Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

JorgeA

Wow Laurence, thank you -- you saved me a ton of work!! :thumbup:thumbup I wish there were an official way to give you Kudos, as in some forums.

Yes, we sensibly hope that an updated product will mean improvements. We shall see. The drum's rolling...

Great to hear from you again! :hello: All the best to you too.

--JorgeA

Odd. Lenovo's page for Windows 8 support still lists the QuickLaunch button, but when you click on the link, the result says that "the document is not available."

A search on the Toshiba site for Desktop Assist yields nothing (literally a blank page for me).

We'll remove both of these. Too bad.

--JorgeA

• 3 weeks later...

News is that Windows 8.1 ("Blue") will feature a revived Start Button in the Taskbar.

The question, as asked over in the "Deeper Impressions" thread, is whether this new button -- which reportedly cannot be disabled and only brings up a Metro-style full screen -- will make it impossible to use existing third-party Start Button/Menu replacements. Anybody who knows or can figure out whether we'd still be able to install our own, please let us know.

If the new Start Button can't be disabled or replaced, it might make this whole sticky pointless.

--JorgeA

News is that Windows 8.1 ("Blue") will feature a revived Start Button in the Taskbar.

The question, as asked over in the "Deeper Impressions" thread, is whether this new button -- which reportedly cannot be disabled and only brings up a Metro-style full screen -- will make it impossible to use existing third-party Start Button/Menu replacements. Anybody who knows or can figure out whether we'd still be able to install our own, please let us know.

If the new Start Button can't be disabled or replaced, it might make this whole sticky pointless.

--JorgeA

At the end of the day, 8.1 is only available through the windows store, it's not coming through windows update, so it's entirely up to you if you want to use it, I am sure there will continue to be security updates for the 8.0 release, so if the 8.1 release brings nothing that anybody wants and only continues to lock down the OS even more then we can just skip it all together.

At the end of the day, 8.1 is only available through the windows store, it's not coming through windows update, so it's entirely up to you if you want to use it, I am sure there will continue to be security updates for the 8.0 release, so if the 8.1 release brings nothing that anybody wants and only continues to lock down the OS even more then we can just skip it all together.

Well the Store for updates, yes, but it will be coming on new systems pre-installed. I imagine a lot of hapless victims of Windows 8 Blew will look at their brand new system and hit Google, try to install one of these utilities in order to repair this Microsoft bug and be out of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Removing Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8 from the list, as Tihiy has replaced that project with StartIsBack (already listed).

Obviously I am very familiar with StartIsBack, but I think I still occasionally see someone mention that they are still using Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8. But of course, if Tihiy no longer supports the project, and/or it is no longer available for download, and if Tihiy agrees that it should be removed from the list, then that would take priority over any other opinions.

Cheers and Regards

Removing Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8 from the list, as Tihiy has replaced that project with StartIsBack (already listed).

Obviously I am very familiar with StartIsBack, but I think I still occasionally see someone mention that they are still using Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8. But of course, if Tihiy no longer supports the project, and/or it is no longer available for download, and if Tihiy agrees that it should be removed from the list, then that would take priority over any other opinions.

Cheers and Regards

Yeah, I removed it because over in the StartIsBack forum they're telling people that Win7Ex4Win8 is no longer in development and to use SiB instead.

What do you think, should I post a question in there as to whether to de-list Win7Ex4Win8 from here?

--JorgeA

Removing Revel Software's BringBack from the list, as the developer has decided to focus on other projects and the program is no longer available for download.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

I removed it because over in the StartIsBack forum they're telling people that Win7Ex4Win8 is no longer in development and to use SiB instead.

What do you think, should I post a question in there as to whether to de-list Win7Ex4Win8 from here?

I didn't think it was being developed any further, but I thought I had seen that there were people still using it, either in the SiB thread or in BigMuscle's Aero Glass for Win8 thread, I'm not sure which. I would send a PM to Tihiy and ask him and his decision should rule. Without input from him, I'd say that if the DL link still existed and was active, and I just checked and it is, then leave it listed. If Tihiy didn't want it used any more then I assume he would take the link down and post a notice to use SiB instead. Don't get me wrong, I have no idea at all why someone would want to use Win7Ex4Win8 instead of SiB, and I don't think they should, but I'm just saying ...

Cheers and Regards

I removed it because over in the StartIsBack forum they're telling people that Win7Ex4Win8 is no longer in development and to use SiB instead.

I didn't think it was being developed any further, but I thought I had seen that there were people still using it, either in the SiB thread or in BigMuscle's Aero Glass for Win8 thread, I'm not sure which. I would send a PM to Tihiy and ask him and his decision should rule. Without input from him, I'd say that if the DL link still existed and was active, and I just checked and it is, then leave it listed. If Tihiy didn't want it used any more then I assume he would take the link down and post a notice to use SiB instead. Don't get me wrong, I have no idea at all why someone would want to use Win7Ex4Win8 instead of SiB, and I don't think they should, but I'm just saying ...

That sounds good, I'll PM Tihiy.

The most recent post on the Win7Ex4Win8 thread was back in February. I posted the question there last night and nobody (yet) has replied.

I read somewhere that using Win7Ex4Win8 you can eliminate Metro completely -- as in, it will never show up and you can't call it up until you uninstall Win7Ex4Win8. Does StartIsBack have this capability too?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

I read somewhere that using Win7Ex4Win8 you can eliminate Metro completely -- as in, it will never show up and you can't call it up until you uninstall Win7Ex4Win8. Does StartIsBack have this capability too?

To my knowledge, no.

Cheers and Regards