Getting Rid of "Suggested Sites" Link

Monroe

Has anyone here come up with a permanent solution to getting rid of the Suggested Sites link. I have searched Google and tried many suggestions but that link always comes right back when I open IE8. I use K-Meleon mostly but every so often I have to use IE8 for a web page and the Suggested Sites link reappears. I have deleted all references out of the registry, deleted the link ... nothing seems to work at present. There must be a permanent "fix" that maybe someone here has discovered.

thanks ...

Edited by duffy98

This is what I have...

For IE8 (on XP):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]

For IE9 (on Win7 x64):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]

And I think it works, because I don't remember seeing Suggested Sites on rare occasions when I fire IE. :ph34r:

GL

HarryTri ... thanks for your help ... yes, I wanted to delete it forever. I looked in Internet Options > Advanced tab but I didn't see anything related to Suggested Sites.

GrofLuigi ... thanks for the registry fix. I got off the computer then I first deleted any references to "suggested sites" in the registry after a search and I also checked the Links folder to make sure it wasn't sitting there again. I applied your registry fix and started IE8 and so far ... no suggested sites. I will see after a few days if it ever comes back. It usually appeared right away in the past after starting Internet Explorer ... thanks again.

... so far no "Suggested Sites" showing up in the Links folder ... have started and closed IE8 several times. Looking good for now.

Edited by duffy98

HarryTri ... just a quick note, I went through Internet Options > Advanced again ... Browsing and all, I see no mention of Suggested Sites anywhere. I went through the complete list at least three times before my last post. Perhaps one of the several fixes I tried earlier removed the line.

bphlpt ... I do remember seeing "Enable Suggested Sites" somewhere when I first turned my attention to getting rid of this nuisance ... I did uncheck it or I left it unchecked but that didn't solve my problem. However, the Registry fix by GrofLuigi seems to have done the job. No sign of Suggested Sites" anywhere. When I start up IE I have to give Zone Alarm the OK to let IE go on the internet. I always have IE blocked unless I say "yes" ... in the past I would always have to do this two times ... I eventually figured this out that the second attempt for "permission" was Suggested Sites wanting to connect to the internet. I no longer have that happening. There is no Suggested Sites showing up in the Links folder. It's a good working fix to the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update confirming that the registry fix by GrofLuigi (Post #3) for IE8 with XP does work ... the "Suggested Sites" link has not reappeared in the Links folder since I applied the fix on Oct 3rd. Good riddance ... thanks again GrofLuigi.

MSFN delivers again!

... a quick note, before I applied the registry fix I searched the registry for any references to Suggested Sites and deleted every one found ... there usually will be at least one, but on one computer I found more than one ... then I deleted Suggested Sites out of the Links (Favorites) folder ... after it seems to be completely gone on your system, then apply the registry fix before it has a chance to regenerate itself, either from a reboot or by starting IE 8. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I only let IE connect to the internet with permission through ZA ... there would also be a 2nd attempt (usually in less than a minute) with ZA asking for permission again for "something" wanting to connect to the internet. I eventually figured this out that it was Suggested Sites now trying to connect to go somewhere. It may all be harmless, I don't know for sure but it was a nuisance.

Also, the registry fix works for now but maybe a "future" MS monthly update will somehow "activate" it again. Let's hope not.

Edited by duffy98