Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

JorgeA

Startup Menu and Orb Powered by Rainmeter

http://exper1mental.deviantart.com/art/Startup-Menu-and-Orb-Powered-by-Rainmeter-341889726

Questions & Answers:

What is this?

A rainmeter based application that allows Windows 8 users to bring back the start menu and start orb.

What does it do?

It creates a start menu (not as fancy as the standard start menus of older Windows versions, at least, not yet)

What do you mean by "Rainmeter Powered"?

I call it that because that is the program used to create and run the start menu.

For those of you who have Rainmeter, this is not a replacement, this is a stand-alone Rainmeter skin and application. It will not affect your current Rainmeter files unless you extract it to them.

startup_menu_and_orb_powered_by_rainmeter_by_exper1mental-d5njvsu.png

First I had to get a handle on what Rainmeter is, but now I can put this one on the list.

Rainmeter is hardcore FTW ( as the kids might say ). Seriously amazing creations are possible. They fully exploited the Vista+ concept of gadgets ( really one of the prototypes for Live Tiles ) and the even older concept of themes, resulting in a fusion of these ideas into super-themes. And it works on WinXP also.

Bummer! Consider it done.

But, thanks for reporting it, and indeed for continuing to review the list info. :thumbup No doubt there are many visitors and lurkers out there who also appreciate it!

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot links us to the following story (thanks!):

Would be interesting to know how some of the other Start Menu replacements are doing in terms of downloads/sales. Clearly, there is significant demand out there for this sort of thing.

However, the content of the article strongly suggests that Pokki is tracking how people use their program (and not simply the number of times it's downloaded), so you may want to keep that in mind when considering this particular Start Menu replacement.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

@JorgeA: This is a really handy thread. Thanks.

I have recently started trialing StartIsBack. The standout feature of this program, I think, is that it can optionally disable the display of desktop apps in the W8 start screen. Furthermore, it does not show metro apps in the StartIsBack menu. This means that desktop app launcher and metro app launcher are completely separate (StartIsBack menu and W8 start screen respectively) which I like a lot. Before I settle on StartIsBack, are there any other start menu replacements which have this feature?

Unrelated - when I try to view page 3 of this thread, my browser (google chrome) gives the following malware warning:

post-369792-0-62493600-1356202769_thumb.

Edited by ozaz

The image in the signature of Ultimatesilence is a seemingly plain .jpg hosted there:

hxxp://yyyy.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/7preh.gif

If that is the culprit, each and every page where there is a post by that member should give you that same warning.

jaclaz

@JorgeA: This is a really handy thread. Thanks.

You're welcome -- glad to see it's making a difference!

I have recently started trialing StartIsBack. The standout feature of this program, I think, is that it can optionally disable the display of desktop apps in the W8 start screen. Furthermore, it does not show metro apps in the StartIsBack menu. This means that desktop app launcher and metro app launcher are completely separate (StartIsBack menu and W8 start screen respectively) which I like a lot. Before I settle on StartIsBack, are there any other start menu replacements which have this feature?

I'm not aware of other Start Menu replacements that can do this, but then I haven't really focused on that feature. Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Unrelated - when I try to view page 3 of this thread, my browser (google chrome) gives the following malware warning:

Huh, weird. Sounds like it may be a FP. I keep one antivirus and two anti-malware programs resident, and none of them gives a warning for that or anything else on that page.

Maybe VirusTotal could shed some light on the matter.

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot links us to the following story (thanks!):

Would be interesting to know how some of the other Start Menu replacements are doing in terms of downloads/sales. Clearly, there is significant demand out there for this sort of thing.

--JorgeA

Classic Shell has 2.5 million :thumbup: http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/stats/timeline?dates=2009-11-28+to+2012-12-23