Need to mark a few blocks as unusable

Available only API Access"

How is the hard disk connected?

Which OS are you running?

The porttalk driver used is:

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm

The PortTalk driver combined with allowIO.exe, grants certain programs

exclusive access to IO Ports on a Windows NT/2000/XP system.

I tested the Get SMART function and that worked so hopefully the other functions will.

Hmmm.

API mode represents AFAIK a much "less powerful" kind of access.

jaclaz

How is the hard disk connected?

Which OS are you running?

The porttalk driver used is:

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm

The PortTalk driver combined with allowIO.exe, grants certain programs

exclusive access to IO Ports on a Windows NT/2000/XP system.

It's just a normal SATA connection and I'm running Win7, although it's running in Test Mode so driver signing shouldn't be an issue. The Porttalk.sys driver is supplied with Victoria and in the same folder.

I think I've got a working XP partition on this system so I'll try booting to that. I still need to know which option to select on the Test page though.

It's just a normal SATA connection and I'm running Win7, although it's running in Test Mode so driver signing shouldn't be an issue. The Porttalk.sys driver is supplied with Victoria and in the same folder.

I guess you are setting some new peaks for the meaning of "assuming". :ph34r:

I would say that if you get a message like:

"PORTTALK error. Invalid Driver Handle"

it could :unsure: mean that you have an "invalid driver handle :angel ", whilst if there was an issue with driver signing you would have had more likely a message like:

"Windows requires a digitally signed driver:

A recently installed program tried to install an unsigned driver. This version of Windows requires all drivers to have a valid digital signature. the driver is unavailable and the program that uses this driver might not work correctly.

Uninstall the program or device that uses this driver and check the publisher''s support website to get a digitally signed driver."

I think I've got a working XP partition on this system so I'll try booting to that.

Better.

I still need to know which option to select on the Test page though.

Maybe this helps.

http://docs7.chomikuj.pl/81583362,0,0,Victoria-for-Windows-v4.pdf

jaclaz

Thanks for the link to the manual but I can't get it working under XP in PIO mode. Instead of drives it just lists two interfaces, both highlighted in dark blue which the manual says indicates drives the application is running off and shouldn't be scanned and then I get a "Get drive passport: Drive error" message.

I think I'll just run it in API mode and see if that does any good. To be honest, I'm somewhat doubting that the problems I've been having with my Xbox can be accounted for by the HDD having 5-6 blocks that are a bit slower than they should be!

• 4 months later...