W2k Adv Srv install issues.

lasitter

I know this is similar to another question asked here, but here goes.

GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H with just CD-ROM and HDD as the minimal install configuration.

Set to IDE mode, setup stops at "Starting Windows 2000".

I've tried this with a SATA drive and also a PATA drive, same result.

Interestingly, the PATA drive had a 10 year old Win2k install from a Chaintek board, and the machine actually started booting Win2k until a BSOD while attempting to load a device driver it had no chance of loading.

So it's obvious that the board has no problem with seeing or talking with a hard drive.

I deleted the partitions on the old PATA drive so I can't try the startup again.

I even tried this with an Adaptec 2940 and a SCSI drive, since that's supposedly one of the built-in drivers and got some curious results. Initially the adapter sucessfully installs a "C" drive and announces "bios installed", but if you do the "Ctrl-A" during startup the card won't enter the SCSI manager, saying it's not recognized by the system or some such.

Back to W2k ...

Win2k Advanced Server has to be a scratch install and cannot be an upgrade.

I've never tried to get the kinks out of the .NET framework, so I've never gotten nLite to work for me.

Suggestions? If there's a laundry list of everything you need listed in one place with links to various rollups, etc., I suppose that would also help.

Technically speaking there's no difference between Windows 2000 Advanced Server and other editions when it comes to installation.

• First of all, I'd suggest preparing a fully updated source. If you check my archive and go to "USP52" then you'll find a file called "HFSLIP_ia.7z" (if it's unavailable now then try looking for it a few hours later). Download and unpack it to a location without spaces, ex. "C:\HFSLIP_ia". After that copy your source to "SOURCE" (you basically need the I386 folder and the files "CDROM_IA.5", "CDROM_NT.5" & "CDROMSP4.TST" (the last one only if SP4 is integrated). After that just run "hfslip-1.7.10_beta_J_v10.cmd". You will end up with a fully updated source (the SOURCESS folder) and an ISO ready to be burned. Remember that HFSLIP should be run under NT 5.x (2K/XP/2K3) only.
  • You should integrate proper SATA drivers for your motherboard. Switching to IDE mode doesn't always work. You can use nLite to do it (as long as you're going to use the system for private purpose only) or you can use my script which automatically adds drivers to DRIVER.CAB. If you're interested I can try to upload it today or tomorrow (but keep in mind that it's still a beta version).

... "USP52" then you'll find a file called "HFSLIP_ia.7z" (if it's unavailable now then try looking for it a few hours later).

Have not found these just yet.

I assume that if I have rollup files from years ago I should just dump everything and start afresh?

Would love to see your beta 5.2.

Edited by lasitter

Have not found these just yet.

It should be available now.

I assume that if I have rollup files from years ago I should just dump everything and start afresh?

Yes, you should use a clean source. It can have any service pack (or no service pack) integrated but nothing else.

Would love to see your beta 5.2.

Unfortunately still a long way to go :(

Phenomic: Well, seeing as how I have two of these boards, I'm really looking forward to finding a way of making it work.

There is no floppy header, so there's no F6 driver disk opportunity for me.

I actually have an add-in PATA/FDD controller card available, but I have few hopes it would be good for much.

I find it very curious that the DVD/CD-ROM is supported via the same SATA III port that fails with the HDD.