Formatted Internal SATA drive not seen by USB --> SATA converter

So I'm working on consolidating some data on several small drives to one 2 gig drive. One of the machines that I need to pull the data from has to stay on so I cant turn it off and plug this drive into a SATA port on the mother board. My plan was to use a USB --> SATA adapter.... Sounds simple enough.

Well, I end up filling about 40% of the drive with machine #1 (connected to the system's mobo). I powered that machine down, connected the drive to the USB adapter, plug the USB into the machine I cant turn off (machine #2) and.... NOTHING! I go to Device Manager --> Disk Management to find that the drive is there but in RAW format not NTFS???? So I put the drive back in the other computer (computer #1) and its fine.

Is there something about large drives and these USB things that I'm not aware of? I've used this thing for years with 2.5 and 3.5" PATA drives and its never done this.

The drive in question is a Seagate ST2000D.

Thanks for the help or any info.

What is the OS on the source PC and the destination PC?

Just to get things clear, tell me if this is incorrect:

- You plugged the HDD into the SATA port of the source computer, copied files, disconnected it after powering it down, connected the HDD to the adapter, then plugged it into the destination computer.

What is the make/model of the adapter? Is it USB powered or have its own brick?

Source and destination are Win7 Enterprise. One might be 32 and the other 64 but I wouldn't think that would matter.

The connection scenario is as you described. I dont know the make model of the adapter but will check tomorrow and it has its own brick.

Is there something about large drives and these USB things that I'm not aware of? I've used this thing for years with 2.5 and 3.5" PATA drives and its never done this.

Yes. (meaning there is).

Some controllers in the USB to SATA thingy will have a limit, which typically can be (from memory):

1. 137 Gb (the LBA 48 limit) <- for very old adapters
  2. 500 Gb
  3. 750 Gb
  4. 1 Tb

As an example see this one:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/computer-accessories/RF-AHD35.html

which is said to be "for max 750 Gb".

jaclaz