X800 drivers. See http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/142076-win98-driver-for-ati-x800x850 and http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/86587-cheap-new-viaamd-pc-and-windows-98-se (posts #11 & #15) for more about using the R420 in Win9x.

Already tried Powerstrip, it does not provide any drivers to make it work, anyway guys, thanks for your replies, I guess since Windows 98 support has been discontinued there is no other way to find a working driver for my onboard graphic, may as well give up or look for a legacy compatible card.

I'm trying to find a working driver or a modified driver that supports Windows 98 for my ATI x1250 which is an onboard graphic on one of my old Gigabyte board back in 2006, which is powered by an AMD 690G chipset, I've tried installing the last working driver for Windows 98, which is Catalyst™ 6.2 but it does not support my onboard graphic, so is there a way I can get it to work?

Thanks.

The Catalyst installer can probably be modified to automatically select the R420 driver for the x1250 (in addition to the x700/x800/x850), but first we need to confirm that it will work okay. The manual selection process should look like this:

1. Install Catalyst to HDD
  2. Find the display adapter in Device Manager
  3. Click "Update driver" in "Driver" tab of "Properties"
  4. Display a list of all drivers....
  5. Show all hardware
  6. Find and select x700, x800, or x850
  7. Select "Yes" to "The driver...not written specifically for.... Are you sure...?"
  8. Reboot and test

The display modes available will probably depend in part on the amount of system memory allocated to the IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor / 690G) in the BIOS Setup.

Don't know which version of 6.2 I tried, but I guess that doesn't really matter because it doesn't support 98.

Catalyst™ 6.2 Drivers and ATI Multimedia Software for Windows 98/Windows 98 SE/Windows ME

• Release Notes
    Catalyst Software Suite 14.4MB 6.2 Feb. 9, 2005 Display Driver, Catalyst Control Center
    WDM Driver Package 3.3MB 6.14.10.6240 June 9, 2004 WDM Drivers
    ATI Multimedia Software 41.0MB 8.9 Feb. 12, 2004 DAO/MDAC, Multimedia Center Software
    Optional Downloads:
    HydraVision™

ATI Catalyst Display Driver (Windows 98/Me)

• Quick Specs
    * Version: 6.2 (02/09/2006)
    * File size: 14.47MB
    * Date added: April 05, 2006
    * Price: Free
    * Operating system: Windows 98/Me

VGA Driver Ati 8.33.zip

• Quick Specs
    * Version: 2006-12-20
    * File size: 114.5MB
    * Date added: December 20, 2006
    * Price: Update
    * Operating system: Windows 95/NT/98/2000/XP/2003/XP 32-bit/AMD 64-bit/2003 32-bit/AMD 64-bit