Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

JorgeA

That sounds good, I'll PM Tihiy.

The most recent post on the Win7Ex4Win8 thread was back in February. I posted the question there last night and nobody (yet) has replied.

In any case, esp. since Tihiy's kept mention to it in his own signature, I'd advise to keep Win7Ex4Win8 in the list... I do think here is one case where erring on the side of most inclusiveness is preferable than the reverse. Just my 2¢, of course.

Have any of you read this? [Exclusive] Windows 8.1 Features List

Just to start out with 2 I despise of Win 8

1. Windows 8.1 will come with good old Start button in Taskbar. It'll launch Start Screen upon clicking. Currently Windows 8 users need to use 3rd party software to get Start button and Start Menu back as mentioned here.

2. Windows 8.1 will allow users to direct boot into Desktop. Users will be able to select whether they want to go to Start Screen or Desktop after login. Windows 8 users need to use extra software for such essential functionality as mentioned here.

Have any of you read this? [Exclusive] Windows 8.1 Features List

Just to start out with 2 I despise of Win 8

1. Windows 8.1 will come with good old Start button in Taskbar. It'll launch Start Screen upon clicking. Currently Windows 8 users need to use 3rd party software to get Start button and Start Menu back as mentioned here.

2. Windows 8.1 will allow users to direct boot into Desktop. Users will be able to select whether they want to go to Start Screen or Desktop after login. Windows 8 users need to use extra software for such essential functionality as mentioned here.

Thanks for the link!

I agree with @bphlpt, though. The revived Start Button only takes the user to the Metro Start Screen. Although we did name the thread "Ways to get back the Start Meny/Button in Win8"...

Meanwhile, it's up in the air as to how many of the Start Buttons and Menus on the list will still work after Windows 8.1 comes out. If it makes it impossible to use at least some of them, then we'll have to decide what to do with the list. We could leave it as a list of what works in Windows 8.0, or we could update it for 8.1. Another way to go would be to create a separate list for 8.1, or maybe to state in each listing whether it also works on 8.1.

Maybe somebody here (with the time to try out the official preview of 8.1) can test the listed items and report back as to whether they work or not.

--JorgeA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lenovo has reached an agrement with one of the Start Button/Menu replacement providers on our list, to factory-install it on their computers:

Full Pokki Suite Will Be Preloaded on All Lenovo PCs, With Native Windows App Support in Store

Lenovo has agreed to preload onto all of its new PCs the full range of SweetLabs’ Pokki software, which tweaks the Windows operating system, the companies announced today.

Discussion of the pros and cons of this move should go in the Deeper Impressions thread. ;)

--JorgeA

Jorge, you can add one more way to get the Start Menu to the list ... get a Mac ! :lol:

I really can't believe I just said that.

:w00t::D

Yeah, really!! It does tell you something when an Apple OS starts looking like a friendlier computing environment than Windows.

But we'll leave that discussion for "over there"... ;)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

• 1 month later...

Tihiy, the developer of StartIsBack, was the subject of an interview on Neowin last week where he gives some of his professional background and the motivation for creating this Start Menu replacement. Well worth reading!

Thanks to @CharlotteTheHarlot for the tip. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Now that Windows 8.1 has been released, time permitting I will go through the master list and try to determine which of them also work on Win8.1, or have separate new versions that do.

If you've tried any of the Start Button/Menu replacements on the list, please let us know if they did (or didn't) work on Windows 8.1, and preferably if they've put out a version that does work there.

--JorgeA

Also via @Charlotte, Neowin has also published a new interview with the creator of Classic Shell, Ivo Beltchev, on the Windows 7-style Start Menu and other program features introduced with their recently released version 4.0. Another good, short read.

--JorgeA